Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you feel about eating out after weight loss surgery?

Eating out after weight loss surgery  

165 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about eating out after weight loss surgery?

• I won’t go near a restaurant under any circumstances because I can’t or won’t stick to my diet.
    • It depends on the restaurant. I check the menu to see if there is some sort of lean protein that I can order.
    • I don’t like to go, but I will if everyone else goes. I just do my best to pick out the parts I can eat and to eat only a few bites.
    • I will go, but I bring my own food while everyone else orders from the menu.
    • I go and try not to worry about it. As long as I don’t get sick afterward, it can’t be that bad for me.
    • Other (tell us below!).

I eat out when I am up and about. But I am more selective about what I eat and in portion size. I eat out at both dining and fast food restaurants. Before surgery, I would eat 5 crunchy tacos at taco bell. After, it would be one taco. Any more and I could feel a dumping episode in the making. I found a bowl of chili at Wendy's was good. I still eat at Olive Garden. They have a $4 small plate menu, that is just about the right volume. No salad, no breadsticks, just a glass of Water and one item from the small plate menu. At a Chinese Restaurant, a bowl of seafood Soup, is nice. Most times when I go to a dining restaurant and order a full meal. I eat a quarter of the meal and take the rest home. It becomes my lunch for the next 2 or 3 days.

This was one of my biggest fears if I got surgery. Eating out is a huge part of my social life and I was so afraid I'd never be able to do that again. Well, I can eat out fine...I make good choices, we do sharing plates alot and this surgery has not impacted my social life at all....in fact it's much better now because I don't focus on the food, but on my companion(s).

I'm about 4 months post-sleeve (revision from band). For me, it depends on the restaurant. I definitely check the menu online first to see if there is some sort of lean Protein that I can order. I try to pick 2 things so I'm prepared in case I need a back up plan, LOL :).

I stay away from breads, rices & pastas as main dishes, and focus on good Proteins. My eating habits are quite different even now with the sleeve than what it was like with the band. But, I will allow myself a bite / nibble of something (yummy dessert) here & there as a treat.

I have to eat out a lot for work and I plan on declining while on liquid through puree phase and making healthy choices when I am able to eat soft foods.

I am 2 1/2 weeks post op and am not current "able" to eat out and nor am I missing it. I'm a band to sleeve revision so I'm pretty comfortable eating out. I've been eating low carb, high Protein for awhile so it doesn't elicit attention during business lunches or dinner. Only a my husband, mom, kids and aunt knew about my band and the same remains true for this surgery. Occasionally, it is uncomfortable at on site corporate work celebrations, where you don't know what the menu will be and it's usually quite decadent. This is hard not because of my will but because the pressure! I don't give in but it's just tiring. (We have ALOT of corporate "celebrations) lol

We should ask this same question about Fast food restaurants because I have a whole other opinion about entirely! ^_^

I am very social by nature so I enjoy being out with family or friends. However, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't different now. It is very different. I read the menu and try to make the healthiest, high Protein choice I can. I don't even mind paying extra for healthier dishes since I get anywhere from 3-4 meals average out of one restaurant dinner. I give my rolls to whoever wants them. I find that true family & friends respect and support you and will try to help you make wise decisions. I've only been to a buffet once since my surgery. Perhaps that was the toughest! I put a small portion of roast, baked chicken, baked fish, steak & collard greens on my plate. I ate one bite of each item, chewed it slowly and spent the rest of dinner, talking and shoving my food around on my plate. LOL I survived and we all shared some laughs. I think enjoying and dwelling on your company is the key for me! :)

Edited by StephanieRR

I also voted "Other". I luv to go out to eat. About 3-5x a week. Breakfast food is my fav. Luv eggs benedict - I can eat about 1/3 of 1.

When my hubby is on track with his eating program (does Atkins), I always have about 2/3 of my food to bring home. When he's NOT on his program, he eats whatever I have left. Lately, I have a refrig full of leftovers. ABout once a week, I toss the stuff I've gotten sick of nibbling on.

My fav: Red Robin Avo-Cobbo salad. Luv salads. Acctually, I eat everything, just in small amts. Don't understand the point of eating a burger without a bun. Don't see the point...I take a few bites and I'm full.

I am 2 1/2 weeks post op and am not current "able" to eat out and nor am I missing it. I'm a band to sleeve revision so I'm pretty comfortable eating out. I've been eating low carb, high Protein for awhile so it doesn't elicit attention during business lunches or dinner. Only a my husband, mom, kids and aunt knew about my band and the same remains true for this surgery. Occasionally, it is uncomfortable at on site corporate work celebrations, where you don't know what the menu will be and it's usually quite decadent. This is hard not because of my will but because the pressure! I don't give in but it's just tiring. (We have ALOT of corporate "celebrations) lol

At 2 weeks, I was eating at Red Robin. I was on a full liquid diet and they kindly blended clam chowder for me in the blender. It sure was ugly but yummy. That was my first out to eat experience. Luv me somn RR!

I still go out to eat...try to skip the buffets but there is a wonderful little chinese place by my house...we still go there but I get a one trip go box and eat on it for DAYS...lol In regular restaurants, I usually get something small or eat off one of my kids plates..food really doesn't matter that much anymore. I still enjoy the social aspect and can do that with a few bites and Water to drink! lol

At 4.5 months out I don't eat out often. Before surgery , we ate out 4-5 times a week which was one of my big problems.

I've gone to a sushi place several times and gotten sashimi and seaweed salad, but otherwise I really don't trust my old places as I know they're loading up everything with butter and oil.

I think my wife misses going out, but she's lost weight by following my new lifestyle. I really don't miss it.

Here's a link to my' first restaurant experience', post-VSG: http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/295128-1st-restaurant-experience/

Since then (and as recently as last night), I have no problem with dining out. Two events this week. On Tuesday, I was AMAZED at the volume of food on the plate [that I normally would have eaten]; and I will say it was the very first time ever that I left steak/filet mignon on the plate!!!!!!!! Damn. I hated to do that, but I couldn't take it with me. I've never done that before. I was the only one who didn't clean their plate.

Now, I mostly just order an appetizer. I do find it hard to not order an entree; but if I do, I know most if is coming home with me for Breakfast the next day.

[Alex B...I'm still having issues with my iPad and BP. I don't even see the Full View thing. That's why I haven't been onsite much. Weird. Totally different layout, minus the usual access to pages, views, links, etc.]

I picked other because I just haven't had the desire to visit a restaurant at all. If and when I do, I don't feel I would have any issues as I have been eating anything I want. I just expect I'll take most of my food home in a doggie bag.

I recently got invited to brunch with a friend and one of my sisters, none of which know about my surgery yet.... I almost felt forced to go (really it was guilty for not going) HOWEVER, I found the courage and said I would like out "outings" to be focused on something OTHER than food. So, they will go to brunch, and I will meet up with them afterwards for pedis & manis. Before my last fill I was fairly confident going out to restaurants, but after my las fill (3weeks ago) I rather just eat home... I'm gonna keep my current fill level for a few more weeks and then take a tinch out so I can be more comfortable eating out.

At first I was so scared! Then I just did it…and it was a success.

We don't eat out all that often so when we do eat out…I ENJOY IT.

I choose things I like and things I don't normally eat at home.

I eat till satisfied and let my band and plication tell me the rest!

I always pack up the rest of my meal and my hubby enjoys the leftovers…me too at times!

I also picked "other" not a positive enough response for me to eating out!