Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So why do people ask if you meant to lose weight?

Lots of people have commented on my weight loss, however, invariably they follow up with "did you mean to lose weight?"

Why is that? Does it happen to you?

Does anyone lose that kind of weight accidentally?

Is our society so difficult to lose weight in that people automatically assume you are ill if you lose a lot of weight?

Maybe I look awful as a thin person and I look sick?

What is your experience?

I've only had this question on medical forms - like "any unexplained weight gain/loss?" Just in case I'm depressed or something, I guess...

But if an actual person said "did you mean to lose weight" to me, I don't know that I'd be able to hold back on the choice language. I imagine the mildest thing I'd manage would be something awfully sarcastic.... "no, actually - funny story - I was walking along in Short Pump and tripped and fell on a surgeon... Next thing I know, I have 1/4 of my stomach left and I weigh 75 pounds less!!! And $15,000 is missing!! Do you think I should sue?"

But what would probably come out of my mouth would be more along the lines of "JESUS ******* CHRIST WHAT THE ******* DO YOU THINK?!"

I'm just a b*tch like that tho. Especially if I get stressed. Such low patience for inane questions....

Lots of people have commented on my weight loss, however, invariably they follow up with "did you mean to lose weight?" Why is that? Does it happen to you? Does anyone lose that kind of weight accidentally? Is our society so difficult to lose weight in that people automatically assume you are ill if you lose a lot of weight? Maybe I look awful as a thin person and I look sick? What is your experience?

. Either the comments come from a socially awkward person or a jealous one. The comment should be you look fantastic- and I bet you do!!!!!

I would say..Me lose weight..nah! I look like I always did...You however are looking a little unsettling! lol

Oh RJ your too much!!LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I think people may be nervous about saying the wrong thing. They don't want to say wow you look great and then find out you lost weight because you have cancer (or some other illness).

Lots of people have commented on my weight loss, however, invariably they follow up with "did you mean to lose weight?"

They ask because they're making sure you're not sick, like with cancer/chemo or something. The first time my husband did Weight Watchers with me, we both did very well. After about 30 lbs, he got some compliments, but also his boss said, "You're trying to lose weight, right?" I would just take it as a compliment, especially since most weight loss attempts (at least with standard dieting) tick off incrementally and aren't even noticed.

I agree people mean well, I just find it odd it happens so frequently.

Why is that? Does it happen to you?

Does anyone lose that kind of weight accidentally?

Is our society so difficult to lose weight in that people automatically assume you are ill if you lose a lot of weight?

Maybe I look awful as a thin person and I look sick?

What is your experience?

I haven't encountered that because I announced my surgery on Facebook for all my family and friends. I figured it would be hard to hide eventually.. coming clean about a week before surgery worked out well for me. I had a lot of positive responses. By all of them knowing it also helps with going to gatherings/resteraunts and I don't have to explain/justify why I eat like a bird now.