Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I am having my surgery on June the 2nd i am excited and scared. My mom passed away a year ago may 25 from gastric bypass. and it scares me but i know that if i don't have the surgery then i will die young and be unhappy my hole life. im 6'8 and weigh 474 pounds. i have a younger brother who is 6'1 and maybe 180 soaking wet lol. i just want to feel normal every where i go everyone always stares and says damn how big are you. i just try and laugh it off but it hurts im excited for an opportunity to change my life for the better. I know its what my mom wanted me to do so im doing this for her also she was the most important person in my life and even though she is not here, she will still be looking down on me and pushing me to meet my weight loss goals

Wow congratulations on your decision to take your health and get that shit straight!! This is a huge decision, but one I know will be worth it when we are 1 year post op and we feel better than we ever have!! You got this! It takes a lot of strength to follow through with this!! Happy life right around the corner!!!

I am so sorry for your loss. You are so strong and headed in the direction I plan to soon follow. I wish you well.

My husband and I were sleeved, him on 12/2/13. He was obese all his life and the health problems kept multiplying, the worst being diabetes. He is 67. He is down from 320 to 240 and feels better than he has in years. I am very sorry about your Mother and I know you must be really nervous, but like I told my husband before surgery, he needed to be more afraid NOT to have the sleeve because of his health. The sleeve has changed our lives completely and we would do it again in a heartbeat. BTW we went to WL seminars 10 years and until the sleeve was perfected we rejected the other types of surgeries. It is a scary decision, but we would have had a better quality of life if we had been able to have the sleeve sooner. God Bless.

You are my inspiration today. I am so sorry that you lost your mom, and I am so proud of you for honoring her in this lovingly brave way by taking charge of your health and having your surgery. I will be sooo thinking about you on June 2. You deserve all the very best life can bring you, and it will be yours.

Take good care and be well. Please update us and let us know how you are doing.

As a mom myself, I know that nothing is more important to me than the health and happiness of my children. I'm sure that your mom would be so happy to know that you're taking steps to regain your health, and her loving spirit just wants you to be happy.

My deep sympathy for your loss and my admiration for your courage. There are lots of great people on this site, generous with support and information. I wish you every success as you travel this road.

I just scheduled my gastric sleeve for 06-26-2014. I am terrified but excited at the thought of a new me. I feel like I will be ok with what I have read regarding long term changes. Does anyone have any news for me regarding your life after sleeve. Any regrets for the permanent changed route verses lap band.

I just scheduled my gastric sleeve for 06-26-2014. I am terrified but excited at the thought of a new me. I feel like I will be ok with what I have read regarding long term changes. Does anyone have any news for me regarding your life after sleeve. Any regrets for the permanent changed route verses lap band.

Just like to say to you that life is wonderful, we have never had a day of sickness or nausea with the sleeve. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Hardly anyone knows we had surgery, just that we are dieting.

betterbeginnings, on 01 Jun 2014 - 18:47, said:

• Can you eat normal foods? Does food get stuck? all horror stories I want to put to rest.
You have to eat very slow and eat very carefully, making sure you chew well. I choked on a small piece of chicken at 5 weeks, it stuck in mid chest. Thought I was having a heart attack. I went back to mushy foods 2 weeks. At 6 months out for me and my husband, we share a filet mignon and salad. We share a hamburger minus the bun. We have sauteed fresh Florida fish often. Together we eat 1/4 the amount we used to. I buy chicken salad because there is no need to make a big bowl. We generally eat one meal a day except I have yogurt for Breakfast. We do not eat any bread or Pasta, a choice we made because of diabetes. My husband says he knows he can eat anything, he just chews very slow and deliberate. I can eat a few nuts. I am now eating fruit and many veggies. Honestly I cannot think of anything I could not eat, but I just don't have the cravings and it helps not having it in the house. Always eat before you go grocery shopping. Life is good. Hope this helps.

Hi I am having my surgery on June the 2nd i am excited and scared. My mom passed away a year ago may 25 from gastric bypass. and it scares me but i know that if i don't have the surgery then i will die young and be unhappy my hole life. im 6'8 and weigh 474 pounds. i have a younger brother who is 6'1 and maybe 180 soaking wet lol. i just want to feel normal every where i go everyone always stares and says damn how big are you. i just try and laugh it off but it hurts im excited for an opportunity to change my life for the better. I know its what my mom wanted me to do so im doing this for her also she was the most important person in my life and even though she is not here, she will still be looking down on me and pushing me to meet my weight loss goals

I think it's natural to be afraid. I had my sleeve Done on the 21st of May and I told the anesthesiologist I was scared and I started crying. He said let me give you something to make you feel better ..in seconds I looked at him and said that worked fast!!! LOL..then the mask came on and I was out like a light!! Fear is a part of life and when we are about to change what we've known all our life it can overwhelm us....I'm looking forward to reading about your upcoming success!! Wishing you well tomorrow!! The incisions don't hurt..the biggest thing you'll have to deal with is the gas pains right after surgery!! In advance I want to wish you well and Congratulations!!! Here's to our health!!

I am so sorry you lost your Mom. I know she was doing this surgery so that she could be healthy and be here for you. Unfortunately there are rare occasions that serious issues follow behind the surgery. There is no doubt that WLS is a serious operation and should never be taken lightly. There ARE risks with WLS, as there is with any surgery. But there are as many risks for being morbidly obese. You are on the right track. I will keep you in my prayers, and I am sure your mom is watching out for you as well. She is the angel you are feeling on your shoulder. :-). My daughter is waiting for her ins approval ( due to some minor delays in the "hoop jumping."). She should hear within 3 weeks. I have mine on the 17 TH of this month. I would have loved it if she had been able to start this journey with me, but in the end it will happen for her as well. I can honestly say I want success more for her then for me. She has her whole life ahead of her. As with your mom, we want only good things for our children. Good luck and keep us posted. There are lots of " moms " out here who will be happy to offer encouragement and advice and friendship as you go on this journey!

You are in my thoughts. Good luck with the surgery. I wish you a speedy recovery. Should you have any questions we are all here for you. Please let us know how you're doing as soon as youre able to.