Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What I have lost and what I have gained

I had surgery on Feb 26, 2014. As of yesterday "Weigh Day" I have lost 43 lbs and over 23 inches. I have also lost diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I have lost my walking cane that I have had to use for over a year because of knee and back pain. I have lost the size clothing I was wearing when I had surgery and the size smaller fits loosely.

I have GAINED the ability to use my exercise bicycle, being able to cross my legs again, wear my wedding ring again, better health and fitness, more confidence and self worth, the ability to go for short walks with my husband and dog Pearl...and so much more.....

Life is good........

Congrats on your losses and your gains! I can't wait to start my own ....got my approval letter from insurance today. Looking forward to playing w/my grandchildren again. Enjoy your new life!

so happy for you! I think that it is so often misunderstood that these surgeries are mostly to get our lives back, and regain our health, and not typically anything to do with vanity.

sure, the fact that we look great is a huge added bonus, but I look forward to playing with my son, and teaching my 11 yr old daughter how to become a runner!

i'm still pre-op but pretty close to getting everything submitted to insurance and I am so much looking forward to saying that I am medication free, breathing normally again, have some actual energy and can be totally involved with my kids!

Love your post and find myself thinking about my own loses and gains. My surgery was the 19th of March and I've also lost diabetes and high cholesterol in additional to 27 lbs. Hoping to loose the high blood pressure soon. I can now wear my original pants, but the muffin top is gone. I'm eating food that requires chewing and has taste, good taste. Life is good.......

Great post. There are a lot of positives and small victories that really add to the quality of our lives. Wishing you continued success.

Wow, people you are an inspiration -- Im still pre op, Im paying privately, its going to max out two credit cards to pay for it - figuring I wont care if Im broke as long as Im not fat :)

I had surgery on Feb 26, 2014. As of yesterday "Weigh Day" I have lost 43 lbs and over 23 inches. I have also lost diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I have lost my walking cane that I have had to use for over a year because of knee and back pain. I have lost the size clothing I was wearing when I had surgery and the size smaller fits loosely.

I have GAINED the ability to use my exercise bicycle, being able to cross my legs again, wear my wedding ring again, better health and fitness, more confidence and self worth, the ability to go for short walks with my husband and dog Pearl...and so much more.....

Life is good........

Absolutely wonderful and congratulations on your new life. I love to hear these success stories, it keeps me going. I am now where you used to be. I have all those diagnosis including my cane. Two years ago when i got married, i felt wonderful. Feel sorry for my husband, he got the short end of the stick. ;) I am a great wife but lately, im slacking... Lol

Wow good for you!!! You have done amazing! My surgery is Thursday & I can't wait to start losing! I know it is going to be a struggle but I welcome it with open arms. I can't wait to give up my cane & ease the pressure on my back & knees. I love this site it is so nice to hear everyone's journey. Thanks for sharing!

My surgery is 6th May -I keep getting scared - not of the surgery itself but the thought I may never be able to enjoy food again or I will feel nauseus and sick every time I eat - but these posts do fill me with hope and renewed strength - you are amazing xx

Hey Bridget, don't worry you will be able to eat and enjoy food again just with a new perspective. I have found that everyone is different especially on this board. I had RNY Dec 9th, I am down 70 pounds. For me, my surgeon was so good that I thought they hadn't done anything. No pain or nausea. It could have been outpatient for me. In fact, I kept calling the doctor's office to make sure he operated on me. I don't throw up, get the foamies, diarrhea,or Constipation. In 5 months, only once have I eaten too much and that extra bite made me feel what people here discuss feeling. That said, I have and can eat. One really bad week, I ate 6 pieces if pizza with no problem. It basically boils down to this surgery is a tool. I have learned to portion my food, eat at certain times and relieve stress by walking instead of food. Also the worst of it for me is that I can eat fried fatty foods and sugar with no problems. These are not good things to be able to do but I have been told by the surgeon that most people can tolerate it and it's up to us to change our behavior. So for me it is still a daily struggle but I have learned how to win most of the battles. Good luck to you and your surgery, hopefully you too will find the path you need to follow.

Hi thanks for that reply it dies seem like everyone is different - the one thing I need is to not feel hungry I eat sweet things sugar biscuits cakes mmm icebreaker and I like pizza too - but I am paying for this myself and maxing my credit card it's not cheap it's costing 12000 pounds - about 18000 dollars! So I'm praying I will definitely lose the urge to binge on bad stuff !!

Good Luck to everyone with upcoming surgeries. The waiting for it is the worst part but after the surgery a new life marches on. I have two bits of advice. First follow your doctors plan unless he is a quack and says stuff like, " Eat lots of raw pork and smoke 3 packs of cigarettes a day." Second, this is your individual journey. I can tell you I would get upset reading posts of people saying stuff like, "oh, I am 2 months out and I have only lost 69 pounds." They'd act like this wasn't good enough and here I am struggling to drop 30. It was like a knife in the heart. So I made a decision and stayed away from the boards until I got confident in my own journey. I am all for people losing 69 pounds in 2 months but I wish they would state it positive like, 'I can't believe I have lost 69 pounds!" I be , "You GO Girl!!!" So if read the post from people after don't let it chip away at you because its your Odyssey not anyone else. Stay away from those posts and keep positive in every ounce that you shed. Once again I will be thinking of you on May 6 and 7th.

Good Luck to everyone with upcoming surgeries. The waiting for it is the worst part but after the surgery a new life marches on. I have two bits of advice. First follow your doctors plan unless he is a quack and says stuff like, " Eat lots of raw pork and smoke 3 packs of cigarettes a day." Second, this is your individual journey. I can tell you I would get upset reading posts of people saying stuff like, "oh, I am 2 months out and I have only lost 69 pounds." They'd act like this wasn't good enough and here I am struggling to drop 30. It was like a knife in the heart. So I made a decision and stayed away from the boards until I got confident in my own journey. I am all for people losing 69 pounds in 2 months but I wish they would state it positive like, 'I can't believe I have lost 69 pounds!" I be , "You GO Girl!!!" So if read the post from people after don't let it chip away at you because its your Odyssey not anyone else. Stay away from those posts and keep positive in every ounce that you shed. Once again I will be thinking of you on May 6 and 7th.

Thank you!! Means do much:)

Monola you are exactly right a positive state of mind is an important attribute and yes I've read some posts which are downbeat and they've lost 40 pounds in 2 weeks I think WOW! Thanks for being there ;-)