Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

:thumbup:I have been among the missing but was suprised to see that I am not the only one. I have re-committed to logging onto the site everyday and am back to exercising. I have gained about 8 lbs and don't want to go any further in that direction!

Just an update. Post-sleeve I've been doing fine. Weight is holding in a healthy ~3 lb range. I'm not 100% happy with my body shape but who ever is? I'm finally getting a permanent place and will put a home gym to help that.

Since the truest pictures are ones where you don't know you're being shot, here's a before-and-during comparison. White shirt is late 2006, at about 300 lbs and a 42" jean. The brown shirt photo is April 2010, at 187 lbs and a 36" jean.

post-240658-13813139256221_thumb.jpg

post-240658-13813139256545_thumb.jpg

hi May bandsters, coming on my 3 year anniversary. I feel fine but sure would like to lose my last 20 or so pounds. Anyone else having this same issue? I have gained about 7 pounds from my lowest and that adds to the 20 pounds, so now I have 27 pounds to lose :biggrin:

I am in the same boat...I got careless and lazy and gained 8 lbs. I have taken it off and I am exercising 6-7 days a week. I am lucky if I loose a lb a week...........patience is becoming one of MY virtues!

you are right, exercise needs to come into play here. I am seriously thinking about joining Weight Watchers to lose the rest of the weight.

I too, have fallen off the wagon. Exercise is scarce to say the least and my eating habits have gone to crap. I have gained back 6 lbs and still wanted to lose some. Now I think I wanna lose about 26. More hope to get down a couple pants sizes more than the # on the scale. I am confused because sometimes I feel like I eat too much and need a fill, other times I can't keep anything down. I still have not "mastered" the band. I am going to also recommit myself to walking a mile daily and getting in some treadmill time. I will also try to log in daily and stay away from Starbucks, ice-cream and hot cheese puffs. Those have been my weaknesses lately. Ughh. Bad habits coming back!!

Hey guys!!! Wow its been a long time for me!!! Well I am doing NOTHING band related! I am pregnant again and actually about to deliver any day now. I thought I would loose all the weight I gainned with my baby from 2008 but nope...... got pregnant again and right now I am the highest I ever been in my life 271 lbs. I have gainned 53 lbs.....YUCK!!! I hope to have my baby girl and get back to the band and get back to my 175 that I was sooo happy with. Seems like a long way away though. I turned 37 this year and this is my fourth baby.....but I hope and pray that by the time I reach 40 I am a HOT, HOT mamma!!! Hope I can get back to the band!!!

Hi everyone- is anyone still out there?

Looking for an ear- I am pretty sure I may need to get a slight un-fill, but I am looking for some guidance. My band may be too tight. I know last time I talked with my doctor- last November- he mentioned that scar tissue tends to build up around the 2nd year, we are now into year 3. I have not had any weight loss since November, and have actually gained 10 lbs over the past few months. I have been walking for exercise, at least a mile (if not 2) 5 times a week. I also have had really bad heartburn to the point that I have been taking Maalox tabs pretty much daily. I have also had more frequent bouts of regurgitation at night. Waking up with a cough and choking on it. Not only is it gross, but it worries me. And it's not that I'm eating late, If I even have Water, it eventually comes up. Even if I sit up for a half-hour or so before laying down.

Any advice??? HELP!

Tami

Hey all i'm here...9 months post baby and almost lost all the baby weight....but i've been back to the gym and kicking butt and still can't lose these last 6 lbs...(I was down to 204 but I bounced back up to 206) so Monday I joined a spinning class...WOW...it REALLY kicked butt, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to walk out of the class room. I waited about 10 minutes and slowly made my way down to the locker room where I locked myself in a stall and cried for about 5 minutes (I dunno why-i'm just crazy I guess) so today I went to the Sports store and bought a pair of biking shorts and guess what? I'm going back to class tomorrow...I HATED it, but I can't have it kicking MY butt now can I? Yes I think I am crazy...any words of encouragement would be GREATLY appreciated!

@Tamjpjb: You sound like you're too tight. Go get a checkup under fluro and see what the band is doing. Barium swallows suck but they're necessary and you can immediately see what's happening. We used it to diagnose the second slip on my former band.

It sounds like you're slightly too tight.

I can't give much advice beyond that.

@the whole world: As an update, I continue to stay right around 185, which is a healthy weight for me.

Edited by Jack
requested edit by OP

just got back from the doctor- still having heartburn, regurgitation and weight gain. Doc removed all of my fill and wants me to be on a "band-vacation" for a month. YIKES! I'm afraid. I am really going to have to recommit to the rules and exercise to keep form going out of control. I really hope that I can do this. My confidence is not very high that I can. I am going to the CMA Awards in April and want to be able to fit into last years dress. :-)

Wish me luck.

just got back from the doctor- still having heartburn, regurgitation and weight gain. Doc removed all of my fill and wants me to be on a "band-vacation" for a month. YIKES! I'm afraid. I am really going to have to recommit to the rules and exercise to keep form going out of control. I really hope that I can do this. My confidence is not very high that I can. I am going to the CMA Awards in April and want to be able to fit into last years dress. :-)

Wish me luck.

How were the CMAs?

Hello to all my May 2007 Friends,

Been a long and difficult road for me. My weight loss has been abysmal; I am about the same weight as when I had the surgery. I had lost a lot of weight in the months preceding the lap band, so at least I haven't gained anything back, and I believe the band is to be credited for that. My disappointment in myself is so great that I haven't wanted to face any of you - although I knew there was support here. I have also completely avoided seeing the doc for over two years. I know! I know!

Then, this weekend, my band slipped and I am now forced to deal with my issues. I will be having a discussion with my surgeon on Thursday. Not sure if I want to try the band again, have it removed or go with bypass (my insurance won't pay for the sleeve).

I will be in touch later in the week - really I will - to let you know where I'm going. Please send me your positive energy. I need it now.

Hugs to all,

NimbleBean

Hi NimbleBean,

I too was banded in May 2007. I have lost a total of 83 pounds since then and still have another 50ish to go. the first 2 years was strictly the band working with minimal working out and low fat foods. Then i plateaued and didn't lose any weight for a while. I decided to start a workout program and in 3 months lost another 20 lbs, which was back in sept 2010. Got busy stopped working out and now holding steady with that total of 83 lbs. Why am i saying this to you? Because you can do it, with or with out the band...WORKOUT!!! that's the secret...no matter how much tighter the band gets, i am not going to get any smaller or healthy without the workout. Good Luck and you will make the right decision for you...we are all here to help, support and listen.

PS-how did you know the band slipped?

Lana :)

Hello to all my May 2007 Friends,

Been a long and difficult road for me. My weight loss has been abysmal; I am about the same weight as when I had the surgery. I had lost a lot of weight in the months preceding the lap band, so at least I haven't gained anything back, and I believe the band is to be credited for that. My disappointment in myself is so great that I haven't wanted to face any of you - although I knew there was support here. I have also completely avoided seeing the doc for over two years. I know! I know!

Then, this weekend, my band slipped and I am now forced to deal with my issues. I will be having a discussion with my surgeon on Thursday. Not sure if I want to try the band again, have it removed or go with bypass (my insurance won't pay for the sleeve).

I will be in touch later in the week - really I will - to let you know where I'm going. Please send me your positive energy. I need it now.

Hugs to all,

NimbleBean

NimbleBean,

Thank you for the amazing courage you have shown with this post. You have given me the inspiration to speak as well. sending all my positive thoughts and energy your way.

Much of my experience is similar. I too have not really lost any weight. I also credit the band for not gaining any back; right now I am only 6 pounds below the weight I was the day I had the surgery. I have been far too ashamed to speak on here for the last couple of years. I haven't been to the dr for about 8 -9 months. When I did go, I confessed my struggle. they unfilled the band, scolded me (and did offer a special strugglers support group which of course meets when I am at work).and I gained back all the weight (was originally 12 lbs below pre-op) with the band unfilled. they refilled gradually (more scolding) but it was months before I even lost the couple pounds below surgery weight that I am at now. There's a long story with many factors and whining involved but the bottom line rests with me - I must be the one to take the reins to get this fixed. I was just reading about band slippage the other day - to my knowledge mine hasn't slipped. How do you know if it has slipped? back in 2007 I asked my surgeon that and all he said was, " oh, you will know if it slips" whatever that means. I need to get off my duff and do something too. I've just been avoiding everything. I stopped going to the regular support meetings because all it ever was was amazing success stories and pre -op folks with questions. Oh, and by the sleeve do you mean sleeve gastrectomy? that would be my choice if I ever could get an alternative from what research I have done. My husband freaks at the thought - the reason I went with the band in the first place.

Please please stay in touch and I hope you don't mind the questions. I am so blown away by your courage to speak. And I hope you don't mind if I pray for you. ( I will pray for us!)

I literally searched this whole forum website for posts such as this one a long time ago . May 07 banders, please forgive this long post. I am sending love to you all and will be back in touch as well.