Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am driving myself nuts, as I know myself and the fact that I've lost 80lbs on my own about 8 times in 15yrs or so only to gain it all back plus some and now I'm 282lbs at 5 '4 my highest was 301lbs... and once again miserable, I know I can't do this anymore to myself, I'm exhausted! I just want to make the decision once and for all to have the surgery and not be so terrified of it. BUT every day I go back and forth in my thoughts of not doing it because it may be a big mistake. All the what if's. As it stands amazingly I am healthy with only sleep apnea. But I know it's gonna catch up to me if I don't do something.

I'd been at least overweight since I was 8 years old. Lost the same 50 pounds multiple times. Didn't really have health problems until I turned 40, then WHOA! Hi BP, Hi cholesterol, asthma, borderline diabetes, anxiety and general pain and lethargy. I did not have the energy to work so hard at losing it again only to be unable to maintain the loss, so I decided that NOT doing it scared me more than doing it. Good decision for me! I've lost 80+ pounds, am near goal and prescription free except for the omeprazole the surgeon put me on post-op. High BP, asthma, high cholesterol and high sugars are a thing of the past and I'm enjoying my new size 6 jeans! Best of luck in your decision!

You just may not be ready yet to commit to this...because that's what it is. It's a commitment. No matter what WLS you have, it's just a tool and you still have to put in the work. You'll know when you've really had enough. It may be due to health issues as it is for many on this forum, or you may just finally decide your life has been impacted enough.

Hang out here on the forum for a while....read the good and bad about WLS and good luck with whatever decision you make.

Your weight will catch up with you. I had no issues either. Then my knee started bothering me. I was borderline diabetic and borderline high blood pressure. I am afraid of what would come next. My surgery is July 16th and I am afraid as well.

@a new begining Maybe you should talk to your primary care doctor to get their opinion. They know your medical history and will ask about family history and such and might be able to give you good advice.

You might also attend a free seminar that the surgeons do to tell you more about surgery... it's a good way to get information and they usually have some former patients there. Contact a local surgeon's office to see if they offer seminars. You can also set up a consult with a surgeon and ask them questions. However -- know that the seminars are usually pretty convincing and the surgeon will most likely recommend surgery -- so just know in advance those will be somewhat biased opinions.

I struggled a little with the decision. I'm fairly "lightweight" (BMI just qualifies with comorbidities) and have sleep apnea and reflux. So, I'm not fighting the diabetes and blood pressure and orthopedic issues many here are fighting. But, I wanted to do this because I KNOW I'm very likely to be unsuccessful trying to take the weight off any other way -- it's been here too long. I want to avoid all those complications if possible and have the surgery now while I'm relatively healthy enough that it's not as risky as it is if you have all those other problems.

I actually felt very relieved and encouraged when the surgeon told me he thought I was in a great position to do the surgery and that I will most likely be very successful with it. I'm still nervous about it (go in Monday morning) but I am convinced it is the best thing I can do for my health.

Best wishes!

I don't know your age, but I am 5j8 and have been yo-yo most of my life. I was going back and forth on this too but I realized that all the things I love to do and how the weight holds me back, that even the times I have been moderately successful on my own I haven't been able to sustain . . . so if I don't take the opportunity with this tool it'll just be years of the same over and over again for the rest of my life. At least, with the sleeve, I'll know I tried everything and, knowing that I have to work on my brain anyway, I have a good chance of being able to work on it from the GOOD end of weight feeling good and being able to move vs always fighting my way down while feeling crappy and not being able to do anything. I will be fighting to stay feeling good! In a much better frame of mind while being able to buy cute clothes, run, play volleyball, do crossfit and actually progress in all those activities. That is what convinced me.

Just wanted to let you know I feel the same way. I do not have any co-morbidities, so it makes my decision a bit tougher.

I'm scared and very indecisive.

Thank you to those that have replied. I have found your responses to be very helpful.

I had no comorbidities but I was tired of feeling so bad being over weight and "dieting" for 40plus years.

But once I made up my mind that this was right for ME, I was thrilled and couldn't wait until surgery! And I was just as excited as they wheeled me into OR!