Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have several questions - seeking input/opinions & answers. I guessed I missed the "why" during pre-op classes...!

#1: why no straws? And does this ever change?

#2: sugar - why can't we have sugar? And what about things like BBQ Sauce, etc. that has sugar - so will I never be able to have frosting or cake or ice cream?

#3: my doctor puts his patients on a medicine for three months to help with acid reflux. I've missed it once or twice. The days I take it I feel like I have the problem and days I didn't take it, it felt better. Is that all mental? Would you call your doc about it?

#4: I am half way through week five of eating and I have been trying more things, just mashing it up and such. I haven't had any problems. Yet I fear I am overdoing it. Am I crazy? My body would reject it if I was doing harm, right? I've been focused on high Protein only so I am eating healthy and I ca eat about 1/4 cup of food.< /p>

#5: I have finally hit the wall with my Protein shakes. Can I mix my protein in with fruit and make a smoothie that way? I think I can but I can't help but think I am doing something wrong...!

#6: Snacks - I have a busy schedule and travel some and my snacks have been cheese and hard boiled eggs. What do you do? Protein Bars?

Thanks for your input!

I hear straws add air into your drink and can stretch your tummy, but I see people doing it anyway...sugar can make you feel like you are having the dumping that really comes along with the bypass, you can get sick for about fifteen minutes after, plus some people can tolerate sugar and some not...you don't need a lot of sugar anyways...fruits can be high in carbs, eventually you won't need Protein Shakes, if you count everything, you can get your Protein through foods...I hope this helps some

I have several questions - seeking input/opinions & answers. I guessed I missed the "why" during pre-op classes...! #1: why no straws? And does this ever change? #2: sugar - why can't we have sugar? And what about things like BBQ Sauce, etc. that has sugar - so will I never be able to have frosting or cake or ice cream? #3: my doctor puts his patients on a medicine for three months to help with acid reflux. I've missed it once or twice. The days I take it I feel like I have the problem and days I didn't take it, it felt better. Is that all mental? Would you call your doc about it? #4: I am half way through week five of eating and I have been trying more things, just mashing it up and such. I haven't had any problems. Yet I fear I am overdoing it. Am I crazy? My body would reject it if I was doing harm, right? I've been focused on high Protein only so I am eating healthy and I ca eat about 1/4 cup of food. #5: I have finally hit the wall with my Protein shakes. Can I mix my protein in with fruit and make a smoothie that way? I think I can but I can't help but think I am doing something wrong...! #6: Snacks - I have a busy schedule and travel some and my Snacks have been cheese and hard boiled eggs. What do you do? Protein bars? Thanks for your input!

Hi hope this helps

#1 straws can create air pockets in your sleeve so best not to use them

#2 sugar contains high calories and of course helps us put on weight easily. Excess sugar can create high insulin levels and diabetes- very high though. I wouldn't worry about thing like BBQ sauce though

#3 if you don't have reflux when you don't take it, I wouldn't worry about it, but check with doctor 1st

#4 sounds like you are doing perfect. - anything between 1/4 and 1/2 a cup

#5 you can mix protein with what ever you like

#6 always try real food before turning to bars, both real and better nutrients, your body will tell you if eggs and cheeses is enough, do you still feel hungry? Is the cheese low fat?

I was never told anything about straws and have used them since the day after surgery (even in the hospital they gave me a straw.) So I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Regarding your comment "My body would reject it if I was doing harm, right?" - Your body may tell you if you are doing harm - but I wouldn't count on it. You have to pay attention and know what you are doing. If you have questions - ask your nutritionist or if you don't have one, ask your surgeon to refer you to one.

I refuse to say I can "Never" have something ever again. Moderation moderation moderation.

thesupportedhalf nails it with comments #2-6.

Edited by NICU-RN

I have several questions - seeking input/opinions & answers. I guessed I missed the "why" during pre-op classes...!

#1: why no straws? And does this ever change?

I was told personal choice. My Dr told me some people freak about straws, others don't. He never had any issues with patients that used straws. Extra air in the stomach stretching it? Hell that's what farts and burps are for. If AIR stretches your stomach, Water is gonna make it explode.

#2: sugar - why can't we have sugar? And what about things like BBQ Sauce, etc. that has sugar - so will I never be able to have frosting or cake or ice cream?

For the first few months, easy on the sugar. I tried hard to keep it to natural sugars, fruits etc. Afterwards, you learn to eat healthy and for you as a person. I can eat cake and ice cream just fine. If I overdue it, it's a lot tougher on me even over a year out. I get sick more easily if I overdue the sugary junk. Cut it out at least during the first few months when you're losing the most weight. It'd be best to avoid it afterwards, but well, if you're like me I got a sweet tooth, and indulge a little every once in a while.

#3: my doctor puts his patients on a medicine for three months to help with acid reflux. I've missed it once or twice. The days I take it I feel like I have the problem and days I didn't take it, it felt better. Is that all mental? Would you call your doc about it?

Not a clue here. This may be something you could talk to your Dr about. I take over the counter generic acid reflux pills every day, I don't notice anything if I miss it though.

#4: I am half way through week five of eating and I have been trying more things, just mashing it up and such. I haven't had any problems. Yet I fear I am overdoing it. Am I crazy? My body would reject it if I was doing harm, right? I've been focused on high Protein only so I am eating healthy and I ca eat about 1/4 cup of food.

I had the same fear. Follow the guidelines. Healthy food. Protein first. Make better life choices. Yes, if you overeat, your body should tell you right away to stop being an idiot and get back to focusing on the journey ahead. But don't test the boundaries, especially this early out.

#5: I have finally hit the wall with my protein shakes. Can I mix my protein in with fruit and make a smoothie that way? I think I can but I can't help but think I am doing something wrong...!

I'd start by making them pretty thin. Add ice and Water to thin it out. Have you tried switching Proteins? And what kind are you using right now?

#6: Snacks - I have a busy schedule and travel some and my Snacks have been cheese and hard boiled eggs. What do you do? Protein bars?

Protein bars are a waste of $. The types of protein complexes they use in them aren't worthy of feeding cattle headed to the butcher. It's a poor blend of mixes, usually consisting over intestinal Proteins from animals, quite a bit like hot dogs. You'd be surprised most protein bars and cakes etc contain MSG's, not good for you. They also use a soy blend, not a quality protein.

Thanks for your input!

My responses in red. Feel free to message me any more questions you may have.

I agree with most of the answers listed above. A few minor differences are concerning Protein shakes...You can add "unflavored" Protein to other items you eat. Granted there is still a taste, but if the item it is mixed with is strongly enough flavored you should be ok. Just be careful about adding to hot liquids, it can congeal. (but you CAN bake with protein powder!!! ) And as far as on the go...I eat Quest protein bars. Do your own research and you will find out Quest makes a QUALITY bar. ( I am in no way paid or compensated to endorse, just my two cents.) Most protein bars really are over glorified candy bars and aren't worth a darn. But Quest bars have healthy Proteins, low sugars, and ok calories/ fats/ carbs. I actually eat them as a Breakfast repalcement as they are easy and quick. ( and Breakfast is hard for me to get in weekdays) Just be sure to count the nutrional content into you daily overall. And as far as your sleeve telling you what is ok and what isn't, don't count on that. Yes, for some folks that happens. But I am one of those who has a sleeve of steel, I can tolerate just about everything. I only get sick feeling if I grossly overeat. I am bad about Portion Control, I admit it. And I eat too fast.. I would advise to measure your food and take your time. Allow your body time to keep up with what you are putting into it. You will feel full and realize it if you do eat slower. Eating too fast leads you to overeating because you can put in too much before it all hits your stomach. This is something I still struggle with 7 months out. I don't believe I have "streched" my sleeve as I still feel good restriction and fullness when I eat dense Proteins. But I will tell you if I eat junk I can fit a whole lot more of it in than protein!! ( which is a very bad thing) Overall it sounds like you are on the right course. It is good you are seeking advice and asking questions. Being your own advocate is the best thing you can do! Good luck!!!

1. straws not really an issue. It's just that you may take in air and get bloated or that you may drink a little too much. If you can control it you can use them.

2. sugar. my doc says we are especially volnerable to hypoglucemea and that's why it should be avoided at all costs I make my own stuff at home with stevia.

everything else souds like you're doing great. ask doc about meds

Thank you everyone with your responses. It has given me much to think about & talk about with my doctor & nutritionist. Your answers confirmed a lot things for me too - so I appreciate your time and help!