Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sharp Pain in Right Side

I am 5 weeks post-op and have been getting this sharp, shooting pain in my right side just below my ribs for the last 2-3 weeks. The pain is so intense it takes my breath away. There is nothing that triggers the pain; it seems to come and go out of nowhere. I've asked my surgeon about it twice and he said it's nothing to worry about as long as I'm not running a fever. The pain was so bad and so persistent yesterday I was considering going to the ER. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm beginning to wonder if it's something completely unrelated to the surgery.

Do you have your gall bladder? Could be that. I'd see a regular doctor and have it checked out. It may be something totally unrelated to bariatric surgery.

Do you have your gall bladder? Could be that. I'd see a regular doctor and have it checked out. It may be something totally unrelated to bariatric surgery.

Yes agreed. Call your doc right away. It sounds like gallbladder. I had mine removed 5 months post sleeve. I have heard of others having it that early. You don't want to end up in the ER.

They can remove it liposcopic. If you end up in er it is an attack and it is open surgery and longer recovery.

I am not trying to scare you. I'm not a doc but sounds like what I had. Super easy surgery and in and out same day. I was just bummed to have to have surgery again. I am fine now and no issues knock on wood. :)

I also experienced sharp pains on my right and left side. Dr told me it was normal. Eventually it did stop. Good luck

Not to downplay the seriousness, but it isn't often open when you end up in the ER with an attack. That's what happened to me... In the ER with an attack and my gall bladder was out less than 16 hours later but it was still laprascopic.

I would definitely get it checked out. The sharp pain doesn't seem typical gallbladder though. It's more of a dull burning pain usually. Can you track it to after a fattier meal? That's typical of a gall bladder attack...an hour or so after a fatty meal.

Just saying.....I am not a doctor.......just sharing my experience with pain under the ribs on the right side.

There are two possibilities I can think of:

One: I had my gallbladder out at the age of 21, in 1973 - back when they cut you half in two. I remember the pain like it was yesterday.........a sharp pain on my right side, under the ribs. Sometimes it would hit me in my back, like someone was stabbing me with a butcher knife and grinding it around, just under my shoulder blade. The only thing that helped was lying on the cold tile floor on my bare back. One night while I was laying on the floor, the pain was sooooooo bad I thought I was going to die. After ending up in th E.R., they misdiagnosed my pain as an ulcer and gave me something creamy to drink. Almost immediately, my gallbladder cramped up and burst. During emergency surgery, the surgeon had to "go fishing" all around my abdominal cavity to clean up the mess. I was in the hospital eleven days with a bad recovery experience.

Like Jess9395 suggested, pay attention to what you ate most recently before the pain attacks. A sore gallbladder reacts painfully to foods that are creamy, rich, or spicy. That being the case....do not let it ride. Get that thing out if a doctor or E R says so. You can get along quite well without one.

Two: In 2009, I began having sharp burning pains under my ribs on the right side. It would hit suddenly like lightening, without warning. It took me down to the ground several times. After some testing, it was determined to be thoracic radiculopathy caused by a herniated disc. Neuropathies are nerve pains that feel sometimes like you are being tazed in the area that hurts. It's kind of rare, but one of my sisters has it, too. This also was a very real clue that my weight was causing my spine to collapse. 14 of my discs are herniated, now. Anywho, that condition is being medicated with Lyrica and epidural steroids to postpone inevitable surgical reconstruction of my spine as long as possible. Getting my sleeve has helped tremendously with getting the weight (and the pressure and gravity it creates) off my spine.

Since you asked for opinions, here is mine: Get a second professional opinion. Do not minimize the importance of pain. Your body is trying to tell you that something is wrong. "Google-itis" (the instict to look things up on the internet) will get you nowhere and just confuse and worry you. Call a doctor ASAP. If the pain takes you down.....please go to the E R.