Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breakfast ideas?

Breakfast is the worst part of my day. Anything I have tried to eat is a no go. I’ve done eggs, yogurts, Cereal and nothing seems to stay down. What else can yall suggest for Breakfast? I need ideas.

I cant stand Protein shakes by the way!!!

What do you mean by "nothing stays down"?

It comes right back up.

I couldn't have anything for breakfast after fill #2 then it went away and I could eat again after 3 weeks on fill #3. When I was in your situation, I didn't even try to have anything but Hot drinks first thing in the morning. food was a definite no-go before 11:00am and at that time I couldn't tolerate scrambled eggs at ANY TIME during the day. I can eat scrambled eggs now but haven't tried boiled eggs in several months. During your stage, I relied on Protein shots mixed in Water to make a fruit punch. I liked cream of wheat a lot and love, love, love Carnation Instant Breakfast (generic brand is fine, too) and Ovaltine. They fill me up, give me the calories I need and about 18g Protein when combined with the milk.

My recommendation is a small unfill of maybe .1-.2 CCs. Your post from 3/26 said you slime a lot? Most lapband failures and complications are a direct result of bands being too tight. If you're hungry at breakfast time and can't find any food that you can consume without PBing, you should go for a small unfill. If you're OK with not eating and the other meals pass OK, then I'd still get a small unfill.

It's far too dangerous to live life with a band so tight you can't live a normal life. I backed off my fills a year ago and I've spent a lot of time developing my satiety signal skills. But that's just me.

tmf

I've heard all kinds of theory about fickle bands, fussy bands, etc. If food is coming back up, things aren't right. Regurgitation is a sign of being too tight and you most likely need an small adjustment.

Breakfast is the wake up call for your metabolism, gets things going and skipping it leads to increased hunger later...call your surgeon for an adjustment. You're in the yellow zone, maybe on the edge of red.

Edited by Bandarella

I have a Protein shake every morning as breakfast. I find my band is a little tight first thing in the morning so it works out perfect. I get my Protein in and it's a quick and easy meal on the fly.

I went to the doctor he did unfill me a little. But mornings are still hard. Maybe I should try and wait to eat a little later in the morning.

Almost every Bandster seems to find breakfast to be the hardest meal of the day to get down. I've never seen a post by anyone with a rational answer as to why this is?

Speaking for myself, it seems like my esophagus doesn't wake up till after 10 am. The esophagus moves food through the esophageal sphincter and ultimately through the stoma by peristalsis. It just seems like the muscles that perform this involuntary contraction are asleep for breakfast? jmo

tmf

You might try egg drop Soup. It's high in Protein and some banders feel like warm liquids loosen up the stoma. Egg drop Soup is basically an egg blended into broth. It's yummy, filling and high in Protein.< /p>

"I cant stand Protein shakes by the way!!!"

Have you tried different types of Protein and liquids? I've fallen DEEPLY in love with Beverly International UMP Cookies and Cream flavor mixed with almond milk. At night if I feel like my sweet tooth is kickin in, i'll blend this with some ice and either drink it, or put it in the freezer until it becomes ice cream-ish.

Almost every Bandster seems to find Breakfast to be the hardest meal of the day to get down. I've never seen a post by anyone with a rational answer as to why this is?

Speaking for myself, it seems like my esophagus doesn't wake up till after 10 am. The esophagus moves food through the esophageal sphincter and ultimately through the stoma by peristalsis. It just seems like the muscles that perform this involuntary contraction are asleep for breakfast? jmo

tmf

The nutritionist at the LapBand support group I attend said that the band is legitimately tighter in the morning, we aren't just imagining it LOL. She said it was due to the way our stomachs sit with the band while we are sleeping at night. The added pressure of laying down causes a slight irritation and things swell a little. Not enough that it is a huge issue, but enough that it makes the band tighter when we first wake up.

I suspect that the "slight irritation" is just worse for some people than it is for others since the band fit is so unique to each person.

Just thought I'd share :)

Edited by BlissfullyBanded

I have a hard time getting things down in the morning. Now, I just have some coffee or tea, and lately I've been making my own iced coffee, and adding 1/2 of an Atkins dark chocolate royale shake to it (I HATE Protein shakes, but I love the taste of this combo). After a couple of hours awake, I can eat pretty much whatever I want.

I am a little tight in the morning now after the last fill. I don't push it. my pa gave thumbs up to a green Protein Shake. I use super greens, a little acid like a orange, almond milk or soy milk and either honey or substitute sugar and than add a scoopful of vanilla Protein. even my skinny husband likes this and I double the protein when he wants one. it will fill you up for only awhile. you will need a solid lunch later. but at least you get in some protein.

I don't eat breakfast.... I drink two cups of coffee every morning, and then I have a "late" breakfast of a Protein shape after I come back from the gym around 11:30-11:45. My doc told me that the majority of his band patients can't eat breakfast in the morning!