Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Tips and Tricks

This question is for the veterans out there:

What is your average Protein intake per day? Do you have any tips or tricks for getting in all your protein? A lifetime of Protein shakes has me feeling depressed!

Thanks for your help!

I sleeved on Wedes and I don't know how to get that much Protein in with the shakes...I tried muscle milk and whey design today and nearly gaged I will be taking them back to Meijers and go back to the ones from costco which are the only ones I can drink...I even tried to take my vanilla mix in my pudding and it was sooooooooo sweet I nearly gaged again...good luck to those who are trying to get their protein in

Hi there I am almost 3 months out and I still drink a shake a day (at least one.) My doctor wasn't concerned about this at all.. he said it is pretty normal. It is really hard to get in 60 g of Protein without the shakes... at least for the first year. I am a coffee lover, so lately I have been drinking click mocha and vanilla latte. I also like Syntrax nectar- the double stuffed cookie, chocolate truffle, and cappuchino. I also like Celebrate ENS vanilla cake batter, and that is a plus because you also get in lots of Vitamins with it! Good luck!

I'm almost 5 months out and still drink a Protein shake (at least 24-32oz and 30-40g) every day. It's not a chore...we need fluids anyways so I'm just doing double duty by making it a Protein rich drink. it's what I sip on all morning in between appointments. Every meal or snack I have has protein....chicken, tuna, beef, crab, cheese, deli meat, Greek yogurt, nuts. I try to sneak in some veggies or V8 everyday. I add bananas or peaches or blueberries or apple to my shakes and plain Fage yogurt, so even my fruit involves protein intake. I also add powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored powder to Soups and casseroles and even pancake mix.

Other than knowing what's in my morning drink, I don't track or count anything, so I couldn't tell you how much protein I'm getting. But I do know I can't physically eat any more.

Try different brands/flavors of Protein drinks so you don't burn out. I've currently got Premier chocolate and vanilla, Garden of Life Raw Fit and Raw Vanilla, Syntrax nectar apple, cherry and lemonade, Jay Robb chocolate, piña colada, tropical, and strawberry in my cupboard. I use fruits and PB2 to vary the "base" flavors.

I am usually in the 90+ range. I eat three small meals per day, always Protein first but usually including something else such as green veggies or dried fruit. I do have one or two Protein shakes per day. I also use Greek yogurt as a snack. Besides a little fresh fruit at the end of the day, the only Snacks I allow myself are Protein Shakes and Greek yogurt. It doesn't bother me because I am that weirdo who really likes protein shakes! I did a lot of experimenting with different brands to find my favorites (unjury, Jay Robb, Chike, Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, Syntrax Matrix). I also do a lot of doctoring up protein shakes with different Torani syrups, sugar free pudding mixes, Sweetleaf Sweetdrops flavors, PB2, extracts, Crystal Light -- anything I can think of! So instead of having a plain vanilla or chocolate shake, I might have a white chocolate lemon ginger shake, a peanut brittle shake, or a chocolate chip cookie dough shake. This afternoon I'm going to try out a new shake recipe I cobbled together from a few different ones I found on the internet:

--carb master milk + vanilla Protein Powder + mint extract + peppermint Syrup + pistachio pudding mix + pinch xanthan gum + green food coloring = "Shamrock Shake" - protein style!

ETA - drinking the Shamrock Shake now and I think next time I'll try it without the pistachio pudding. It's good but the mix of pistachio and mint is a little weird tbh.

Edited by Bufflehead

Holy cow, Bufflehead. I thought I was creative,...you are a rock star!

Thanks everyone! It's not the taste I mind so much, it's that I'm having a hard time fitting them in. I'm supposed to e drinking two 8 oz shakes a day. I drink 2-3 oz and I'm stuffed! I'm 11 days out so still on a modified liquid diet (meaning I can have cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, and applesauce). I guess I need to space them out over the day more.

I'm only 3 weeks out, but I usually get 60 oz in. I've started using ff cottage cheese in my shakes. It makes them really creamy and they taste like cheese cake. So, I do 1/2 cup ff cottage cheese. 1/2 cup ff milk and a scoop of Protein powder. I split that into two 4 oz servings. I cover and refrigerate my leftovers. They keep and even get thicker. I've even using jay Robb shake mix. So it comes to a out 23 grams of Protein for each 4 oz serving. You can also use Greek yogurts instead of the cottage cheese, but I don't like sour chocolates or vanillas. So, I save the yogurt for the fruit flavored shakes.< /p>

I also add 2 T of unflavored protein powders to anything I can hide them in.

GREAT ideas everyone. Wow. Im pre op right now but I started drinking Protein Shakes about7 months ago. I was really hoping I could continue making my own post op with some of my own creations ive come up with using sf pudding, spinach etc. I LOVE the cottage cheese idea, I have to try that. How long did you guys wait post op before you were making your smoothies? mushy stage?

@@Micky71 I was making my own Protein Shakes at full liquids, which was one day after surgery for me. But if by smoothie you mean something with blended up fruits or veggies, for that I had to wait until soft foods, 2 months out. My progression was:

1 day clears

4 weeks full liquids (real liquids, not yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. -- so I could have milk-based Protein shakes but not put anything like yogurt or fruit in them)

4 weeks purees

4 months soft foods.

I had to wait until soft foods for anything like a "smoothie" because I wasn't allowed fruit or veg of any kind until soft foods. Only liquids and protein-based foods like meat, dairy, eggs, and Beans.< /p>

We were told we could have yogurt shakes (no fruit) on full liquids the day after surgery. Frankly, it took a few days after that before I could take them unless they were watered down with some extra milk. We were also told puréed strained foods were acceptable. I started the cottage cheese at almost three weeks. That was days before the surgeon allowed me to start on soft foods. The cottage cheese becomes absolutely smooth in the blender. It is the same texture as pudding which you are allowed when you are on full liquids.

9 months out. I get in 60-70 g a day. I still have shakes about 4-5 days a week.

I drink a shake every morning so I start the day with 20 gm of Protein, usually add fruit to the vanilla shakes 3 times a week. lunch is an average of 15-20 gms from meat with veggies. I have an afternoon snack of cheese or cottage cheese/yogurt mix (about 10 gm of protein) dinner I try to get another shake in unless I am with friends, then I try to get 15-20 gm from meat then veggies. So I average 60-70 gm of Protein daily

I know drinking Protein Shakes is the secret to ensuring you meet the daily Protein requirements, but i have been told that my taste buds will change after surgery. I also am worried about boredom with the same flavored protein mix. But when I go on the Amazon site I am overwhelmed with choices, size of containers, and the cost for each individual container. What if I buy something and I don't like it. I am now stuck with a 2lb container costing $30 some bucks. Is there anywhere that you can buy a variety pack of different kinds of protein mixes and flavors?

Check on eBay. I was able to get sample packs of a bunch of different flavors of Syntrax nectar. My local health food store also had individual packets of Garden of Life products. GNC may have individual bottles or packets. You can order Jay Robb sample packs of their whey and egg Protein products from their website. A lot of RTD Protein shakes come in 4 packs at local grocery stores or Walmart.< /p>

Make sure you read labels, though. Some "protein" drinks have more carbs than Protein. I shoot for at least 20g protein and less than 5g carb.