Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

single, traveling and other adventures

I would like to do a bunch of travel this next year but am not in a kind of relationship that includes that sort of activity right now. I traveled solo to Mexico to visit a friend that lived down there and that was great but I want to travel all sorts of places... I am curious how others have found a community of singles to do stuff with. i am a member of some meetups, but the travel ones don't seem to do anything really. Ideas?

I was in the same boat. So I joined a travel club. IT'S AMAZING. It's fun and exciting. I would love to share more about it with you. If you are interested you can email at lifestyleconcierge76@gmail.com

I would like to do a bunch of travel this next year but am not in a kind of relationship that includes that sort of activity right now. I traveled solo to Mexico to visit a friend that lived down there and that was great but I want to travel all sorts of places... I am curious how others have found a community of singles to do stuff with. i am a member of some meetups, but the travel ones don't seem to do anything really. Ideas?

I sent you an email but no reply yet ...

I have a friend that has travelled with Gutsy Women Travel. She has been widowed for years and I know she has been to Italy on one trip and earlier this year she went to Costa Rica. She said one of the reasons she enjoys the trips so much is because of the wide range of ages among the other women travelers. Google the group name and the website will pop right up.

I am going to see her tomorrow (we are part of a quilt class/group that meet each week) and I will ask if she has any other advice for you.

Good Luck!

Travel club sounds awesome! Try a cruise, a single friend and I did one and there's tons of people to make friends with.

My brother is 49 and single, and he goes on these biking trips for singles and really loves them. Theses are tours that book groups and specify singles only for certain trips. Last year he took one starting in San Francisco and biked through wine country. Next month he is doing one in the Canadian Rockies. Let me know if you would like more information, and I will get it for you.

I am wondering if you just want to travel as a tourist, or become more part of the country you are visiting? And how much time do you have? And are you interested in a specific type of 'activity or skill development"?

I had a lot of friends that committed to me to come travel, but all backed out one by one.. sigh... so I went on my own and had the TIME OF MY LIFE. I had a one way ticket, one night in a hotel in London and off I went, scaring my poor mom to death. Things worked out and I ended up living for some 7 years in London, almost getting married two times, working first as a chambermaid in an old old brownstone bed & brekkie, as a temp for Shell UK for a couple of years, a group of solicitors (for about a year) and a big bank. I also studied archaeology for some 3 years with a degree in Field Archaeology and worked finding Roman artifacts near London Bridge in east london. I used to ride a little fold up bike home, and would stop off along the Thames at low tide, and jump over the wall and search for artifacts along the muds. I cannot tell you what a difference it made to become part of the working London, and i ended up learning and knowing so much about life in London, historically and socially. If you can, find something you LOVE and do a kind of, maybe, working type holiday. the LONGER you can stay somewhere, the better.

Are you interested in learning a language? Look up month long language schools where you live in a household and study half day. Theatre? Go volunteer at a historic theatre and have some fun, also there's 1/2 tickets for you just about anytime. i saw SOOO much theatre while i was there. Cooking? go to a cooking school in France. Painting? You can find something in most countries to sign up for painting. Archaeology? Look up digs where you can learn. I don't think I could ever just go to another country again for shorter than 2 - 3 months. The longer the better. BTW I took only about $1,000 with me and came home with about $3000. Things may have gotten stricter with the EU parameters, but who knows til you look it up.

I never regretted travelling alone, I think I made many more friends that way. You are easier to approach if you are single and I never felt unsafe (well, maybe in Greece a little). If any of you decide to do this, pm me and I will give you some tips.

When I lose my weight, and my knees feel better, I personally would love to study Italian in italy, and maybe Italian cooking. danger danger... lol.

in support,

triss