Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Comparison: Alexian Brothers / Kane Center and University of Illinois Chicago

I bought the Bariatric Advantage ones against my better judgment. I don't really like them. I have tried over a dozen different shakes over the past few weeks so I think I'm going to stick with some of those. I did get a list of suggestions and since I've been testing them out I know what fills me up. It should make my grocery shopping easy this weekend!

I'm sure they're just as great in Elk Grove, I think it's an overall philosophy regarding excellence in patient care. The pre-op diet isn't all that bad. The first day you feel like your triumphant, second day is "I got this", then on the third day you feel it. Headache, tired, yucky. After that I was fine because you start seeing the scale move. I lost 10 pounds on the pre-op. Try to mix it up, they should have given you a list of different things to mix in, do it or you will get bored. Also, as you go the shakes will start to taste sweeter and sweeter. I have a really hard time with them now post-op. I've switched to Muscle Milk light, they don't taste overly sweet and they have great Protein.< /p>

I had my sleeve on May 12th at Alexian Brothers in Elk Grove. Dr. Rantis was my surgeon. The staff were amazing and took great care of me. I got home Wednesday night and am doing pretty well so far.

I'm sure they're just as great in Elk Grove, I think it's an overall philosophy regarding excellence in patient care. The pre-op diet isn't all that bad. The first day you feel like your triumphant, second day is "I got this", then on the third day you feel it. Headache, tired, yucky. After that I was fine because you start seeing the scale move. I lost 10 pounds on the pre-op. Try to mix it up, they should have given you a list of different things to mix in, do it or you will get bored. Also, as you go the shakes will start to taste sweeter and sweeter. I have a really hard time with them now post-op. I've switched to Muscle Milk light, they don't taste overly sweet and they have great Protein.

I had my sleeve on May 12th at Alexian Brothers in Elk Grove. Dr. Rantis was my surgeon. The staff were amazing and took great care of me. I got home Wednesday night and am doing pretty well so far.

That's awesome news. Welcome to the losers bench. I'm very glad you had a great experience at Alexian. I was so impressed with the staff at the Hoffman facility, glad you had the same in Elk Grove. Keep me posted on your progress. I'm stuck in another stall, Dr Guske wanted me to drop another 15 before my next appt. I now have 3 weeks to do that, not going to happen unless I starve myself at this point. I've even doubled the time on treadmill, increased the speed and doubled the incline.....Nothing. I'm trying desperately not to be upset, but 1 1/2 weeks with no loss is depressing. Nothing I can do except keep working the program right???

The one thing I've learned is that everyone is different. Don't let his goals get in the way of yours. One thing Rantis said to me was this is my journey and not anyone else's. These boards are great for help and support but they can also be counterproductive. I was so worried about not liking Water after surgery and being nauseous all the time because of so many posts I've read. Luckily, I only needed the anti-nausea meds a few times in the hospital and I'm having no trouble getting my water in. I was discouraged seeing all these people losing during pre-op when I hadn't. I still ended up losing 17 pounds. I don't plan to get on the scale until I follow up next week. Keep doing what you're doing and it will happen!

On another note, I'm guessing you are in the area since you went to Kane Center. I met another girl (her surgery is June 2). We have been hanging out and sharing experiences. If you ever want to meet for coffee or something let me know.

I'm so happy to find this. (This is my first post and was coming to ask about Alexian Brothers/Kane Center.) I was considering Northwestern or UIC, but I really liked the "smallness" and intimacy of Kane Center. The staff seems very friendly so far. After researching, I found they have a solid reputation. I was coming to the forums to see if others had have their sleeve done with them and their experiences.

I'm meeting with Dr. Kane next week.

The one thing I've learned is that everyone is different. Don't let his goals get in the way of yours. One thing Rantis said to me was this is my journey and not anyone else's. These boards are great for help and support but they can also be counterproductive. I was so worried about not liking Water after surgery and being nauseous all the time because of so many posts I've read. Luckily, I only needed the anti-nausea meds a few times in the hospital and I'm having no trouble getting my Water in. I was discouraged seeing all these people losing during pre-op when I hadn't. I still ended up losing 17 pounds. I don't plan to get on the scale until I follow up next week. Keep doing what you're doing and it will happen!

On another note, I'm guessing you are in the area since you went to Kane Center. I met another girl (her surgery is June 2). We have been hanging out and sharing experiences. If you ever want to meet for coffee or something let me know.

I would love to meet up with you. I'm in Elgin, so that would be awesome. I have to add, I stepped on the scale this am and I'm down 2 lbs, FINALLY. I'm going to be posting a few pictures. I compared them today and I can see how good I'm doing so I'm good now. I was thinking last night after my post about everything I'm doing and I know I'm doing everything right, so I need to be patient. I also have to remind myself I have Hypothyroidism so I'm not going to loose as quickly as everyone else. Let me know when you next meet is and I'll be there.

I'm so happy to find this. (This is my first post and was coming to ask about Alexian Brothers/Kane Center.) I was considering Northwestern or UIC, but I really liked the "smallness" and intimacy of Kane Center. The staff seems very friendly so far. After researching, I found they have a solid reputation. I was coming to the forums to see if others had have their sleeve done with them and their experiences.

I'm meeting with Dr. Kane next week.

You won't be sorry if you choose the Kane Center. Everyone (and I mean everyone) is so great. The support is great and like I've said to everyone, there's nobody there who's ever given me "The look". Anyone who's overweight knows what that is and I've never seen it. Keep us posted on your appointments. Dr Kane visited me in the hospital after my surgery. He was very nice, answered my questions and explained everything in a way I could understand. You'll like him very much.

I needed emergency gallbladder surgery and I lucked out getting Dr. Kane. Now I am on the journey of WLS. I can say the staff at St. Alexius Hospital was amazing when I was there! Dr. Lane was so kind and attentive, I'm excited of possibly having surgery with him again. His staff at the office is always helpful and kind, I have had no issues with any of them. They submitted my paper work to UHC on the 16th, I'm hoping to hear back soon!! I live in Schaumburg and it would be really nice to be part of a support group.

I have Dr. Guske too! I am so excited to find these wonderful posts on him. I have my pulmonary appointment tomorrow and cannot wait to get my surgery date. So far I have loved everything about the Kane Center. I never even had to call my insurance! I love how they have a patient coordinator who keep you up to date and on track for appointments! Here's to passing pulmonary with flying colors and getting that surgery on the calendar!

I have Dr. Guske too! I am so excited to find these wonderful posts on him. I have my pulmonary appointment tomorrow and cannot wait to get my surgery date. So far I have loved everything about the Kane Center. I never even had to call my insurance! I love how they have a patient coordinator who keep you up to date and on track for appointments! Here's to passing pulmonary with flying colors and getting that surgery on the calendar!

Vixie1013 - If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know. I love helping others who are going thru this whole thing. You're going to love Dr Guske and the entire staff. They're all great and so respectful. Also, if you go to Alexian in Hoffman Estates, excellent hospital... loved them as well. Everyone is so kind and understanding. This process was so easy because of them all. I sent a friend request, sometimes it's easier to ask questions that way, then I get an email, I don't always remember to check here. Best wishes for a quick and easy procedure. Terrie

I had Dr. Kane and was SO SO pleased with him, and The Kane Center. The staff is unbelieveably helpful and make the whole process seamless. I'm a little over 4 months post-op and am so glad I chose them.

(And you'll see my post above wondering all the same things many, many months ago!)

Edited by NotWishWhen512

Just had gastric sleeve with Dr Kame! 2/3/15. The Kane Center works like a well oiled machine. The care provided is outstanding. I had surgery Alexian Elk Grove. As a nurse myself I was amazed at the exceptional care the entire staff provided. I would recommend the program to anyone!

I also had Dr Guske for lap band surgery years ago. He put in a lap band, and then took it out after years, it was a failure. I am now thinking of going for sleeve surgery hopefully this coming November. I will definitely choose him again. He is excellent.

I am currently here at st. Alexius in Hoffman estates. I also cannot say enough about the staff here. From transport to patient care tech, to the nurses and doctors... All amazingly nice.