Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 2 weeks post surgery and have lost about 10 pounds. I just had my first post surgical visit and it went well. I was quite honest that I have not been sticking to the limited puree diet - but frankly have had no difficulty with rice, meat, potatoes, corn, and last - night - a full chinese dinner. I have also had no problem eating 1/2 a roast pork sandwich. The secret is chew chew chew and lots of space between bites. The only thing that has given me pause this week is an orange for just a mini-second. I think I am going to love this tool!

I was told that there will be no fill for 2 weeks. (My surgeon puts 3-4 mg in upon insertion).

The best news was that after my visit I knew I had to go grocery shopping. I had no eaten today and it was lunch time so on my way to the store I stopped at harveys and got a junior burger with tomatoes. I immediately took off the top bun and ate the burger slowly. That was 2 hours ago and I am still feeling absolutely no hunger or no desire to eat!

Thought I would post this as a good news story for those afraid or those newly banded.

So far - so good. It was well worth the first few days of discomfort and fear.

enuf, I'm glad you're loving your new tool and congrats on your lose, thats awesome!!

Can I ask you a question? What did your doctor say when you told him you weren't sticking with the post-op diet phases? Please don't take this the wrong way but there's a very important reason why they have you on that post-op diet so I'm just curious what his response was.

My surgeon told me absolutely no veering from the plan they provided me. He told me the reason is because you're still very swelled and your body is still healing from major surgery and even though you're able to eat these things with no pain, stucks, etc. doesn't meant it's ok to do so. If you were to get stuck or if you were to PB or anything at this point you could cause your band to slip or various other things and even if you didn't have one of these episodes you can have side effects you may not be aware of until later. You're just doing such a great job I just don't want you to experience any set backs.

Best of luck to you!!

Edited by enjoythetime

I have the same question as enjoythetime?

But, don't take this personally, what you did is not recommended by any means. Some of us have very little swelling right after surgery. This means the stoma/band is wide open and the swelling in the stoma area doesn't interfere with food passing to the lower stomach. I too was one who had no swelling. But, we enter Bandster Hell so much sooner and some can't handle the hunger and break the rules.

Most patients experience a lot of swelling and eating solid food so soon after surgery could compromise the integrity of the sutures and the position of the band. This could result in a quick return to the ER or hospital for a band revision.

So, if you're a newbie, do not disregard the no solids rules till the Doctor clears you. You may not be as lucky as Enuf?

Thanks for the feedback and the cautions. I did not see the surgeon; it is the surgical nurse that sees the patients. She took the stitch out. She asked how much I was eating. I told her exactly (probably 1/3 c rice) and about 4-6 oz of meat. She did not seem at all concerned but stressed the importance of eating very slowly. She seemed a bit surprised that bread gave me no problem. She did not offer me any warnings or say I should do anything other than continue to eat very slowly and lesser portions.

I have thought about what you have both said and think it makes a lot of sense. I am not concerned with weight loss until the band is filled but I haven't done all this - just to mess it up so I think tomorrow I will make a large soft stew and eat that for the week. Thanks for the tip.

The only thing or discomfort I have is on my lower right side- just below my hip bone. I am completely healthy but am concerned that it is my appendix. It is a dull ache always at the same place. When I walk it gets more intense - but still localized. She said if it were my appendix and given it has lasted a few days I would have been in emergency - so she hypothesized it was just gas.

I am going to post to see if anyone has experienced this and whether it is correlated with the surgery.