Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's good to look back

I just saw a post I made in July because Debbie 'liked' it and it came to my inbox. The topic was losing weight after the age of 50. Here's what I said:

I'm going to be 55 next month and want to lose around 120 lbs. I've lost 73 already and have done no exercise at all because of the severe arthritis. I go into the pool three days a week but it's to try to move and strengthen the knee, not to burn calories. I've no idea why I'm so successful...I'm not doing anything different than anyone else who's following the rules. I thought the same thing as you....how long would it take to lose the weight at my age and without exercising. I'm just grateful that it has come off so quickly...I need a full knee replacement and wasn't able to have the surgery till I lost a significant amount of weight. I met that goal a couple of weeks ago and will have the surgery in the fall I hope.

Well, most of you know that the knee replacement turned into a bi-lateral hip replacement. You also probably know that it has been a long and difficult recovery. But you also know just from looking at my ticker that I've met that weight goal I was hoping for as well...or close enough that the exact number doesn't matter. You may also know that I am still going to the pool two or three days a week but not just to splash around any more. Now I attend a Water exercise class and am moving, jumping, stretching, and balancing in a way that the girl who wrote the above post never imagined she would ever be able to do again. I'm also dealing with other health issues that were never even on the radar at the time I wrote the original post and that has shown me that we never can anticipate what's coming down the road and we just have to do the best we can each and every day. Some days will be better than others but given all I know now that I didn't know then, I'm better able to face my challenges at this healthier weight.

To my friends who are dealing with their own issues, both physical and emotional, this is a real good reminder that we can only control a little bit of our world...and we can only do the best we can....even if we know or think we can do better. Sending out big hugs to you gals...I know some of us are struggling and I want you to know that I love you all!

Edited by gowalking

I love your posts.....and your strength. I'm 58, and relate to so much of what you write. I too have lost most all of my weight, and feel SO much better. Even still, there are other issues that plague me every day; some days worse than others. I completely agree that dealing with the other "stuff" at a normal weight, is so much healthier and better overall. But we can't stop aging and all the issues that come along with it.

Congrats on your success. You've got a very strong spirit.....GREAT job!

Edited by mrsto

Thank you for that! I keep waiting for some let-up in the pain department but meanwhile so grateful for the weight loss progress, which will hopefully lead to less impact on the joints, better sleep for healing, etc. But these days I am so happy I don't let the other stuff get me down as easily -- the band has given me this enormous relief and I feel I can take on the other issues more readily and with a clearer head. Your posts have helped me so much -- to see what a turn-around you've been able to achieve is so inspiring. Even on NSAID and ice pack days I feel like there are others who really get it, this need to save ourselves, to be able to live as fully as possible. Thank you for that!

You are amazing and Im glad Ive gotten to know you better! You are strong and determined and very inspirational!….and a very big success in my book….in all ways!

So glad to be reading all of these post by my

50-something friends! Definitely feel better than I did in my 40's !!!!!

so happy to see some of us older ladies successes. I am 67 and have lost 60 lbs I have about 15 more lbs to lose to meet my goal but my life and health has improved dramatically in the year since I had my surgery. I so admire gowalking and others who not only have issues with weight loss but other serious physical issues to cope with as well. I feel very blessed each and every day that at my age I am very active and able to participate in much more than ever before. Keep posting and inspiring and motivating not only us older folks but reach out to some younger people as well. It seems I see more and more young people who are obese these days and my heart breaks for them.