Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 1 of three-week pre-op diet. Morning report: soft-boiled egg went down just fine. coffee tastes good. I need to take my measurements today.

Hope you all are feeling fine!

Thanks for the reminder about measurements! We will definitely need these when the scales stalls :) I'm scheduled for May 26th and slowing cutting back on carbs and coffee now. I have a 1 week pre-op low carb diet but I thought I would ease into it slowly.

Hello future sleevers! I finally got my date today - May 13th! I just have to have an upper GI in the next couple weeks which I'm dreading, but it will be worth it! All those prior to May 13th, keep me posted on your progress and let me know how you all are doing! Best of luck!!

Hello future sleevers! I finally got my date today - May 13th! I just have to have an upper GI in the next couple weeks which I'm dreading, but it will be worth it! All those prior to May 13th, keep me posted on your progress and let me know how you all are doing! Best of luck!!

I'm May 13th too! I've already had my upper gi. All I have left is my pre-op appt. and meet with my surgeon again, and then my nurse-teach class. Do you have to do a 2 week pre op diet?

Hi, Girls! I'm so glad to have found this site. Happy birthday to all you May birthdays - what a terrific birthday gift you're giving yourselves. I'm having my surgery on May 12. Finished most of the pre-surgery visits (stress test, gallbladder ultrasound, nutrition, etc.). Just have the pre-op visit with the hospital and one more visit with the dr for physical. I haven't started the liquid diet yet - my doctor just requires one week of liquid pre-surgery. Can anyone recommend a Protein drink that's good? Most of the ones I have had in the past are pretty horrible, so I'm nervous about having to incorporate them for the rest of my life and would value your input.

I'm so excited to begin the journey toward a healthy weight and having more energy. Best of luck to all of you.

Hi, Girls! I'm so glad to have found this site. Happy birthday to all you May birthdays - what a terrific birthday gift you're giving yourselves. I'm having my surgery on May 12. Finished most of the pre-surgery visits (stress test, gallbladder ultrasound, nutrition, etc.). Just have the pre-op visit with the hospital and one more visit with the dr for physical. I haven't started the liquid diet yet - my doctor just requires one week of liquid pre-surgery. Can anyone recommend a Protein Drink that's good? Most of the ones I have had in the past are pretty horrible, so I'm nervous about having to incorporate them for the rest of my life and would value your input. I'm so excited to begin the journey toward a healthy weight and having more energy. Best of luck to all of you.

Welcome! We are lucky to have this site, soon much needed info and support on here, enjoy :)

One of my coworkers has gastric bypass in December and I noticed when people tell her she looks great and ask what she's doing, she simply answers "I'm losing weight!" Not sure how she responds to people who ask how. I plan to say "I'm eating less" LOL

Hi May 2014 Sleevers!

I love to see you here. My surgery was May 17, 2011, so I always fill a kindred spirit with the May sleevers!

It's been almost three years, but I still remember the last month before surgery. After I got my date I was so nervous! I used that nervous energy to clean house, pay bills in advance, stock up on non-perishables, get down my too small clothes and go through them, take care of appts. like getting my nails done, hair colored, dental appts, taking the dog to the vet for shots, and buying stuff for post op. And I stocked up on books and movies for when I was recovering. I bought myself a cute robe, a couple of nighties, a food scale, small spoons and forks, and tiny bowls. I also practiced chewing a lot, sipping slowly, and I gave up coffee.

I had a pre-op plan that I followed pretty closely, but I did have one splurge day with cocktails and food because I knew my program didn't allow cocktails for at least six months.

Surgery was pretty uneventful and I came home the following day, but I did have a undiagnosed hernia, which was repaired during surgery.

After surgery, I was really tired and sore. More than many others; everyone's recovery is different. I took the liquid loritab for the first 10 days or so, lowering the dose to once per day by around day 8 and then tapering off to tylenol. I wore stretchy pants for the first month. When I first came home from the hospital, I weighed about 16 lbs. more because of the IV fluids, but it all came off in the first week.

I also found out I was lactose intolerant. Not everyone gets that, but it's pretty common early out.

I hit goal weight on March 25, 2012, about nine months post-op. I've been maintaining goal within 5 lbs. since then.
My blood pressure dropped enough that I was offf all meds for a few months, but it slowly crept back up and I now take medicine again, although not as much as before. I also no longer take cholesterol medication.
My hair did thin beginning in month 4, but by about 18 months out, it was thick all the way to end again.
I was cleared for coffee at three months, and the occasional drink at 6 months.
For me, WLS surgery has been a life changer. I love life at goal.
I wish the best for each of you!
Lynda

Lynda, thanks so much for posting here and sharing your story. It helps me so much to read that others have gone through this process, and not only come out the other side healthier and happier, but are able to maintain the weight level they've chosen. Here's hoping that I am equal to the challenges in front of me, too!

I too am struggling with the food funeral... I am trying to be consistent but saying I wont eat like this when I have the surgery.

I would say im starting tomorrow over that is the old me

The new me is starting today eating a healthy dinner

Onward and upward

Hello all, I'm a noob to the forum and glad I found it. I just got approval and I'm scheduled May 12. Excited and a little overwhelmed. Reading the pre and post op forums now and it's helping me understand and set expectations. Best of luck to all.

Well, they upped my surgery date to April 28th! I start my pre op diet on Monday. :/ I'm still going to hang out here though if that's ok ;). I meet with my surgeon Monday.......does anyone have ideas of good questions to ask him?

Jess Pearl, here was my list of pre-op appointment questions:

• Do you run a suture over the staples on the stomach seam?
  • When do you test for leaks? During or after surgery?
  • How many of your patients have had gallbladder problems? How many had gallbladder removed? What do you do prevent this?
  • What is your record concerning complications for the sleeve surgeries you’ve done?
  • Can I use a straw to drink post-surgery?
  • How much time should I take off work?
  • How long will I be in the hospital?
  • Will I need to take an antacid like Prilosec?

You probably have different ones, too, or may already know the answers to some of mine, this was what I had come up with by the time my pre-surgery appointment happened. Hope this helps!

One month until my surgery! I'm so ready to be on the other side of this.

Hello fellow May sleevers! I'm scheduled for my pre op appointment on 4/21 and after my tests I will meet with my surgeon. I am to be sleeved May 6th and as the day approaches I find I'm getting a bit nervous. I will be starting my 2 week liquid diet on 4/22 which will consist of liquids and 2 lean cuisine meals a day. I've been eating much healthier in the last 4 or 5 weeks. I've gone from a (2) 2 liters per day to one 8 oz pop per day. Went from being a meat, potatoes and extra cheese kinds girl to salads and lean meats.

Since I'm no longer on caffeine or sugar I feel my pace slowing down. I'm worried that my energy level (what's left if it) is going to tank during this liquid diet. Any one else feel this way?