Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm day 5 post-op and doing full liquids for six weeks. Yesterday I got a bowl of Soup from a local take-out. I had to eat the liquid and throw away the chunks of veggies, but it was fine, satisfying and only a little wasteful. So today I think, hey, speak up and ask for what you want. I spent several minutes explaining to the cashier that due to a dietary restriction, it would help a lot if today they could just skim the top, liquid part of the soup into my container and not give me any chunks from the bottom. Questions back and forth a few times, it seems they understood. When I paid at the second window, I confirmed that it was just liquid, right? Right, no chunks. Excellent, thank you! It smelled a little too good, however. Sure enough, when I opened it up later, there was the lovely liquid soup, with almost no chunks. Plus a hunk of bread and a free order of French fries. Gotta laugh. In the trash the freebies went. Good soup though.

When I was first banded my husband and I would go out to eat as we often did pre-band. We would get some looks from the owners of the restaurants and our wait staff.

I tried to tell him it would be better to just order one meal and we could just share it but in the early stages your eyes are literally bigger then your tummy so he would order a meal and I would order something and we would not be able to finish it.

Are you OK is everything OK all kinds of questions! Even if we didn't want to take left overs home when we would check out they would give us dessert to go home with?! Really? Of course we would have to say NO no no no no no...and eventually they all got it. We weren't trying to slight them or their food, we just didn't need to be eating like we did before. :)

Oh gosh....full liquids for six weeks?? You are a better woman than I.

I was on full liquids for two weeks and then went to mushies. And pre-op was allowed veggies along with broth and Protein drinks. Good luck, stay strong!!

So good you worked that out, but very funny about the bread, etc. The whole wasting food thing is so different for me now that I am thinking about everything that goes into my body and whether it's right for me -- even the good stuff like Protein, etc. can be too much if I've had enough already. I figure it's okay. I was always such a "finisher" -- clean plate club, etc. It feels really good now not to have to finish my food but to listen instead for when I've had enough, and -- miracle of miracles -- stop. Before being banded, even when I knew I had reached that point, I just kept going anyway. Thus the band and the new life. Yippee!

Gowalking, hold the praise for a few weeks. I'm on day five. LOL.

I'm day 5 post-op and doing full liquids for six weeks. Yesterday I got a bowl of Soup from a local take-out. I had to eat the liquid and throw away the chunks of veggies, but it was fine, satisfying and only a little wasteful. So today I think, hey, speak up and ask for what you want. I spent several minutes explaining to the cashier that due to a dietary restriction, it would help a lot if today they could just skim the top, liquid part of the soup into my container and not give me any chunks from the bottom. Questions back and forth a few times, it seems they understood. When I paid at the second window, I confirmed that it was just liquid, right? Right, no chunks. Excellent, thank you! It smelled a little too good, however. Sure enough, when I opened it up later, there was the lovely liquid soup, with almost no chunks. Plus a hunk of bread and a free order of French fries. Gotta laugh. In the trash the freebies went. Good soup though.

I understand what you are going through I had the same experience with my husband and still do. I am starting seven weeks post op.

my word i have trouble doing the liquids for 24hrs after a fill :D keep it up though as it's certainly worth it.. on a side note that is how i have always ordered minestrone soup.. loved the broth but hated the chunks so folks have always thought i was crazy so i'm used to it now

my word i have trouble doing the liquids for 24hrs after a fill :D keep it up though as it's certainly worth it.. on a side note that is how i have always ordered minestrone soup.. loved the broth but hated the chunks so folks have always thought i was crazy so i'm used to it now

I had my first fill last Wednesday. I had to do Clear Liquids for 48 hours then full liquids for 12 hours. We have to do what is needed to get where we want to be. So I guess you and I are crazy ok.

Edited by MzEboni912

My NUT called today to see how I'm doing. I asked for more liquid ideas. Basically anything sugar free, low fat, high Protein. I asked about keeping it interesting these next six weeks. She said the doctor's protocol goal is for me to achieve a big weight loss during this time to get a good start and good discipline. So, boring and hungry it is.

I will say I was warned that this is the hardest time. On liquids, no fill, six weeks. After this food will seem like a gift.

You seem like you're going to do just fine!! When the weight starts to fall off you, you'll love that you had to be on the 6 weeks of liquids. Once you go without for a while, you won't miss it much.

I don't miss bread anymore. It's just something I don't eat. I don't want it anymore.

Stay strong!!

Thanks!

Lol

remembering back to my post op weeks.. it was difficult but I was determined not to screw this up. I used Protein shakes and drinks and chicken broth and beef broth. As far as eating out, I went to Red Robin with my grandkids one day while shopping and I said to the waiter I just wanted Soup because I had weight loss surgery. He beamed at me and said I did too and I have lost 115 lbs. He was so understanding and made sure I had anything I wanted. I believe if you are honest with your waiter or waitress most will try to accommodate you.