Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marchies In April

Pam Banded,

You crack me up!!

I found out where I am loseing the weight, in my hands and wrist. I have old lady hands and my watch spins around my wrist. Is this a NSV?

Yeah I figured everybody's watch spins and the old lady hands thing, I thought was just me do I "never" mentioned THAT part. I try and just use alot of lotion, and hide my hands from somebody that would notice!

LoriPA,

That's absolutelty beautiful. I am so happy to learn that everyone is in good spirits and doing well (even with some of the few obstacles).

I, for one, absolutely REFUSE to buy a scale. I wait until I go in for my appts. I had an appt with my family doctor and told him not to tell me how much I weighed. He thought it was funny and I told him that I was dead serious. I did not want to feel discouraged or TOO encouraged (I need to keep my sanity). I just want to take it day by day. My first fill is scheduled for the end of the month.

I advance to mushies tomorrow. Can't wait. Right now I only drink Atkins shakes. I can only tolerate those for the mean time. The doc gave me Matrix, but I COULD NOT tolerate it at all. Does anyone have any suggestions?? Atkins has 15g Protein. I'm shooting for something with about 20-25g.

Slim-Fast has a low-carb shake, with 20 grams of protein. Sam's has it in the 15 pack. Good luck! I have my surgery on April 11!:)

So now I am finally on solid foods and beginning to figure out what works and what does not. Let me tell you, yesterday I had a real problem with MAtzah, my first PB and not fun at all.

But in the last few day my appetite has increased and I have gained back two punds...this is very discouraging. Should i call the Dr and try to get a fill earlier than 6 weeks?

I will be glad to go to the mushies I hope they let me go to it early. It is easy to find full liquids out and about that are sweet (smoothies, coffee drinks, juice etc) but I haven't discovered anything to have during the liquid stage that is portable and satisfies the salt craving. Any luck anyone? At least when you reach the mushies you can order some Soups or mashed potatoes!

My doctor allows cream of chicken Soup in the full liquids stage, of course watered down with milk. Maybe that will help your salt craving.

Keep it up babes!

Weigh-in at the hospital last night and I am down another 2 pounds. Weight loss is slowing down now since I've moved on to soft foods, but I am still happy with the loss because I have absolutely NO restriction. I've been working out like crazy and measuring my food trying to keep the weight off. 5 more days 'til my first fill. I refuse to gain any weight back...I'm OK with maintaining, but I definitely don't want to gain. Congratulations Sophie and everyone else on your weight loss victories and non scale victories! :)

matzah is constipating. I want matzah bry ooooooh

So now I am finally on solid foods and beginning to figure out what works and what does not. Let me tell you, yesterday I had a real problem with MAtzah, my first PB and not fun at all.

But in the last few day my appetite has increased and I have gained back two punds...this is very discouraging. Should i call the Dr and try to get a fill earlier than 6 weeks?

My sugery was Friday and they said I could drive right away. I wasnt ready yet. I have been taking walks everyday. but today I needed out!!!! I went to get a hair cut. I got a pedicure and tips put on and my eye brows done. Feels soooooooo good!

Janine: Ketosis is when your body starts burning fat for fuel INSTEAD of Carbs/Sugar....... (It is a joyous place to be even though the breath that comes with it is BAD! LOL)

Thanks for answering Tracey - I'm in such a different time zone that I easily miss posts. Once you are in this mode Janine, your appetite really does decrease & that is what Optifast puts you in.

Well, day 8 post op for me & every day is certainly getting that bit easier. The port site is still very tender as is sitting upright for any length of time, but I'm basically back into regular routine.

Had my first NSV today too! Jeans seem to be the flavour of the moment, & when I got out of the car today with my 14 year old daughter, she exclaimed "Mum!!! Your jeans are so baggy!"

Love it!!!! I've nearly worn through the knees too, so am hoping to drop a size before I have to get new ones. Mind you, I probably have some now pretty out of date ones in the next size down in my wardrobe somewhere:rolleyes

Now my turn for questions: I mentioned n my last post that I found out at my post-op appt that I already have 3cc in my band - is this something unique to New Zealand, or have others surgeons done this too?

Also, I'm very tight in the chest of a morning (think this is also exasperbated by sleeping on my back all night) - it takes a few hours for me to feel normal - is this the case for everyone?

Have a great day Marchies!

Cate

hi everyone,

i just wanted to check in. i am 6 days post-op and i am doing really fine.

i am on mushie food. in the beginning of the week i wasnt eating enough and was very shaky.

my Drs. nurse called to check in and put me on the right path.

i am feeling really lucky that i did this so quickly (altho' i have investigated on and off since 2002.) i went to the seminar last wednesday and was operated on friday (no preop diet, post op only 2 days on liquids)

otherwise if i think too much.....not a good idea.

also i think if i was on liquids longer i wouldnt feel as well as i do

(note: this is just my drs directive....not for everyone)

i did too much yesterday. walked 1 hour and felt shaky half of the day.

but the people i see on this website that seem to have most success are the ones that are trying to follow the plan from walking/exercising to food plan, drinking Water, etc.

this thread does have some of the most positive "banders" :clap2: i'm glad i made march

i have 2 issues to work on:

1. weighing myself. the scale becomes a GOD to me if i do this too much. so today i am trying not to weigh myself.

2. not paying attention when i eat :hungry: (either watch tv, talk on phone, etc). besides eating too big of a bite and food not feeling great going down....

i need to realize what i'm eating.

a very long time ago i was in rehab for eating disorder and a BIG suggestion they had was to be totally present to your meal. enjoying the taste, recognizing what you were eating.

half the time i never realize what i was eating...

anyway hope everyone has a great day

thks

Afrykanvyolet

i use EAS 100% whey Protein Shake blended with water+ice

stats

120 cals

23 gms Protein

3 gms carbs

2 gms fat

i like chocolate and vanilla.< /p>

Right now this stupid stomach bug is really getting old. Its also getting better though, but it sure could go ahead and get better faster. The other day my fever was higher, but still it wasn't a high fever. Oddly enough, that was good to see. Having my fever go up confirmed for me that yes, I am sick and that there is a problem with my stomach and not my band. So now that I know my band is all good for sure I can relax about that. I think it might have gone down as I slept through Wendesday (was really late getting to bed on Tuesday night) and I'm not sure where I put that thermometer...

I'd love to be able to have some saltines. But I'm still on mushies. I wonder what the mushie equivalent of crackers is? Maybe some potato? I could just stick to liquids but sometimes I think a bit of a bland solid can help settle a tummy. I dunno... I just want to eat something and not feel worse after I eat :) I don't feel like I will throw up so that isn't really a concern, but nausea, dizziness, gas all are.

Kyethra

You poor thing, this bug seems to be holding on. But I know what you mean about bland food when you are sick. When I get sick, I want toast (with my homemade strawberry jam) and lots and lots of tea.

I have my post op check at 1:45 today. Hope to get bumped up to mushies. When I go in I need to talk to the dr about SOD (Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction). I still have my gallbladder and it has been tested every which way from Sunday and other then working in reverse sometimes, it is ok. BUT, every so often I get this pain in my gallbladder area that will go up to the curve in my neck on the right side. It has me hunched over for hours. The only thing that helps is to get in a HOT, HOT shower. I am talking when you get out you are lobster red. But the relief only lasts as long as I am in the shower. I had an attack last night and it was killer. So the only thing I had last night was a hot cup of mint green tea. There is a test that but it can cause pancreatitis (just one of the problems). So I am just hoping that maybe there is something I can take to ward off the attack when I feel it start.

Wish me luck.

Hi Marchies! What a GLORIOUS day today is! I had my post-op follow up appt at 8:45 this morning. The doc took care of that stitch I had poking out and told me to do soft foods for 2 weeks, then regular food for 2 weeks and then see him again. So my next appt is May 17th.

But the most happiest, amazing, wonderful thing happened when I got on the scale... (go figure, LOL). Since March 19th I have lost 38 pounds!!!! I would be concerned that it was dehydration or something, but I ration everything out the night before so I don't have to think about it with work and everything going on. I get 64oz Water, about 850-900 calories and 65 grams of Protein. :)

Doc said exercise was ok, so I just signed up at the new Planet Fitness that opened up here in Morris Plains, NJ. You should check them out in your area. They seem great and for $19.99 a month you can bring a friend with you to workout for free, you get unlimited tanning, half off cooler drinks, and many other perks. I have a session with the personal trainer today to develop a program for me, a session tomorrow morning for upper body and a session tomorrow afternoon for the cardio equipment. All these sessions are free!! I'm really looking forward to the cardio session because they have treadmills and elliptical trainers and I've never used either. If anyone is in the area and wants to workout there, you can always come as my guest.

I think the best part, aside from the weight loss, is SOFT FOOOOODS! OMG supermarket here I come...salmon and tuna and an egg for easter! Who would have thought an egg could be so exciting. LOL

Virginia

Tracy, I bet some of your surgeon's patients are not too happy about that (not you of course;))! It's probably for the best! I think the pre-op diet really prepares your body for what's to come after surgery!

Magnolia, It wouldn't hurt to ask...all they can do is say no!

SGDodge, sounds like you had a fun day! I think I am going to have a pampering day tomorrow!

cate, Congratulations on your NSV! I also have some smaller sized out-of-date jeans in my closet...I guess that means I can go shopping! Also, I don't think it's very common, but I have heard of a few people who had Fluid put in their band at surgery. If I recall correctly, they were banded in Mexico.

Josie, I am glad you are doing well! I also have a problem not paying attention to what I am eating. I have a habit of eating when I am sitting at this darn computer! :biggrin1:

Kyethra, I hope you are feeling better soon!

Mrs. Husker, I know exactly how that feels. I had my gallbladder removed some years ago and it can be very painful. Have you thought about having it removed? I have read that alot of lapband patients eventually have to have it removed.

Have a Great Day Everyone!