Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op March 2014

How do you know the difference between dehydrated and go to the hospital dehydrated?

Well here is a basic symptoms list, but some of these are hard to piece out since some of them are symptoms of surgery...ie weight loss.

Seek medical advice if the person experiences any of the following:

Increased or constant vomiting for more than a day

Temperature over 38C (101F) that doesn't settle with temperature-lowering measures and medication

Diarrhoea for more than two days

Unexplained weight loss

Decreased urine production

Seek urgent medical advice if these situations occur:

Temperature higher than 39C (103F) that doesn't settle with temperature-lowering measures and medication

Confusion

Lethargy

Headache

Seizures

Difficulty breathing

Chest or abdominal pains

Fainting

No urine in the last 12 hours

If you have muscle cramping, fatigued, dark orange urine, light headed or dizziness, Constipation, cotton on mouth. Are signs or symptoms of dehydration. Be careful.

Oh yes and palpitations

Mcgill75,

Do you mean post op? If so what are you feeling, nausea, a stuck lump in your chest? I did the same and had to vomit back up. It may take more time to pass I'd you can't bring up with your finger friends. Its a hard lesson I had to face that I wasn't ready. Scared to try again. Hope you feel better soon.

Yes post operative. It has almost passed. Some one told me the coke can trick. I skipped a little coke out of a can and that brought it right up. Not making that mistake again. Sticking to the rules and time frames

I am 7 days post op and am having a lot of gas discomfort. Also struggling with the liquid diet. I used to like Protein Drinks not sure if my taste buds have changed but now they make me extremely nauseous. I've tried a few different powder Proteins. Any suggestions. I'm living off yogurt and getting sick of that too!!

Had a post op appointment today got some great news cw 293 an sw was 307 hw 324 down 14 pounds since surgery which was on March 24 also was told to stop taking insulin an my metformin was 2000mg an now it's 1000mg was also told to stop taking bloop pressure medicine an my cholesterol medicine was cut in half. I am so happy never felt better. Hope everyone else is also doing good

Surgery was on the 26th. SOOOO tired, but feeling pretty good. I get what feels like a hitch everyonce in a while in my upper right quadrant!

How's everyone doing on getting all those fluids down? I'm struggling a little bit getting all my Water down. Plus I'm to drink 1 cup skim milk 3x a day.

Ice chips are perfect...hopefully u gave a fridge like mine and is accessible all day long...as for milk dont forget yogurt and soups..with milk count towards your required milk ..calcium intake...speaking if i need tilo go pour me a 4 oz..all i can do and will take me 10 mins to drink it...well last night anyhow. I just moved to second week phase...milks and Protein drinks...soups

I am 7 days post op and am having a lot of gas discomfort. Also struggling with the liquid diet. I used to like Protein drinks not sure if my taste buds have changed but now they make me extremely nauseous. I've tried a few different powder Proteins. Any suggestions. I'm living off yogurt and getting sick of that too!!

I use MRM whey Protein Isolate. 24g protein and ZERO sugar. Has a slightly sweet taste but not as sickeningly sweet as some I've tried. It comes in different flavors. Not sure about unflavored. Also, I've been blending up cream Soups with Water and sipping those. Gas might be from too much dairy?

I had my bypass on March 26th, 2014 so I am only three days out. I feel pretty good but still get very tired and can make it awake for only a couple of hours at a time. I have noticed today that I have been a little bit hungry off and on. I just can't get the Protein Shakes down. Anyone else out there experiencing any of this?

You should wait til week two to start shajes honey....continue ice chips water...jello gatorade until 8th day post op then shakes yogurt..milk 2nd week...its a very slow intro to foods

I'm one week post op and still feel like I have a constant aching pain in my upper abdomen and upper back, finding it hard to get comfortable. Anyone else experience this?

Yup..im 8 days post op...guess they really filled us with air to do the surgery...lol...i finally have calves and ankles...well pretty much..im sure theres still some swelling...my lower bib is still taught and uncomfortable...ugh im thinking a few more days??? A week more at tops...cant wait to weigh myself...but waiting to get rid of this excess bf weighing ....

Well on a good note my wedding rings are falling off my finger hahaha :) feels good to be a loser :)

Cool...well not...but im excited for you!! Congrats!! How much have you lost...when was your surgery??

On our way for our one week follow up. Im excited and hopefully get to expand the food range. Every cream can Soup makes me gag. Im only able to keep down to Protein Shakes and greek yogurt.

Try the deli in super market...i just bought some fresh stuff at sobeys...but vitamixed it more as it was creamy broccoli and cheddar..i also bought mushroom soup mix in pkgs may have to add more milk as sodiom highish 36% di. But i can only have about 3 tbsp at a time anyways...i have a vitsmixer and can make my own soups..mi premade a whole bunch preop and froze them in ice cube trays... i just want variety now..lol..have you tried making your own Protein smoothies ??

Hi all. Day 8. Am feeling pretty good. Will feel so much better when my hubby doesn't have to pack my wound. I weighed 214 day of surgery (march 24th). I came home on the 26th weighing 224. Tonight I weighed in at 205.

I have a barium swallow xray and blood test tomorrow (well I guess today) and then a nutrition class. I am hoping to move from clear to full liquids.< /p>

Today was a nice day here in the midwest...finally! Was good to open the house up and go for a walk outside.

How are the other March 24thers doing?

Hi!! Im day 8 rny postop. My swelling..gases still around...i have NOT weighed myself yet..lol...i lost 15 lbs preop...so was 245 lbs at surgery..im sure i gained 20 or 30 lbs with the saline and gases used for surgery...lol...i couldnt believe how heavy i was....i almost have my ankles and calves back to "normal"...but stomach lower is til taught and blahhh.... congrats on your weight loss..