Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was just recently banded, and am now on the "mushies" stage. But I am TERRIFIED of having a stuck episode! Hoping some pros could shed a little light on the subject for me.

How do you know something is stuck? And how soon after eating does it happen?

You usually won't get stuck till you have a fill or two and then it's usually chicken, broccoli, rice, bread, steak. Mostly solid foods.

You'll feel some pressure directly under your sternum and can feel like a golf ball is lodged there for 15-60 minutes. Nothing to fear, just eat slow and chew a lot.

I have never been "stuck"... there are just two foods... actually three (no carbonated beverages) that I do not eat. I don't eat rice or apple skins... they don't get stuck they just feel strange going down. I have tried them several times since being banded but they just feel odd.

When I eat I take bites the size of my pinky finger nail and I chew... and I MAKE SURE I finish what I have in my mouth before I take my second or third bite. That was the hardest habit to break. A lot of people don't realize (banded or not) that they don't finish what they have in their mouth before they take their second or third bite.

Just take it slow and if don't rush going to "normal" food. If your doctor says mushies for weeks stay on them for a week.

Back when I was banded I did a 4 week plan.

Also, remember each person is different try not to compare yourself to others and don't be afraid to try all foods... yes you still have to "diet" with lapband but you can still enjoy the favourite foods but in moderation and feel satisfied... that's why I love my band so much... I don't feel like I missing out on anything.

Hang in there... it does get better!!!

Feel free to ask any questions.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

EM: tomander@bell.net

like tom, i have never been stuck

i think it was because like you, i was TERRIFIED

so i eat slow, take wee bites and chew chew chew ....

dont fret over things that may not even happen

TMF was right, nothing to fear...you rule the band and eating, it just helps you stop..

:)

I've had to practice a lot of mindfulness to unlearn the mindless eating habits of going too fast or having too much at once. And I've been stuck maybe a half a dozen times to help remind me. It's uncomfortable until the food dislodges and then immediate relief. Not a position any of us ever wants to be in but for some of us food bolting types it does happen. I have found the things that don't work for me and Tom is right, this can be very individual. Steamed beets, of all things, as they seem to be too slippery or perhaps grainy. Once it was leftover fish direct from the fridge. I had not eaten for way too long (several hours) and grabbed cold Protein -- did not heat it up and then probably gobbled. It was rubbery. So the moral of the story is chew, chew, chew. Note that being stuck is not like throwing up because the food hasn't been in the stomach, so it's more like spitting up. I can tell that once an episode begins it is going to have to come up. I have used warm Water to get it over with.

been stuck twice since being banded in April 2014. For me it feels like food is stuck at the top of my esophagus. The first time it was because I ate something I should not have...potato chips...I know really dumb. The second time was because I wasn't being mindful to chew my food well. I was talking to my sister and knew the moment I swallowed that I had made a huge mistake. But, I survived.

I am so, so glad to have the experiences of all you "pros" to explain these things, and I want to thank you fo taking the time to post replies to questions like this. It's incredibly helpful to hear good explanations about the stuff that worries me.

My surgery is coming on May 20 and every day I fret about things like will I get stuck, will I throw up a lot, etc.

@@Bandista and @@relief57, I am a food bolter, always have been and I haven't made much progress on chewing slowly. It's "chomp, chomp, swallow" with me and I know learning to undo that will be my biggest challenge.

I am so, so glad to have the experiences of all you "pros" to explain these things, and I want to thank you fo taking the time to post replies to questions like this. It's incredibly helpful to hear good explanations about the stuff that worries me.

My surgery is coming on May 20 and every day I fret about things like will I get stuck, will I throw up a lot, etc.

@@Bandista and @@relief57, I am a food bolter, always have been and I haven't made much progress on chewing slowly. It's "chomp, chomp, swallow" with me and I know learning to undo that will be my biggest challenge.

LOL :o Most of my life I always viewed women as dainty eaters with small appetites. Even women with excess weight. Then I got banded and had to slow down myself. Now, I can't help but watch everyone around me and how they eat. OMG, my wife and daughter eat like they're at an all you can eat buffet and it's a contest to see who can eat the most the quickest? Neither one is obese and maybe could lose 10 lbs but it's hard to ignore how fast people eat and how large the bites are :blush:

@2muchfun I know what you mean about watching people eat now -- it's disgusting! I love being a dainty eater now.

Toomuchrose,

Practice now.

Kaela, it's common courtesy here to at least like or acknowledge when people take the time to respond to your comments/questions?

I never got stuck until my 5th fill. Now I get stuck about once a day. Mostly bread! And hamburger. So I am back to eating fish and Soups mostly. Getting stuck is extremely painful. For me it lasts from 5 minutes to 15 minutes. I seem to be tightest when I wake up. Yogurt is my best Breakfast choice. It keeps me in check.

Yes please take everyones advice and eat small portions and slow. That was the hardest part for me because im a fast eater. My first stuck episode was a piece of chicken strip that i broke off from my son's plate. We were at the bowling alley and i thght that i was going to die. I keep tapping my chest and walking around. Needless to say, i haven't had another piece since. Also, certain breads, and chinese food do not agree with me anymore.

There is an app for the iPhone called Mindful Bite. It was very helpful for me to help me slow down. I am always in a rush and eat a lot on the run, so this was very helpful to me.

YOU WILL KNOW if you get stuck! I have only been stuck a few times, ALL totally my fault, usually taking too big of a bite when I'm super hungry from waiting too long to eat & then NOT CHEWING. I've never been stuck like some people on this site. I've never thrown up & have never had excruciating pain. When I have been stuck, it is uncomfortable. I drank hot Water or hot tea, little sips & that fixed it for me.

I eat with a cocktail fork or a baby spoon/fork to force me to take smaller bites. Also, keep a cup of something warm to drink (even just hot water) next to you while you eat the first month or so until you learn to eat slower & chew.

Edited by gym_addict

Ok just got a fill 2 days ago. 8.5cc in a 10 cc band. Took the tiniest bite of steak, and chewed it up good. Stuck! Stuck! Stuck! Painful for one hour then up it came! Vomited that tiny speck of chewed meat. Uhhhg!