Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you do, or has anyone ever regretted getting this sleeve? I am 8 days post op and I feel myself slipping into a depression wishing I wouldn't have ever started this journey. I really hate feeling this way and my husband feels bad that I'm so upset all of the time. Help please any advice or encouragement is more than welcome !!!

I think that's pretty common. I know I was wondering what in the hell I'd gotten myself into at about 8 days. Thank goodness I had done a lot of reading on here to see that it is pretty normal to go through a period like that. Just wait until the weight starts falling off. I am doing things that I haven't done in years and I'm only 8 weeks post-op.

Hang in there.

Kris

Every day gets a little better trust me... I am 15 days out and it has been hard...but what keeps me going is knowing this is not how it's going to be forever. Think of the bigger picture. Good luck. :)

14 days out. Cry all the time and I was so light headed all the time. Turns out its Low Blood pressure. Halved my meds and so much better. Still sad. Was told its normal.

What do you do, or has anyone ever regretted getting this sleeve? I am 8 days post op and I feel myself slipping into a depression wishing I wouldn't have ever started this journey. I really hate feeling this way and my husband feels bad that I'm so upset all of the time. Help please any advice or encouragement is more than welcome !!!

You are at the worst stage Antonia. It's all uphill from here. Keep on sipping the Water and get out and do some walking. The weight will start to fall off and you will feel much more positive.

The 7 or 8 days post-op were the "What the Hell did I do to myself????????" phase. I was pissed at the world and depressed at the same time. But I knew there was no going back. I was in a lot of pain, but knowing what I know now, I'd do it over again in a second. Each day will get a little better.

Remember, this was no minor thing you had done. It was major surgery, no matter how "everyday" it seems to be portrayed in the media and online. Your stomach had a major trauma. Your system is putting all it's resources towards healing and you probably still have some of the residual medication from surgery in your system.

Hang in there, it does get better.

At eight days, it feels like you ran straight into a wall and you wonder what in the world you did to yourself and why. The improvement happens very quickly and you will start to appreciate your choice in a few weeks. Hang in there.

I'm at 7 days, and I must be very lucky, because even with the pain and difficulty I'm having getting out and walking, I haven't had any regrets or the slightest bit of remorse. I feel like this is the best thing that's happened to me in a very long time. My only regret is my partner is not coping with it nearly so well (he has all the regret and remorse)

Getting depressed is very normal. You are stressed, hormonal, in pain, mourning the loss of food, frustrated with things you might want to eat but can't yet. Maybe you aren't losing as fast as you thought you were going to... It varies from person to person but the one thing 90% of us have in common is the depression from the hormones and loss of food. I was very sick after my surgery (uncommon things) for about 3 months. It was hell for me I am not going to lie. I would go through it all again in a heart beat. I have lost 111 lbs in 7 months without barely trying and my body started feeling so much better after even 25-30 of the lbs came off. The joint pain, back pain, no more diabetes, etc.

Be patient and stay strong girl, you got this! Make sure you have a good support system at home and come on here and read and vent as needed because we have been through it too and understand more then people who haven't had weight loss surgeries.

Edited by mamaplumlee

I can echo what everyone else has said. My period of sadness/depression lasted on and off for about 3 weeks. When I started feeling better physically, I had moments of belief that I would survive. By about 8 weeks out, I felt great. I was used to the diet, and I was losing weight, which I had wanted for sooo long. Now, 5 months out, I am off 2 horrible meds (heart rate/blood pressure and cholesterol) and I take tiny amounts of insulin as a Type I diabetic. I am looking forward to reaching my WLS goal and continuing to live healthy.

Could you consult the therapist you saw pre-op? Or find another? They can give you strategies to get through this. And you can do it!

Best of luck! :)

Mine lasted about 5 - 6 days... make yourself get out and walk... and tomorrow walk just a little more then today and so on... even if you can only do 5 mins today... tomorrow do 10... it was the BEST thing i could have done for myself... fresh air... clears the mind & helps melt the pounds away... remember why you did this, to get healthy... - this feeling will pass... good luck!!

Very normal....spend some time looking at before and after photos, read succese stories, do things that help you remember why you started this...keep your eye on the prize. Promise it gets better....

Wow I am so sorry feelinv of regret...Im 10days out and feel great for the most part...Push yourself to get to moving and get some Sun....I pray for your strength and your health in Jesus name

I didn't have regrets exactly but I was quite miserable! I'm 3 weeks post op now and I feel great! Like really great. I did a lot of crying about 1-2 weeks out and I was irritable and sad but that has gone away so far. I do miss being able to eat more. Still getting used to this smaller stomach.

Honestly - only in the beginning. The first few days I had a lot of second thoughts. By day 7 - I started feeling better. My surgery was December, 2013. My only regret now is that I didn't do it sooner. I have a whole new world! whole new life!