Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just 'How Painful' Are: Panniculectomy, Lower Body Lift, & Brachioplasty?

Hello! It's been ages since I've last logged-in...um the last time was when the site was still called VerticalSleeveTalk.com. ;) So good to be back!

I'm at the end of my weight loss journey, and now beginning the next phase: plastics. Over the coming years, the goal is to have excess skin removed from, well, pretty much EVERYWHERE.

But I just had my first plastics consult, and the first plan of attack will be having the: panniculectomy, Belt-Lipectomy/Lower-Body Lift, and Brachioplasty all done together. I'm well educated on the procedures, as far as research goes and asking questions of my surgeon. But...

Questions.

What am I actually getting myself into? From a firsthand perspective, just how painful is it? And what was your recovery experience like? Have any tips or advice for someone going into all of this?

Good, bad, ugly...lay it on me.

Thanks you guys. :)

I have heard stories of people experiencing alot of pain, but I did not. My pain was managed very well during those first 2-3 days and I hardly needed anything after that beyond the occiasional tylonol... a couple of the drain removals really "smarted" but pain drugs don't help with that kind of sharp pain anyway.

I had a lower body lift, arm lift, breast lift and implants and a "small" thigh lift which just means that he got rid of the pocket of skin on my inner upper thigh and did not go all the way down the leg. I did all that at once and recovery took FOREVER - or so it seemed! It was had to be so restricted in activity and it was miserable feeling at times - although not painful. I really hated being cooped up. It took me much longer to return to "normal" than I expected. Based on talks to many others, I think that active, fit people actually have a higher standard for "normal" and may be more bothered by this than less active people - but that is just my theory.

It was so worth it though, my appearance was completely transformed. Even people who didn't think I needed plastics (I was good enough) were floored and wowed by the transformation. I hope this helps and good luck!

I am particularly interested in the breast lift and panni. myself. Breast lift especially. They are becoming 2 dimensional.

My friend told me her thigh lift was most painful.

How long do you need off work for a panni?

I can safely say - I do believe it depends on the surgeon in many ways as I only had real pain on the inner thigh lift, and ONLY until I was in compression garment - After that it was like all was protected and held snug and no more pain.

Breast reduction and brachioplasty = No pain

Inverted T Tummy Tuck (no muscles touched tho, which is why I believe it wasn't painful) = Discomfort in back by being pulled forwards for a few days but nothing I consider pain and dreadfulness.

Inner Thigh lift = PAIN! On first standing up and going to the bathroom, it was dreadful, but 20mins later when in compression - All was well and I wanted to go home when 20mins before I had said to them 'You can't send me home like THIS!' So they kept me in another day.

Outer thigh lift / butt lift with a tiny amount of Lipo = No pain but ouchy to try to lay on my side to sleep and when first driving - Couldn't lean forward to reach choke on old car I had then.

2nd outer thigh lift with long line scar - No pain at all considering my outer thigh was cut from top to bottom.

I do believe my design veronique compression garments gave me the feeling of security, and were great to wear and they did their job well, when I bought them I was shocked at the price but after I decided they were worth their weight in gold.

But - I think preparation is key - If you prepare for the worst, prepare as if you will be completely incapacitated by this - Then anything better than that is a bonus. The worst thing I dealt with was myself. Fear of the unknown and of what would happen, how much pain I would be in, and whether I would regret my choices. A poster on here said the words to me 'eyes on the prize' and I have carried those words with me ever since, I got my son to repeat them to me every time I started worrying about things.

And now - Years after the beginning of the plastics journey. My only regrets are :- Not allowing him to redo the end of the inner thigh thing (cos that was the only pain and it freaked me out) to tidy up the end, and for myself not keeping the paper tapes on long enough - The first two ops I took them off when the Dr said at 6 weeks. BUT - The next 3 ops I kept them on for 10weeks then 12 weeks - And those scars are much much better, the scars aren't really really stretched or anything. My TT scar is slightly stretched and that annoys me and I wish I had kept the micropore tape (The only tape I would ever use as I noticed lesser tapes are nowhere near as good and for some stupid reason I tested this on myself and my left leg inner thigh scar is nowhere near as good as my right leg inner thigh scar - one had a lesser tape on it and the other had micropore tape on it - Micropore tape leg scar is far far superior to drugstore tape leg scar) on far longer. It seems like forever to say keep your tapes on for 12 weeks, but - when you think about the money you put in - The time you will 'wear' this new body you are creating - 12 weeks of taping is a small price to pay for finer, flatter, thinner scars that heal better.

Good luck to you :) And keep your eyes on that prize - The prize my Dr gave to me is worth more than any money I could have ever given to him as emotionally and psychologically - I am a totally new me!

Edited by Scamp

Thank you all so, SO much! I am committed 100% in mind (and body!) to move forward with the procedures. Ready to be done with the physical discomfort, and the psychological discomfort.

Because of the extent (and anatomy) of my excess skin, the plastic surgeon will need to perform the 'fleur de lis' incision, in addition to the typical circumferential cut around the lower abdomen for my lower body lift. Basically it's because I have a saddle of skin hanging from my middle/upper abdomen area, and another one hanging from my lower abdomen....So it's as if I'm getting a central AND lower body lift!

Not super psyched about the vertical 'torso-length' cut in addition to the circumferential cut...but it's what I need in order to achieve the best results. I'm opting to do that and a Brachioplasty, which I guess will extend up to my armpit and down my sides slightly. Yup, I've got a killer pair of 'bat wings' too. :wacko: I'll just prepare for the worst, and hope for the best!! Thanks again you guys.

P.S. Boobs and thighs will be Part Deux. ;)

I had a fleur de lis

I am VERY happy I had the fleur de lis or I would have looked 'boxy'

Before...

180210Belly02.jpg

Not long after...

120910-01_zps39f3108d.jpg

Edited by Scamp

I had a fleur de lis I am VERY happy I had the fleur de lis or I would have looked 'boxy' Before... Not long after...

Wow! What a difference! You're tummy looks great!!! It gets me excited about my plastics, despite my fear of pain. Thank you for posting those pics and thanks to everyone posting their stories :D

had a fleur de lis

I am VERY happy I had the fleur de lis or I would have looked 'boxy'

Thank you for posting!!! I hadn't heard much about this lesser-known 'fleur de lis' technique, so this is UBER encouraging! Your new shape is incredible, and you look amazing! I'm in. ;)