Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared..Surgery in less than two weeks

I am a newbie to this site, and I have to say it has helped a lot with my emotions. But now I feel the need to share. I am scheduled for surgery on 5/6/14 at Noon. I am on day three of the pre-op diet and it is going OK. Getting food headaches today, but I know they will pass. I am having a constant struggle with my nerves and I keep going back and forth trying to decide if I am doing the right thing. I worry I will miss food too much post surgery and will fall into a deep depression. I enjoy food, obviously, that is how I got this way, and I worry once I can't have a lot of food anymore, that I will find myself not being able to enjoy food. When I go to Altantic City, I enjoy going to the buffets. On vacations I enjoy good food. I worry with the sleeve I won't be able to enjoy that kind of stuff anymore. I know they are small silly worries, but they make me change my mind on almost a daily basis. I think ,should I have the band, since it is reversable? Having 85% of my stomach removed seems so drastic. I made this decision on my own, but I keep doubting myself.

Can anyone help give me some peace?

Kelly in NJ

I am having my surgery the same day as you. I am on day 2 of my pre-op diet. I did the same thing. I went back and forth during the past six months. I'm glad I had that wait period. I thought maybe I can do it myself. I thought this is such a drastic step. And it is. But I have realized that this is the only way I can permanently lose weight and get healthy. I have realized that I don't want food to control my life anymore. Had I had this surgery without that six month period, I probably would have made a mistake. I had some time to change the way I think about food and I really believe this is it. I think it is normal that you are feeling this way. Keep reading up and watch some you tube videos. If you watch Leah's VSG Journey, she has covered all these emotions and feelings that we have had. I found it to be very helpful and I think you may also. Best of luck to you. You will be fine and you can do this. Think of how much happier you will be later on.

Thanks ad1203 and best of luck with your surgery. Nice to know someone who is haivng it the same day as I. We can be scared together! I know we can do this, and having each other's support makes it a tiny bit easier.

I am having sleeve surgery May 6th as well. I had the lap band first and had it removed in Dec. due to a slip. When I first had my band the hardest part after surgery was grieving food. food was my best friend and I thought it was gone forever. I eventually realized that it was not gone it just wasn't my whole life. My advice would be to Keep busy! Find a support group. Exercise. It all helps. This time I know I need just as much help for my head as I do with my body in order to be successful. I'm excited to start my new life!! I wish you all the best! You can totally do this!

Hello NJKelly,

I think most of us who have had this procedure have had an unhealthy relationship with food. I know I also didn't want food controlling my life anymore. I wanted to have a life and be able to get out and do things that my excess weight kept me from doing. To do that I had to decide that food was not as important to me as being healthy.

There was a mourning period after the surgery but I think that is because I used food to make me happy when nothing else could. So I had to find healthier ways to cope with difficulties. I also found that just because you have a sleeve doesn't mean you won't be able to eat some of the things that you love the most ever again. Instead, the sleeve helps you to regulate your portions and enjoy a small amount of these things instead of a full plateful like I may have in the past.

Above all I learned that staying positive and seeing this procedure as the best decision for you and your health will always trump the disappointment of missing food on those rare occasions when you do. Because most of the time, you're not even hungry enough to care about what foods you aren't able to eat right now.

As for your nerves, see yourself past the surgery. See yourself enjoying something else on your vacations, something that you would have never tried before because of your weight.

You've got this!

-MissME

I am having surgery same day....makes me feel a lil better to know I will not be alone :)

My Sleeve Day is the day after y'all and I am really nervous but more excited than anything. I have been on my post op diet for 3 days. I hope this prepares us for life with the sleeve. I am just ready to get on with everthing, although my journey has been a fast one. I just realized today that 1 month ago I had my 1st consulatation and now in 2 weeks I'll have my dream. My insurance will only pay 25% after I spend 1 year on their supervised diet. Forget that, I have a hernia...getting it paid for and this little something on the side. I figure I spend $300 on food a month now, $135 of that can cover the financing of my part of the sleeve.

HI everyone! I had my sleeve surgery on Feb 13 2014. and I just wanted to tell all of you that have surgeries coming up that you're taking a big step and it will be so worth it! I myself know what you mean about missing food but remember you will still be able to eat just in much smaller portions and for some reason when you get full you don't even want to keep eating. If you are in a state of mind of being grateful for your surgery that will help. I just wanted to wish you luck and congratulate you on taking control of your life! God bless you,

Hi Kelly and welcome,

I've been feeling the exact same way but, for years. My niece had her sleeve done 3 years ago and I've gone back and forth on doing it since then. In that time frame I have also put on even more weight. I'm not unhappy or depressed so to speak, I just have had a love for food. After getting on the scale at nearly 300 lbs, I KNEW it was either food or me. And, I chose ME! Getting mine done on 5/24, leaving my doubts on the table with my stomach and looking to it as a whole new beginning. Best of luck to you and everyone else on your surgeries.

I'm new to the site as well. I'm scheduled for the sleeve surgery on May 13th, 2014 and I'm a nervous wreck, but excited at the same time! I haven't told many people because I've gone through the process before, and after I was approved for the surgery by my surgeon, I discovered that my insurance wouldn't cover it. However, now, I'm back on track and I've only told those who have been supportive. Many of my friends aren't happy that I'm having surgery and it's upsetting because I just need everyone to be supportive about it because I'm excited. I've struggled my entire life with my weight and health and this is finally something that would make me happier and most importantly, healthier. I'm also concerned about how I'll be treated by people once the weight starts to come off rapidly. I spoke with someone who said some of her friends became very distant... I'm hoping that doesn't happen to me.

If so called friends (and, I use the term loosely) distance themselves for you doing something to better YOU, then they were not true friends to begin with IMO. Besides that, you now have many new friends here that truly support you and your decision. Welcome! :)

I am having the surgery on May 6th as well! I'm having all of the same feelings as you, especially those about missing food... I am definitely trying to come up with alternatives to do when I'm bored and/or lonely. Walking, reading a book, and coming on here to vent all come to mind.

I'm on day 2 of my pre-op diet, although I started going low carb on Saturday, just to make it a little easier. My surgeon wants his patients on all liquids for 2 weeks! I have to admit, I ate some peanuts yesterday, and a hard boiled egg today... it's so hard to not have anything to chew! I'm going to get some sugar-free popsicles and Jello tomorrow, maybe that will help with the feeling of having something to eat!

Looks like there are a bunch of having the sleeve done on the same day. Good luck to us all, and thanks everyone for the good advice. I already feel like we are all family. Lets all keep in touch and updated on our progress good and bad! I think it would be awesome!

I hope you don't mind, I added you all as friends. Maybe we can all go through this together and support each other. Good luck to us all!