Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to Bypass discussion

Hello my fellow revisioners. How are you doing since converting from the band to Gastric bypass or sleeve? I'm wondering if what I'm experiencing is typical or not. Strangely since I've had the RNY I haven't felt like I have any restriction. I'm wondering if it's because I'm used to the band. For example. I remember in the hospital when I had to take sips of Water I was very worried at first and sipped very slowly but much to my surprise I had no problem drinking. I've noticed no matter what I eat or drink I don't feel restricted in any way. I tried a taco today with meat, cheese, onion, Tomato, taco sauce on a shell and although I ate it slowly I had no problem eating it. I did not feel full or stuffed, in fact I could eat more even though I would never try but I thought it odd. With the band I'm not sure I could have eaten the whole thing in the same time frame. Any one else experience this? I just want to say until this experiment I've only been eating Protein Shakes, sugar free pudding, chicken and cheese sticks. At almost 7 weeks out I'm wondering if my new small stomach is really all that small or am I just worrying unnecessarily.

Edited by Meintraining

Hello!

I and a revison from band to bypass as well. I am 3 weeks post op and sometimes I feel restriction (as in getting full) but NOT all the time. However, I was eating chicken salad and went back for more because the lack of "fullness" and that was a big mistake!!! You are right, w/the band you could eat but one false overbite of food and it came back up. Now with the bypass (for me) it is more like being afraid to stretch my stomach than anything else. Im impressed you were able to take down a taco! IM DIEING FOR CARBS! :)

Hello Heidi,

Thanks for responding. It's always nice to share experiences. This whole journey has been interesting. I know what you mean about carbs. It was a long 6 weeks post op! It's weird once switching to full foods and trying things out. I wish I knew what amount was normal.

OMG I feel the same way! I feel (as compared to the band) there is no restriction at all. Same exact thing. I was shocked I could drink Water, shocked I could down a cup or more of Soup. Shocked that I've never thrown up, not once. I keep waiting for the full feeling to kick in, but I can't recognize it yet.

On another site, bypass people have shared that it's going to take a while for my stitches to heal, which should make my little pouch tighter. My doctor pretty much said the same thing. But he also told me flat out that because I had the band first, the weight loss would be slower (it is), and I was prepared (but not happy about it!).

I'm still trying to figure this new surgery out - just like you!

OMG I feel the same way! I feel (as compared to the band) there is no restriction at all. Same exact thing. I was shocked I could drink Water, shocked I could down a cup or more of Soup. Shocked that I've never thrown up, not once. I keep waiting for the full feeling to kick in, but I can't recognize it yet. On another site, bypass people have shared that it's going to take a while for my stitches to heal, which should make my little pouch tighter. My doctor pretty much said the same thing. But he also told me flat out that because I had the band first, the weight loss would be slower (it is), and I was prepared (but not happy about it!). I'm still trying to figure this new surgery out - just like you!

Doer, boy was I happy to read your post!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for sharing. It's nice to know I'm not alone. My doc is super nice but he doesn't tell me little things like that. With the bypass I almost feel like it's all willpower because there is little restriction. I never read that anywhere. I was nervous like the surgery didn't take or something. I mean the extreme weight loss is from food restriction and following the diet stages. I guess how the bypass helps is with not having hunger. Still learning and getting to know my new tool. Thanks for sharing.

I was nervous like the surgery didn't take or something. I mean the extreme weight loss is from food restriction and following the diet stages. I guess how the bypass helps is with not having hunger. Still learning and getting to know my new tool. Thanks for sharing.

I'm nervous about the same thing EVERY DAY!! I actually asked the PA if my doctor made a mistake and gave me a big pouch! She laughed, and told me, "No way."

But on top of being shocked that I can swallow, eat, and never throw up, I am losing weight about half as quickly as I did with the band. In the first month after band surgery, I had lost almost 30 pounds. Oh, and other new bypassers lose 30 or even 35 in the first month!

Not me! I've lost 18 in six weeks since the surgery. Oh, AND I FEEL HUNGRY all the time!! People keep telling me it's "head hunger" ... but finally someone else just posted that she felt hungry all the time, too, for the first couple of months!

I go for my first follow up Monday after work, so I'm eager to see what they think about my progress and questions!

But the good news is I don't have that horrible crazy-making band in me anymore!! The bad parts of the band were unbearable!

I'm interested to hear what your doc says. We are so much alike in our journey. Hang in there and keep us posted.

I am like y'all. But let's remember the 2 surgeries we all had are very different. Have either one of you dumped? If I eat more than 6 spoons of food or have more than 2 bites of something sweet I dump bad.. I'm down 32#s since Jan 9th and am feeling good but miss that restriction as well. I hated lapband tho, my port hurt every night. I'm glad of the decision I made!

I am like y'all. But let's remember the 2 surgeries we all had are very different. Have either one of you dumped? If I eat more than 6 spoons of food or have more than 2 bites of something sweet I dump bad.. I'm down 32#s since Jan 9th and am feeling good but miss that restriction as well. I hated lapband tho, my port hurt every night. I'm glad of the decision I made!

Hello! I am not sure if I have dumped by what people suggested it has felt like. I have had to run to the bathroom but never have I felt weak, vomity or had the shivers so I am not sure.

Tomorrow will make 4 weeks since I had my surgery. I have not weighed myself in a week...alittle scared but I recently started to develop hunger pains. THIS SUCKS!!

Yesterday after work was my first appointment in my surgeon's office since my surgery February 10. He has a "satelite" office about ten minutes from where I live, which is how I came to know of him. Had I realized what a pain it would be to have a surgeon who for most things is a good hour and a half away, I would rethink my choice. But I do adore him, and everyone in his office, and I know that counts for a lot.

Turns out my surgeon wasn't even IN yesterday, but I met with the PA (whom I love and trust). With a worried expression I got weighed in (down 19 since Feb 10), and shared my concerns with her.

* worried that since I don't feel "full" when I eat as much as 3/4 cup of something, maybe I've already stretched my pouch.

* worried that since some people say my pouch may be bigger as a result of the revision from band (on account of scarring), maybe that's why I'm not losing as much as I thought I would.

*worried that maybe I'm not "doing it right"

*worried because I'm so darned tired all the time - the only negative about this surgery experience being that I'm really exhausted after work, much more than I thought I'd be six weeks out.

She told me that my pouch is not bigger, that, if anything, revisions sometimes are smaller.

She told me that she, too, lost a lot slower after revision (from band) and that she, too, was very perplexed by how different the two surgeries make you feel (as to hunger and fullness).

She told me that I'm doing great, and actually encouraged me to eat MORE whole foods.

Turns out in relating what I've been eating, during the school week I drink a shake for Breakfast (easy, quick, lots of protein) and a shake for lunch (same!), and only have a "real food" for dinner. She says she wants me to have only one shake a day, and perhaps even drink that as a snack.

She also told me that it took her about six months (after the bypass) to feel "restriction" ... meaning to feel like her pouch only held a little bit of food. And now she's just about always totally full eating 1/2 cup to at most 1 cup of food. Totally full.

She also told me not to sweat ONE BIT the fact that I drink about a half a cup of real coffee every day, or that I've had a half glass of wine a couple of times when I went out. I'm drinking plenty of Water, doing everything I'm told, taking my Vitamins, and it's all as it should be.

I just wanted to be skinny again TODAY heheheh.

@Doer-

That is great. Did the PA help put your mind at ease? Because that story put ME at ease! LOL. I have my one month f/u today. This week I only lost 3 pds (16pds overall since the surgery) :-(

I am too tired after works which makes getting to the gym all that more difficult....so I clean the house or play w/my dogs to get in some excercise since I sit behind a desk all day.

Keep up the good work!

Doer,

Invaluable information! Thank you sooooooo much for sharing. Those are my exact questions. I will tell you I am freezing and exhausted all the time. I go to the gym everyday but boy am I wiped out come night time. Unfortunately I've now added lactose intolerance to my repertoire. All my safe foods like yogurt and LF cheese sticks are no longer safe. Just about everything has milk in it. Congrats on your weight loss. I have finally accepted my weight loss would be slower and I'm ok with it as long as I continue to lose a little. This hasn't been an easy road. I have no idea who ever said it was, was crazy! Thank you again so much for sharing.

I am always cold, used to always be hot. I keep my heater on 75 and still have a house coat on!

We are tired because our body is having to take our stored fat to make energy to survive, I'm 3 months out and still tired.. usually asleep by 8pm.

I am always cold, used to always be hot. I keep my heater on 75 and still have a house coat on! We are tired because our body is having to take our stored fat to make energy to survive, I'm 3 months out and still tired.. usually asleep by 8pm.

I used to go to bed at 1 or 2 am. Not anymore. I fall asleep watching my shows at night. I never used to do that.

So glad I read this thread because I have been experiencing the same thing since my band to gastric bypass. I was reading other threads and feeling down because they were losing so fast. Now I don't feel bad with the 1 to 2 pound loss a week. Thanks for sharing!