Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! Just found out my surgery date (June 2nd!!) I was originally supposed to have surgery in may but my insurance company put me through hell trying to decide if they would pay for it. it's been such a roller coaster ride getting here but now I'm so excited. I found out on the 27th what my pre-op diet will be and I think it will seem more real then. Right now it seems so far away but 3.5 weeks isn't a whole lot of time. My biggest challenge right now is not gaining back all the weight I had to lose before surgery because I feel like I need to eat this or that one last time. Anyone else having that problem?

I went thru a similar food funeral phase. Then I got my preop paperwork in the mail and it clearly states if you gain any weight before surgery, that it will be canceled. That will put the fear in you. Plus I have heard of doctors opening a person up, seeing a fatty liver, and then closing you back up without completing surgery. I don't want that to happen to me. My surgery is still 6 weeks away but I don't want to take any risks. I was put on their pre-op diet back in March, when I started the process. They did this because I did not have to go thru the 6 month diet ordeal. Yeah, the diet sucks and I have fallen off of it a few times but I keep on going. Good luck with your upcoming surgery!!!!

I'm doing a happy dance this morning. I have been stuck at 310 for 3 weeks. I got on the scale this morning and I finally broke that 310 curse. I am 309. I know it sounds silly but I have set a little before surgery goal for myself. I'm planning on being less than 300 on the day of my surgery. It's not an unreasonable goal.

Well I'm glad I'm not alone! I was doing really well up until now so it's time to get back on track... no way am I risking this surgery!

Hooray on your loss I'm so happy for you! Nothing wrong with setting small goals just for yourself it helps train the brain and keeps us going.

Hi everyone! I finally got the call for my surgery date yesterday, mine is going to be on June 19th. I have to start my Opti-fast liquid diet on May 29th. Any other RNY peeps out there that have tried the Opti-Fast and how are you finding the taste? And the all liquid diet itself, is it tough??

Edited by francineleclaire

hi guys. My opp will b on the 24th nd im also freaked out abt the pre opp diet

hi guys. My opp will b on the 24th nd im also freaked out abt the pre opp diet

No need to be freaked out about the pre-op diet. It is there to help your liver shrink, so it will be manageable during surgery. How long is your pre-op diet? Mine is only one week. I get 3 Protein Shakes a day and a lean cuisine or smart ones for dinner. Seems doable. Do you have an all liquid diet? I am not looking forward to the last day of my pre-op diet, all Clear Liquids and a bottle of magnesium citrate. That stuff is so gross. It may not be pleasant, but it is one of the most important diets we will ever be on.

No need to be freaked out about the pre-op diet. It is there to help your liver shrink, so it will be manageable during surgery. How long is your pre-op diet? Mine is only one week. I get 3 Protein Shakes a day and a lean cuisine or smart ones for dinner. Seems doable. Do you have an all liquid diet? I am not looking forward to the last day of my pre-op diet, all clear liquids and a bottle of magnesium citrate. That stuff is so gross. It may not be pleasant, but it is one of the most important diets we will ever be on.

Mine is also for a week but no food at all. 3 Protein shakes and we get to have a piece of fruit if we need something to chew on.

Mine is four Opti-Fast shakes a day and nothing else but Water or green tea. For three weeks! Lol. That's why I'm nervous about it.

Hello I am new on here. Today is my first time finding this app thanks to my sister. My husband is having surgery May 29th and I have it June 19th.

Our pre surgery diet is small foods like yogurt and fruit, 3 oz of meat, cottage cheese and Protein Shakes. Plus lots of liquids. We get Snacks like pickles and sugar free Jello.

I think I will like that better than all liquid. Good luck to us all!

Good luck to u and your husband. Your pre-op diet sounds reasonable. Hope mine isn't all liquids. Best Wishes, Andrea

Hello I am new on here. Today is my first time finding this app thanks to my sister. My husband is having surgery May 29th and I have it June 19th. Our pre surgery diet is small foods like yogurt and fruit, 3 oz of meat, cottage cheese and Protein Shakes. Plus lots of liquids. We get Snacks like pickles and sugar free Jello. I think I will like that better than all liquid. Good luck to us all!

Your pre op diet sounds way better than mine!! Lol. I guess we are both having it the same day, because I'm the 19th of June as well. I'm nervous because I've gained about ten pounds since my last appointment. Not because of food though, I wish! My surgeon insists on chewable, crushable or liquid medications for the first two months post-op, and I had to change antidepressants because Wellbutrin XL can't be crushed. My pharmacist and therapist decided liquid Prozac was the way to go and started me on last month, to ensure I can tolerate it ok prior to surgery. I'm hoping the Opti-fast liquid diet helps me shed the extra pounds. I'd hate to have my surgery postponed because a medication caused more weight gain instead of loss during my waiting period for surgery.

Edited by francineleclaire

Mine is four Opti-Fast shakes a day and nothing else but Water or green tea. For three weeks! Lol. That's why I'm nervous about it.

You can do it!:)

I believe you can do it. I have heard the first couple of days are worst part of the liquid diet then it gets better. We will be here for you if u need us.

well since the day of my surgery two months ago didn't go as we expected. I get to do all the food funerals and 2 week liver shrink diet over again. i got all worked up about it the first time but then it wasn't anywhere as hard as i thought it would be.

So i got another week and a 1/2 to go nuts lol

well since the day of my surgery two months ago didn't go as we expected. I get to do all the food funerals and 2 week liver shrink diet over again. i got all worked up about it the first time but then it wasn't anywhere as hard as i thought it would be.

So i got another week and a 1/2 to go nuts lol

If you don't mind me asking, what happened the first time you tried to have the surgery? I'm sorry if am butting into your business, I am curious about everything about every aspect of this surgery.