Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you NOT weigh yourself daily?

So I was sleeved on 11/25 (3.5 months ago). My starting weight was 262. Day of Surgery I was 253. Today I am 212 and am just a little disappointed with my rate of weight loss. I have weighed myself daily since surgery and the scale has been more frustrating than anything. I think I would be happier if I weighed weekly, but every morning, I get excited to see what the scale says ( even more so if I've had a BM) but that excitement is soon replaced by disappointment. Also I am eating around 800 calories per day and doing Zumba 3-4x/ week plus some weights an ab work and I'm a nurse on a large unit so I walk quite a bit at work. I wear a fitbit so I know that I am in a 1200-1500/day calorie deficit and I get my Protein and Water in (for the most part). I am 32 and 5' 2 and have about 75-80 more lbs to go. Anyone have any ideas regarding how to stay off of the scale or anything else would be welcome.

Not sure what I advice I can offer with the scale....I have the same problem. It does sound like you may need to up your caloric intake some looking at what your burning every day. You might see the numbers move more. What does your NUT say about your daily calorie goals?

Get rid of the scale and only weigh at Dr. Apts. I NEVER weigh at home. I won't know until tomorrow what my post op weight is at my 9 day follow up apt.

Good luck, but my advise is just get rid of it. You will feel the weight loss.

I do the same thing, I get up every morning and weigh myself, just hoping the weight will fall off on its own. My advice,I'm gonna start doing this, put your scale away and weigh yourself once a week. Out of sight, out of mind.

I never bought a scale for home use. Pre-op, I didn't really want to know and would only weigh at the gym. Now I only weigh once a week or less at my bariatric center. I know myself too well, and I would obsess over the scale if I had one at home. Between weigh-ins, I judge how I am doing on My Fitness Pal and how my clothes are fitting.( I am down a size and think I'll be in size 12's very soon!) :)

I tried weighing myself weekly, and it didn't even last one week. lol. I'm a scale addict. I own it. You just have to make sure that you don't let it affect you. I try my hardest not to get discouraged if I don't see a loss that particular day. Sometimes I try and go back through my day and see what might have caused that, or sometimes, I just shake it off and move on. :-)

<p>Not sure what I advice I can offer with the scale....I have the same problem. It does sound like you may need to up your caloric intake some looking at what your burning every day. You might see the numbers move more. What does your NUT say about your daily calorie goals?</p>

My Nut is okay with my calorie intake, but she did say that I am eating too many times per day. I usually eat 3 meals and two Snacks and she wants me to eat 3 meals only, no Snacks. But I don't understand why that's necessary if I'm within my calorie goal. I have very long days and eating something every 3-4 hours keeps me satisfied. My PA upped my Prilosec to see if that will help me with the hunger feelings and in the mean time I'll try to cut back to one snack. She's also not too fond of the Quest bars, but I love them and they help me keep my sugar cravings under control and meet my Protein goals.

As has been mentioned, get rid of the scale. Are you married or have a significant other? Ask them to hide the scale.< /p>

I resolved to weigh once a month after reading a post when I was about a month post op. The OP was about 2 months post op lamenting the fact that her afternoon weight was 0.3 pounds heavier than her morning weight. In all capital letters she shouted, "WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?! I KNEW I WOULD FAIL AT THIS!!"

I realized that I, too, could become obsessive about what the scale said and I didn't want to be that discouraged by it's readings. As I often post, I have to remember that the scale only measures weight, not fat, and fat is what I was looking to lose. My brain told me that if I followed the guidelines as closely as I could, I would lose fat. I decided then and there to only weigh once a month. Doing this, I always saw numbers go down which helped me stay focused and motivated. I was able to make it to goal and have been maintaining for the past two years, now.

The scale is evil and can only serve to discourage if you weigh every day. There is no way possible it can meet your expectations, so don't give it the power to being with.

I have had hubby keep the scale in his car. It comes out once a week and will tomorrow for my first one week weigh in post op

I'm a bit obsessive and weighing myself every day would just feed into that. I don't feel that's healthy for me.

Also, I see that you've lost 50 pounds in 3.5 months, that's about 15/16 pounds a month. That's not bad at all. That's fabulous I think

I’m another person who doesn’t have a scale and only gets my weight checked at the doctors or hospital.
I read how obsessive people were with daily or even multiple daily weight checks and I did not want to be one of them people so I never got one.
its never bothered me to know weekly and every time I get checked I am always down so never had disappointment or unhappy stressed out feelings about any of this.

I lose about a pound/week, so that helps me stay off. I know that, day-to-day, there most likely won't be a change. Don't get me wrong, I rarely skip more than one day, so when i stay off the scale, it's not for long! I record my weight every Monday, so I can see the numbers going down that way.

Hi, my name is Ellen, and I'm addicted to weighing myself. (Crowd roars, HI ELLEN!) I'm an addict too. I've given people advice but haven't taken it myself. So, I'm going to right now. Promise you'll do it with me. Put your scale in your trunk. We will only weigh every Tuesday morning. Will you promise me? I'll promise you and I'll stick to it! :)

<p>Hi, my name is Ellen, and I'm addicted to weighing myself. (Crowd roars, HI ELLEN!) I'm an addict too. I've given people advice but haven't taken it myself. So, I'm going to right now. Promise you'll do it with me. Put your scale in your trunk. We will only weigh every Tuesday morning. Will you promise me? I'll promise you and I'll stick to it! :)</p>

Ellen, you're asking the unthinkable, but I'll give it a try. I think I'll ask the hubby to put it in his trunk and only weigh on Tuesday Mornings. I need some accountability, how can we check bak in on Tuesdays?

I'm so happy that there are enough people on here that don't weigh daily to give you advice. Unfortunately I am not one of them. When I was heavier I rarely weighed which made it easier for me to deny the pounds as they slowly crept on. Daily weighing holds me accountable. when i'm tempted to buy a butterfinger Peanut Butter cup and gobble it down I remind myself i'll be weighing in the next day and it helps me.

Last Friday through Sunday I didn't cook for myself at all and only ate fast food and at restaurants. It was only 3 days, but by Sunday night my weight had crept up from 187lbs to 189.8. (190 in the evenings) If I hadn't weighed I probably would've took some leftover chinese food for lunch Monday and stopped at starbucks for a skinny lattee. But seeing how eating out effected my weight, I opted to take in some homemade chili I had frozen, fruit and Water. for lunch today I had salmon and veggies.