Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Grateful for the "Adjustable" part of the Lapband

This will be a long post, but I encourage you to read it if you are interested in how NSAIDs (specifically Advil) may affect your lapband, and why it's important to not be stubborn about getting an adjustment when it is needed.

In early February I slipped a disk in my back. This happens to me every five years or so; either I bend over incorrectly or I lift something incorrectly. Anyway, I know how to treat it (anti-inflammatories) and I know my recovery curve--usually a couple of weeks and the inflammation dies down and the disk slides back in place.

This time, however, I could not get out of the pain. The general rule for bandsters is no ibuprofen (Aleve, Advil, etc) and no heavy-hitting prescription oral antinflammatories. My surgeon specifically told me that if I needed any antinflammatories, I should first get an unfill. These medications can cause the stomach to swell, even if one protects the stomach with another med such as Nexium or Prilosec.

My GP said that since I couldn't be treated the conventional way, I should just do bedrest and take tylenol with codeine, and some Valium for its muscle-relaxing properties.

Well, things got worse and worse to a point where I was in excruciating pain. So I decided that "just a little bit" of Advil...the lowest dosage possible for the shortest amount of time (1200mg total each day for three days) would at least allow me to rise from my bed without clenching my teeth and howling like woman in labor. I did tell my GP I was doing this, but I didn't tell my lapband surgeon. I could not physically get to the clinic to get an unfill; I could barely walk and knew I couldn't get into a cab or a car.

Long story short--this wasn't powerful enough to reduce the inflammation, so I ended up getting a epidural steroid injection (five weeks after the initial slip) which was instantly effective in getting me out of pain. I should have done this first, as this type of treatment does not affect the stomach; the steroid stays localized.

However, about a week after I had taken the Advil, I noticed that I was way too tight. Everything I ate hurt...even Water hitting my stoma just sat there until it slowly filtered through. I called my surgeon who got me in to have a barium swallow (I always do my fills under fluroscopy anyway).

The barium swallow showed my normal restriction...6 cc, and the band was not too tight. In effect, the band was not too tight against the outside of my stomach, but the inside of my stoma was swollen almost shut. But I was not at risk of a slip or erosion, which was good to hear. So I was advised to wait it out.

Things got worse. I could not eat anything solid, and just a bit of tuna fish mushed up with mayo would take me 2.5 hours to eat, most of that just spent looking at it and willing myself to eat it. I was getting extremely tired, a bit disoriented, and even thinking about preparing a meal for my family and sitting at the table make me upset. The only thing I could slightly get down was extremely hot Water (even tea had become too irritating to my stoma) which seemed to kind of "flush" open my stoma.

I went to my surgeon's office to ask him what was happening. Why, after one month of a tiny bit of Advil, was this happening, and what should I do?

He explained that anti-inflammatories irritate the stomach. In turn, the stomach will produce mucus to combat the irritation. So basically my stoma had become its very own sliming machine, perpetually renewing mucus and plugging up the small opening into my pouch. (This explains why the hot water was giving me a little relief...it was acting as a kind of "Drano" to the mucus, at least for a minute or so, until the stuff reproduced itself and plugged me back up). He said I could get an unfill if I like, or I could wait it out...estimated two-four weeks on double doses of Nexium to get my stoma back to its normal-size opening.

I was still on work stop for my back issue at that time so I thought I could wait it out. So everyday became a trial of drinking hot water, eating a little bit of yogurt, drinking more hot water, rinse and repeat. Everything that passed my stoma caused me immense pain. I would undo my bra, hunch over my shoulders, lean over diagonally, tap on my sternum..anything and everything to get water/yogurt/soup down. My hair started to fall out again, and I had no color to my skin. Everytime I stood up I saw stars.

At least I was out of back pain! (But couldn't walk around to enjoy it.)

After one week things were getting even worse. I started waking up in the night choking on the slime, which was increasing...not only was it plugging up my stoma, but it was coming up my throat.

Now usually I can wait stuff out. I wait out fills that seem a little too tight. I waited out the initial pain of my slipped disk. But I was not going to live like this another 2-4 weeks to see if things would settle down. They clearly weren't. Time to tap into the power of the "Adjustable" part of the gastric band!

So yesterday I went back to the radiology clinic where I do my fills, gave the doctor a copy of the barium swallow he had done a week previously, and told him I wanted a partial unfill.

He took me from 6.0 to 3.0. WHOOSH! A giant mass of organic material released itself from my stoma. *Imagine a toilet being flushed*

I got into my car and glanced at the water bottle on the passenger seat. My reflex was to anticipate pain. But I took a small swig of it, and OH MY LORD IT WENT DOWN NORMALLY.

I was SO happy I sipped and sipped and sipped during my entire drive into work. You'd think I'd never drunk a drop of water in my life, I was so thrilled. I was drinking without pain!

About an hour after I had been partially unfilled, I had a hunger pang. I had forgotten about those, too. I'm talking hunger pang like when we were in Bandster Hell. Of course! Because I am now back to Bandster Hell. But that's ok. The alternative was not an option for me.

My surgeon's protocol is to let my stomach/stoma rest and recover for three months. So I'll be brought back to my sweet spot in late June.

Until then, I'm going to let you all carry me through this Bandster Hell version 2.0. I feel right now I can do this on will power (I'm going to have to, since my band is so open) but I know I'm going to be coming in here often to help myself to your ever-present motivation.

I don't wish a similar experience on anyone, but I'm really glad I choose a WLS surgery that could be adjusted for circumstances such as this one.

Edited by parisshel

Wow, you must be so relieved to have that plug gone and to be able to swallow well again. And that back pain is behind you, too. Hallelujah and here's to spring, being able to exercise outdoors and really recover from this winter's difficulties. June will be here before you know it -- call out for support whenever you need a boost in this 2.0 Bandster Hell. You are so in touch with your body and what it needs. Exercise, Protein, veggies.

I am now totally convinced about the NSAIDS. My surgeon does not prohibit them but I don't ever want to get into this kind of trouble with swelling. Some of us are more inclined to inflammation than others and that is my body type (arthritis profile, etc.).

What a story! This is another example of how we all misunderstand how our bodies immune/rehabilitation systems work. One would think that an anti-inflammatory drug would reduce the swelling in our stomachs as well as our knees, backs sprained ankles? But, the fact that the drug flowing through our veins causes some of the stomach bacteria to dissipate can then cause the stomach to produce fluids that actually cause more inflammation?

I now deem you to be the forums master authority on Nsaids ;)

tmf

Thank you soooo much for sharing this! Feel better soon!

So glad you were able to get some relief. Now let's hope you get total

relief with your back. You can make it until June. My doctor said I could take

Advil from time to time but not on a regular basis. I sure will be cautious about

taking it at all now.

@@parisshel Holy cow lady! Thanks for posting this. I was having some simillar issues the last few days. I had my last fill done almost 2 months ago. I got badly stuck on chicken one night, and I have been sick with flu like cough and cold which only added to the ick factor, on top of mega stress so the swelling feeling of being stuck was feeling like it was all the time. Simple things like yogurt and cottage cheese would take 30 minutes or more to clear the band.

I was on liquids for about 3 days to try and reduce the swelling but nothing cleared up. Today it felt like it was getting worse so I called the doctor's office this afternoon popped in, they took me right away I have the BEST Dr. if I may say so! The PA took out 1cc, I had instant relief and feel so much better!!

I love the adjustable factor to our bands! Sometimes things happen and you just need to be flexible and I love that the band can do that for us it's one of the main reasons I chose this surgery over the others as well. I almost forgot that until I read your post today and that had me right on the phone and at the Dr. for some help!

Parisshel, I have lived the last decade-plus on daily NSAIDs for arthritis. I went off them in October preparing for this surgery. Thank you so much for all of this valuable information. I've been managing with liquid acetaminophen and daily exercise. I also use a small water bottle at work now which causes me to get up from my desk often for refills, keeping me from getting stiff and sore. I won't tempt fate with even a single dose of ibuprofen or NSAIDs. Glad to know the reasons behind it. Thank you so much and good luck!

Oh my. I'm glad you're no longer in pain. I agree, I'm glad we have a tool that is adjustable in situations in which we may need to have it filled or unfilled. Happy healing.

Edited by Lady VS

Thank you for sharing your story @@parisshel …. so sorry you have had so much pain and have had to go through all of that in addition to your back pain!! Wishing you continued good health as you fully recover.

You will make it through bandster hell 2.0 because you already successfully made it through the first one. You are strong and successful and you know what you need to do to help yourself succeed! YOU CAN DO IT…..AND YOU WILL! :rolleyes:

@@lisacaron …so sorry you've been so sick and glad that OUR great doc….lol…was there to help relieve the issues you were having, at least with your band….like you don't have enough going on! Talk soon! ;)

Wait... What??? We Are NOT supposed to take NSAID's?????

I've been banded for 4 years! I was NEVER told this!!!

I'm sorry you had to suffer this, but thankful you shared your story.

Could taking NSAID's been the cause of my suffering all these years?

I take Celebrex.....I was banded on January 17th....I being the goofy person I am, didn't realize Celebrex was an anti-inflammatory so you can imagine how I flipped when I read these post. Immediately got on the phone with my doctors office and was told as long as I take my Celebrex with food I will be fine...most of their patients take Celebrex and have not had any trouble....still I worry. :/

@ABLOND: Celebrex may be one of those anti-inflammatories that doesn't affect the stomach as ibuprofen does. I don't know what the difference is in their molecular construct, but I did see on this forum other posts regarding Celebrex and its lack of side effects for certain bandsters.

I'm hoping so, cause I can't imagine trying to move without it. I can go one day without it, but by day two every joint I have hurts and doesn't want to bend/move like it's supposed to...

It's quite possible. My doctor and team told me no nsaids as well and I suffer with osteoarthritis and I've been banded over three years and haven't been on my meds ever since. I just use my Patches and they prescribed a cream for me to use, plus my braces.

I'm hoping so, cause I can't imagine trying to move without it. I can go one day without it, but by day two every joint I have hurts and doesn't want to bend/move like it's supposed to...

Wow!!!! I totally understand. I will definitely talk to my doctors about this.