Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In need of some advice/words of encouragement

So I was banded in November of 2012 and I started off at 267lbs got down to 169lbs. Then about 6 mos ago I dont know what happened to where my sugar cravings havr gotten the best of me. I fimd myself wanting all the things I know I shouldn't eat. Also I'm afraid of having any complications with my band. My husband says he noticed that I eat faster now. Which is not good. I need to know that there is hope to get back on track. I jave gained 12lbs back and I can feel it. Please I need some advice or just some words of encouragement. I have know other person in my life who understands what I'm going through with the lapband.

I would go talk to your WLS Dr. asap ! I dont know when your last fill was, but I find that when I have the proper amount of fill, I get full so quick from the Protein and fruits /veggies, that i have waaaay less interest in sweets. ( sweets are my personal demons. If I could , id live in a candy store.....sigh.....) Go see your Dr and tell him whats happening BEFORE this gets any worse ! Good luck !

If you are craving sweets a lot you are either eating too many carbs which make you crave carbs or you could also have an overgrowth of candida in your body. I would talk to your surgeon but the more sweets you eat the more you will want them.

Hi Roxie, great advice above -- see your surgeon to regroup and address the sugar addiction. I think you are ready -- you're here! No sliders. We know what that means. Choose yourself first and your health, you are showing up for Roxie right now -- squash this sugar thing. Three days and the cravings will go away then you can look deeper and see if you can figure out what that's all about. There are so many reasons we feed ourselves. Realizing we don't want to do it anymore, that it's futile and makes us so unhealthy, etc., is one thing, then identifying the triggers is key of we can avert them -- and having a properly adjusted band can give you that edge to make the right choices. You, your life, your health -- those are the right choices. You deserve it.

Thanks guys. I needed to hear all that positive reinforcement. I need to get back on it for me#

So I was banded in November of 2012 and I started off at 267lbs got down to 169lbs. Then about 6 mos ago I dont know what happened to where my sugar cravings havr gotten the best of me. I fimd myself wanting all the things I know I shouldn't eat. Also I'm afraid of having any complications with my band. My husband says he noticed that I eat faster now. Which is not good. I need to know that there is hope to get back on track. I jave gained 12lbs back and I can feel it. Please I need some advice or just some words of encouragement. I have know other person in my life who understands what I'm going through with the lapband.

o.k... i could write just about the exact post you have written here. Youve been banded just after i was.... i was in march of that year . It seems that about two years pulls us up if we are going to have some issues. Im eating quicker as well.. ive had issues with tummy inflammation and have have a gall bladder out as well... but aside from that my experience has been like yours. Its time to stand and evaluate . Write down in two columns... plus and minus. the good things and the bad things.. getting them down onto paper often does help. It certainly sounds like you have a sugar addiction. Have you got any issues, emotional? that could pull you down into emotional eating. It seems that after about two years we have pretty well worked out what we cant eat to get around the band... unfortunately !! if not emotional eating, then you have a sugar addiction.. you can deal with that though. eat normally about five days a week and for two days, not consecutive, only eat 500 calories in 24 hours.. This may help you with your cravings. Its very good for setting a right balance again in your body. Or ? candidia... if you arent sure.. check candidia on line. I would be doing that just to have peace of mind about it all. The 5-2 eating plan is a good one though. Its good for liver, stomach, blood pressure, you name it, its got benefits... worth trying. you can google 5 - 2 online as well. good luck.

Years ago some cartoonist, Larsen I think, who published a single frame cartoon that summarized my own life at just that moment.

There was a office building being swept down river and about ready to plummet over the falls. It was on fire in the upper story, and the window was broken. I don't recall whether someone was in the window....but the large sign attached to the roof proclaimed this was a "Crisis Clinic".

I was a social worker in the depths of my own despair facing a pending divorce. One catastrophe upon another, seemed beyond remedy.

Of course this may not relate to your own situation, yet for me it somehow helped me focus on finding a solution to the most imminent peril.

You know what to do regarding your healthy life style as a postOp Bandster.

You've done it with success before today.

Just what is keeping you from doing what you already know how to do?

Cheers on your journey.

Hi, I can totally relate to your fears. When my band sliped I was scared. I was afraid to have my band removed. Fortunately my band was intact and my surgeon just repositioned it and I have been fine.It was a pain to do but worth the time. Call me and I can help support you. My number is 308-630-2249. Mona

Roxie, what's been going on? How are you doing? I hope you've been successful getting back on track. Your weight loss has been amazing.

Just a thought...and it may not apply to you...could you be a smidge too tight? Reason why I ask is that I was doing really well, losing weight consistently, following the rules, etc., but got dumb and listened to my husband's advice and got a .1cc fill over a year ago. That's not anything, but it put me in the red zone.

For a year, I've been uncomfortable, gaining weight (50 pounds, ughhh), and eating tons of sweets and other sliders. I had no desire to eat healthy.

Well, I finally got my head on straight and decided to listen to ME and my body and made an appointment with my doctor a week and a half ago. My husband was still urging me to get a full when I knew exactly what I needed...a reset. The nurse took 2.0cc out of the 3.5cc that was in my band. I IMMEDIATELY felt relief and IMMEDIATELY wanted to follow the rules again.

I have not craved one unhealthy sweet, chips, other sliders, carbonated drink, etc. since my unfill. I WANT to eat healthy and feel tons better. I have also lost 10.4 pounds in a week and a half.

So, in saying all of this, I urge you to listen to your body when trying to figure out what you need. Don't wait like I did.

Best wishes,

Amanda