Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you eat 10 days post op?

Hi all,

This is my first thread. I was banded on March 10, 2014. Today I am 10 days post op. I lost 13.8 pounds so far! This is very exciting for me BUT I AM HUNGRY! I can consume more then 4oz every hour and I won't lie.. I had a few bites of food (scrambled egg, a few bites of a mashed potato ..) I never got the "stuck" feeling and I took small bites and was satisfied. Am I horrible?! What did you eat 10 days post-op?

Welcome to banded life! Don't worry about being able to eat more than you think you should right now. It sounds like you've healed well and your swelling has gone down and now the hunger is kicking in...you're right on schedule. That's the good news.

For the bad news:

During this time, unless you had a fill during surgery (3cc's is popular) you're just in the stages of adapting to the band and it's not "turned on" yet. You're going to be hungry, you're going to be able to eat a whole lot of food and you'll worry that the band isn't going to be right for you. Sound about right?

Quiet those thoughts, what you are experiencing and what is to come is normal. To fill up without doing too much damage I ate:

Cream of wheat

Oat meal

Green Beans

Broccoli (crown only)

Salads

tuna

Boiled chicken

Crab meat

String cheese

Peanut Butter

Cottage cheese

Berries

It's been a while, I'm sure there were other things but this is a pretty good idea of it.

Edited by PrettyThick1

Most all of us were very hungry till we got the fill/adjustment that gave us enough restriction to feel satisfied with smaller portions. Till then it's just another diet.

What we all ate will be different. Most of us followed our doctors orders/program and each doctor has a different program. I've seen some people who were on liquids for 30 days. Check your own program to make sure you follow your doctors script.

tmf

Hey, congratulations on your surgery! Very exciting. Post-op protocols vary so much. Mine was one day clear, one week full liquids and then one week of mushies. So I guess I was right there in mushie-ville at ten days. One of the things I'm learning about banded life is that it turns out hunger is not really the enemy anymore. This did not happen right away -- I have had six small fills to get to this place. Now when I'm hungry I feel like it's a positive signal from my body that it needs food. Just like a "normal" person! Then a feeling of having had enough. All of that will come your way, but of course there is this time now of healing up completely and keeping all the appointments with the surgeon's office to assess for fills, etc. Meanwhile, spring! What a great time to have a brand new chapter in life open up. Best wishes to you.

Ten days post OP I was still on purées.

Safeway has a southwestern black bean Soup that I would blend with some cooked ground turkey. I ate 1/4 cup at a time, 3-4 times per day. 12 gr Protein each.

I made instant sf pudding adding Meal Replacement shake powder and non fat milk. I made 1/2 cup portions and would eat 1 per day. 13 gr Protein each.

Breakfast was poached eggs, mashed up.

Other foods, cottage cheese, pnut butter in my vanilla shake

No noodle lasagna is good too. Just run all coarse ingredients thru food processor till very small. Assemble as usual, in layers. Just leave out the noodles.

Edited by Bandarella

Welcome to banded life! Don't worry about being able to eat more than you think you should right now. It sounds like you've healed well and your swelling has gone down and now the hunger is kicking in...you're right on schedule. That's the good news.

For the bad news:

During this time, unless you had a fill during surgery (3cc's is popular) you're just in the stages of adapting to the band and it's not "turned on" yet. You're going to be hungry, you're going to be able to eat a whole lot of food and you'll worry that the band isn't going to be right for you. Sound about right?

Quiet those thoughts, what you are experiencing and what is to come is normal. To fill up without doing too much damage I ate:

Cream of wheat

Oat meal

Green Beans

Broccoli (crown only)

Salads

tuna

Boiled chicken

Crab meat

String cheese

Peanut Butter

Cottage cheese

Berries

It's been a while, I'm sure there were other things but this is a pretty good idea of it.

You ate tuna, green Beans, broccoli, salad, chicken, crab and string cheese at 10 days post op?

Me TOO! I was banded March 7 and feel like I'm hungry all the time. I've been trying to find mushie recipes to help fill me up more but I'm still hungry. I found that if I chew, chew, chew and chew chew chew some more, I can eat things like egg salad - which did eventually fill me up but must admit, it took more than the allowed 1/2 cup to do so. I was starting to wonder if this band thing was really for me and scared to death that once again, I invested good money; money I don't have to throw away...on another WL scam. BUT reading your posts from others advising this is all a normal "process" and that I will eventually get to the FILLED point, gives me encouragement. I'm supposed to have my first fill April 7th, but I'm calling the doc office tomorrow to talk about my hunger and see if maybe we need to bump up the fill date. I don't want to do poorly. Thanks for being so honest. :-)

Congrats on your surgery! I wrote a post on my blog about the mushie/pureed foods and included some recipes and ideas to try.

You can check it out here if you want:

http://blissfullybanded.wordpress.com/blended-foods-aka-mushies/

I ate a lot of refried Beans, vanilla greek yogurt, pudding with Protein powder added, oat bran, and Protein shakes lol

Edited by BlissfullyBanded

I'm not sure if I had ANY fill during surgery, which I should find out. I don't know if it's my motivation now telling me to eat smaller portions or if it's really my band lol. Tomorrow I am 3 weeks post op and tonight was my first meal out... I had a French onion Soup, half of a salad with some chicken and a split a cheesecake with my friend (this was over a 2 hour period) and now I feel guilty, but honestly if I didn't have the band I feel like I would have had wings, a salad and a meal and dessert so... I'm thinking I am restricted and motivated haha