Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, I did it and it's over! I have to say I'm not feeling as pain free as many have posted they were, but we are all different. I'm home now and doing my best to be comfortable in the recliner. If I take pain medicine it's not an issue- I get relaxed and go to sleep. But, I am trying to take it only when I just have to. I'm extremely worried about getting all my liquids in. It's so much the doctor expects and I desperately want to prevent dehydration but I can only sip like a baby bird right now because it hurts me to drink more than that at a time. It seems impossible but I guess it is not. To be completely honest, this is the most painful thing I've ever experienced and I had read so much that I had it built up in my mind to be not so bad. Please tell me that tomorrow will be a little better. My tiny tummy (I saw it on the screen while they did leak test) is growling and gurgling and having spasms and I'm just trying to learn its cues. And I've walked a ton.

HW=237, SW=217

Sorry to hear your in pain. I'm getting sleeved on Friday. Others recommended a heating pad for soreness. You probably should create a time schedule or alarm to assure you get your liquids in.

It can only get better from here??

I'm not sure if that is helpful but it's the best reframe I can think of. I received my date yesterday (April 15) and I'm totally freaked out lol (after waiting 5 months I thought I was prepared)

One day at a time, one second at a time?

How long did you stay in hospital?

How gross was the drink for the leak test??

I was one of those that experienced pain and yes it will get better. As others said take your pain medicine and use a hot water bottle. It will get better everyday. Congratulations on your sleeve.

Thank you all for your replies. I stayed one night in hospital. I don't really have a very clear memory yet of each detail but I'm sure as I continue to rid myself of anesthesia I will remember more. I'm going to get to take a shower today and that always makes you feel a little better. I'm trying to go easy on the pain meds but it's the only time I get relief and can rest. I'm most concerned about fluids because all my tummy will let in is a few little sips (I feel like I'm drinking like a kitten). Any more than that and it starts gurgling and spasming and is very uncomfortable. I'm just trying to get used to how it all works. I've begun to pass gas which will surely help. I'm just pacing through the house hoping this horrendous pocket of gas in my left back will break loose and come out. I know it will all be fine in time but it's just one of those things you don't know how it's going to feel until you're there. Do I regret it? No, because I chose to do it. Do I wish it would hurry up and quit being painful? YES!

I have no advice, as I'm still waiting for this life changing event. Just wanted to say that I wish you well and that every day gets easier for you.

I was sleeved on 1/14, down 46 pounds and I feel great. The beginning was very hard, but it does get better. Take tiny sips and stop when you feel full. You will be able to get more in each day. I am up to about 45-48 oz of liquid a day and my doctor said that's great. Use a heating pad, it works! Good luck! You'll do fine!

Thank you all for your replies. I stayed one night in hospital. I don't really have a very clear memory yet of each detail but I'm sure as I continue to rid myself of anesthesia I will remember more. I'm going to get to take a shower today and that always makes you feel a little better. I'm trying to go easy on the pain meds but it's the only time I get relief and can rest. I'm most concerned about fluids because all my tummy will let in is a few little sips (I feel like I'm drinking like a kitten). Any more than that and it starts gurgling and spasming and is very uncomfortable. I'm just trying to get used to how it all works. I've begun to pass gas which will surely help. I'm just pacing through the house hoping this horrendous pocket of gas in my left back will break loose and come out. I know it will all be fine in time but it's just one of those things you don't know how it's going to feel until you're there. Do I regret it? No, because I chose to do it. Do I wish it would hurry up and quit being painful? YES!

Do you have gasx strips? They saved my life in the first four days. The majority of my pain seemed like gas. I can also relate to the gurgling spasm thing. I told my hubby it was like trying to communicate with an alien inside me who is now calling the shots! Hang in there in gets a little better everyday.

It can only get better from here??<br> I'm not sure if that is helpful but it's the best reframe I can think of. I received my date yesterday (April 15) and I'm totally freaked out lol (after waiting 5 months I thought I was prepared)<br><br> One day at a time, one second at a time?<br><br> How long did you stay in hospital?<br> How gross was the drink for the leak test??

I forgot to answer your question about the leak test. It was fine. My hospital used omnipaque- normally what I was accustomed to using on my patients that had IVPs for their kidneys (I am an X-ray tech but I've been teaching for 11 years). It mostly tasted just like sugar free medicine with a bit of after taste. I was just happy to be getting it done. My dr has quit doing the test routinely but since I was experiencing some pain upon swallowing, he did it to be sure there wasn't a leak- thankfully, there wasn't.

Each day will be a little better than the last, if even by a little. Day 6 was the day I woke up and felt like a whole different person: minimal pain and a clearer head. Give your body the time it needs to heal and be sure to take pain meds when you need them, as being in pain slows down healing. Everyone's recoveries are different so there's no use in comparing yours to others. Hang in there!

I am 3 weeks post op, and it definitely gets better! The first couple days are hard, but it is good that you are walking, that will help with the gas for sure! Also, this may sound stupid, but if you feel like you have to fart, DO IT! It feels so much better after! Lol! Hang in there!

If you able to lay down on your left side it will help you release gases.

If you able to lay down on your left side it will help you release gases.

I am still sleeping in a recliner but I do notice I'm more comfortable on my left side. I just poke pillows all around my sides and put a heating pad behind me. How much Water did everyone manage their first few days? Dr. wants me drinking 90 oz! There's no way! I'm struggling to get the 24 oz in that I have so far. I'm peeing good but my tummy just won't tolerate more than an ounce or 2 without hurting.

Hi I'm 8 days post op from southeastern MA I've had a gas free experience and I stayed two and 1/2 days in hospital. I too used pain meds when needed 2 days after returning home and used the heating pad.....best thing eva..... My doctor DID NOT do a leak test....I have heard about them on this site and after surgery I asked him how it looked and he said he thought they were "too invasive" after a traumatic procedure....so I've been praying since I don't spring a leak....Geesh