Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's the timeline for eating some of these typical foods?

Whether I should eat them or not, I'm curious about when you can have a few bites of some food you may want to try again, or are there things permanently off the list due to small tummy size?

• pizza
  • bagel
  • Mexican food: nachos, tacos, etc.
  • pretzel
  • salad
  • corn on the cob
  • avocado
  • nuts
  • lasagna

Again, not the pre-surgery portion sizes, and maybe just a couple of bites, but I wonder when the stomach can handle some of these. Thanks!

salad 3 months<br />Refried Beans, mushy stage, about 4-5 weeks<br />Avocado 2 months<br />Nuts, 6 months<br /><br />The rest we don't go there. No bread and Pasta in our house and no sweets. A few bites of something you might be okay but a bagel would stick in your chest like lead. I make ground beef/turkey and add taco season but no shell or tortillas. You might get by with something a time or two, a few bites, and feel like it would be okay, and the next time maybe not so lucky. I had a small piece of soft chicken get stuck in my chest at 5 weeks and learned a lesson I won't soon forget. Felt like a heart attack. Good luck and here's to healthier living!

I talked with a guy today that is 2 years out, he can drink a six pack of beer and has lost half his old body weight and is keeping it off. I would not suggest doing so. At day 6 after surgery I did try some beef jerkey and granola in my greek yogurt and had no problems. I did not push it. Tomorrow I see the Doc and will go over what I can and cant eat. I really want to get to soft food ASAP.My biggest problem has been OD'ing on all the salt in creamed Soup and broth. pudding is OK in small amounts along with greek yogert. Protien shakes, well what can I say about them. Nobody likes them,, but I can tolerate them better than salt.

I am over 5 months out and breads, Pasta, pizza, rice etc... are still a huge no no for me! I did try a bite of bread once and it hurt a lot. I wont be doing that again. Although a half a slice of toast every now and then with an egg does not bother me. Try and stay away from carbs if you can. I keep my carb intake low and I concentrate on Protein.

It seems like everyone is different on this. What they can tolerate (and what is a bad idea always/trigger food).

I am 2 months post op and I have had a little bit of pizza. Maybe two bites with the crust and a little more of the toppings but still not the whole slice of toppings. I has also had a few chips (then a few more so the are on my slippery slope list lol). I also had some bite size chocolates which also settled fine and did not cause me to go on a sugar binge.

Everyone is different. Once your program clears you for a certain type of food, try it at home. Just a few bites and see how you do.

For me, the doughy texture of pizza and Bagels didn't work the entire first year. Same for Pasta more than a couple of bites. Even now, more than three years out, flour tortillas don't sit well.

Spicy foods bothered me the first few months (even acidic fruits, such as peaches and plums were a no go), so only the mildest mexican foods till around 6 months for me.

I did fine with tortilla chips, avocado, nuts, pretzels, and corn on the cob within the first four months or so.

But I really worked my program so anything fatty or very starchy was very limited until I got very close to goal.

Lynda

I find that bread doesn't bother me at all. Toasted, untoasted, white, wheat.. Pasta goes down fine too. I literally weigh out an ounce of Pasta and and weigh out a 1 oz turkey meatball and sauce however. I made a chicken quesadilla at home, but used small flour tortilla shells and again, weighed out a 2 oz portion and refrigerated the rest (or fed it to my husband who has the metabolism of an angry hot furnace). I haven't tried pizza. I had a bad reaction to sausage post op. I'm afraid pepperoni or other greasy foods will cause me to barf like the sausage did. Of course, my nutritionist had sausage on a list of foods to avoid but the devil made me do it because I love(ed) sausage.

Everyone is different. Once your program clears you for a certain type of food, try it at home. Just a few bites and see how you do.

For me, the doughy texture of pizza and Bagels didn't work the entire first year. Same for Pasta more than a couple of bites. Even now, more than three years out, flour tortillas don't sit well.

Spicy foods bothered me the first few months (even acidic fruits, such as peaches and plums were a no go), so only the mildest mexican foods till around 6 months for me.

I did fine with tortilla chips, avocado, nuts, pretzels, and corn on the cob within the first four months or so.

But I really worked my program so anything fatty or very starchy was very limited until I got very close to goal.

Lynda

I would likely have to off myself if I could not eat flour tortillas.... Ugh

This is great info, thanks. I will keep Bagels, breads, Pizza Crust and soft tortillas on the banned list for several months and revisit 6 months out. I saw a recipe for avacado where you mush some up with a little olive oil, splash of balsamic, some salt, pepper and a little dried basil. I thought once I could have mushy foods I might try half a Tbsp. or so. I think I'll want savory by then. I'm trying to start a list of good mushy, non-sweet foods and refried Beans might be good too. What else makes a nice mush?

tuna.< /p>

Soft chicken (poach or boil, shred and mix with some kind of sauce)

eggs

Ham (grind in food processor or blender then add light mayo and greek yogurt to taste)

Lynda

tuna.< /p>

Soft chicken (poach or boil, shred and mix with some kind of sauce)

eggs

Ham (grind in food processor or blender then add light mayo and greek yogurt to taste)

Lynda

I like the ham salad idea and I'll look for some low fat/cal flavored mayos or yogurts. I can start eating pureed and mush this weekend so I'll do some shopping for some of these.

Whether I should eat them or not, I'm curious about when you can have a few bites of some food you may want to try again, or are there things permanently off the list due to small tummy size?

• pizza
  • bagel
  • Mexican food: nachos, tacos, etc.
  • pretzel
  • salad
  • corn on the cob
  • avocado
  • nuts
  • lasagna

Again, not the pre-surgery portion sizes, and maybe just a couple of bites, but I wonder when the stomach can handle some of these. Thanks!

I am a year out and my ability to eat those items?

• pizza I was about 8 months out before I could get down 1/2 slice without the crust. And it makes me feel horrid.
  • bagel Not going to happen. Sticks terribly.
  • Mexican food: nachos, tacos, etc. Tortillas stick. meat, cheese, Beans, salsa are staples from soft foods to present.
  • pretzel Soft, NO. Hard, 6 months.
  • salad Chopped, at 3 months out but I rarely eat salad because the veggies fill me up and I can't eat Protein.
  • corn on the cob See above,
  • avocado From mushy foods on. A staple in my house.
  • nuts From three months on. A staple in my house.
  • lasagna Nope. Pasta makes me vomit.

So, mixed results on eating some favorite foods. Looks like pizza and Pasta may be behind me. The good thing is my last pasta and pizza were sitting my trip to Boston a couple odds weeks ago. Pizza from the North End and a pizza pie that was amazing. I can live with those memories. Some Beans and avocado and cheese and smaller clothes, excellent!

Edited by hrhlaurie

ok i hate to be the killjoy, but after i go through this surgery, there is NO WAY i am going back to what I was eating before surgery. Lets Face it, we the overweight or obese are just like junkies or alcoholics. Part of recovery is not going back to those things that got you there in the first place for a very very long time or even at all!

From every thing i have read, you are supposed to eat Protein first, then veggies and fruits, then if there is room carbs.

I get it that you will most likely have cravings but fight them! don't give in!

If you are not going to do what you know you are supposed to do, why did you have the surgery in the 1st place?

I am still a few weeks out and I have already started preparing myself for what is to come. Ive gotten rid of all the crap in my house, started drinking Protein shakes twice a day.

I made this decision and became informed. And although I may miss some foods, I will not cave into them, not this time!!!

ok i hate to be the killjoy, but after i go through this surgery, there is NO WAY i am going back to what I was eating before surgery. Lets Face it, we the overweight or obese are just like junkies or alcoholics. Part of recovery is not going back to those things that got you there in the first place for a very very long time or even at all!

From every thing i have read, you are supposed to eat Protein first, then veggies and fruits, then if there is room carbs.

I get it that you will most likely have cravings but fight them! don't give in!

If you are not going to do what you know you are supposed to do, why did you have the surgery in the 1st place?

I am still a few weeks out and I have already started preparing myself for what is to come. Ive gotten rid of all the crap in my house, started drinking Protein shakes twice a day.

I made this decision and became informed. And although I may miss some foods, I will not cave into them, not this time!!!

On the other hand, I had this surgery to regain control of my eating. Denying myself during diet after diet was a vicious cycle of denial followed by binge eating. I refuse to ever do that again. My restriction is a wonderful tool that has helped me get back on top of my weight and I refuse to live the rest of my life on a "diet".

I will always log. I will always exercise. I will always eat my protein first. I will *not* deny myself a bite or two of foods I love like I've done for the last few decades. That was my biggest downfall.