Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shopping for a new body is really hard

I've been off of work for two weeks for my gallbladder surgery and am returning to work on Wednesday. I thought I would go out today and buy some new clothes for spring and well, because I just don't have a lot that fits right now. So, I head to the local Avenue and Lane Bryant and try on some cute summer dresses and such. I ended up asking the sales lady (who was maybe a size 2~ why she is working at the big lady store, I have no clue) to give me an honest opinion on the two dresses I picked out. She looked at me like I was out of my mind but said I looked nice. I wasn't super convinced so I asked a fellow shopper who also said it looked a little big.... I had tried on a 18/20 dress thinking my "girls" are huge so a smaller size wasn't going to fit. Well, the smaller size did fit. So I bought them.

I also realized, I am at the SMALL end of the big girl stores..... I still can't wrap my head around that. How do we come to terms with our new bodies when our minds have not caught up to the physical transformation? It wasn't too long ago I was buying shirts in 30/32 to try to hide my size~ I don't know what I was thinking, except I felt more comfortable in them and well, some of the shirts really did need to be that size.

Today was a good day.... and hopefully the last time buying clothes before I can buy them at a "regular" store.

Soon you'll have skinty girl problems. So normal sized that your size is the first out of stock. Enjoy the ride!!

I am in that place too, of being in the smallest plus sizes but not quite fitting into misses' sizes. WHY is there such a huge difference between a 16W and a 16? I am so patiently waiting to get out of the big girl stores, I feel like it will never happen!

Workout clothes seem to be my new obsession. Since I do exercise, this makes sense but I didn't think I would like work out clothes so much. Interesting how working out is much easier in slimmer fitting clothes made of moisture wicking fabric and not baggy sweats and men's 4X tees like I was wearing. I am ALMOST in an XL normal sizes. Kohls (by the way) has great plus size work out wear online.

There are a few stores that carry size 18, Old Navy being one, that i like to shop in so I can get out of Lane Bryant for a change :)

I know, crazy right? When I went jean buying, the sale was on skinny jeans... I looked at those things and said "no way" but it was the largest size they had on the sale rack...and they were BIG! YIKES!!! What?!?! It's funny how our brain can't wrap itself around our bodies...I don't know when/if that will happen for me...

that being said, now that I can stand for periods of a time (I have RA so I was almost bed ridden before the surgery it was so bad)... I search at Goodwill...AMAZING finds for about $4 each!!! and PLEASE let it be the color of the week so it's half off!!! LOL... I got 3 dresses that I needed for a cruise we were on and found them there all for under $10!!! They are lovely...but I don't wear dresses as a rule, so there was NO WAY, I was going to spend a lot...but I got a lot from there...go exploring and see what treasure you find!

Good luck! Enjoy!

I'm headed there. No more plus sized only stores for me. I also realized that plus sized clothes are $$$$$ Old Navy plus sized thsirts are more than 2x the price of regular sized ones. I realized that I can wear the biggest regular sized and that I don't need the plus sized stuff as much as I once did. I have options, whereas before, I had none whatsoever. It's really interesting to me that I can tell that I've lost weight in my clothes, but I have a hard time seeing it. When you've been fat for most of your life, it's hard to see yourself another way.

I so agree! I can tell I have lost weight only when I put clothes on but not by looking at myself! I am only 2 wks post op. But in august I was 296 and surgery day I was 238 and today I was 219. I know there has to be a difference but just amazing me that I know I have a ways to go but still have the "I'm huge" mentality!

I'm so glad for this thread..... Was sleeved 11/20/13 started at 310 today I'm 232 and I can't tell........ Others around me can and they all know I had the surgery....... I haven't went clothes shopping yet since it's been freezing so baggy shirts and sweat pants works.... I'm a little nervous to go to the store...........