Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marchies In April

You know, it's the funniest thing. Before I was banded, my whole attitude was different. I'd throw on the first thing I'd see when I'd open the closet door every morning (unless I was going somewhere remotely important), not even bother with makeup (unless again, I was going somewhere important), maybe shave my legs twice a week if I was lucky, not even plan a meal, but grab whatever I saw when I was hungry or just order out, and when I shopped for food, dumped whatever was on sale or whatever looked good into the cart (though I was already starting on Vitamins and had already cut out red meat--go figure).

Since getting banded, though, it's a whole different story. I'm finding myself coordinating and laying out clothes the night before even if I am not planning on being anywhere the next day, putting on a little makeup (except when I have to clean, obviously) and shave on a daily basis, just for the heck of it if nothing else, reading labels when I shop for food ("energy bars" have anywhere from 13 to 18 grams of sugar! Forget those! Now I know where the so called energy comes from *snort*) and actually planning a meal now that I've reached the soft stage, and yes, even finding more fun and creative ways to exercise. It's amazing how one little thing banded around the stomach can change one's whole mind, isn't it?

What was even better was being told yesterday by a total stranger was "My, how pretty you look today!" But the best is going to be my overall health and feeling good about myself as a whole--and living longer!

Medge - I was also banded on the 30th. I sure do wish someone would've told me about the coughing up stuff. That hurts on my port. My port is the only place I have pain and when i cough it feels like I am ripping something in there. Also have you started feelling hungry yet? I did last night (3 days popst-op) for the first time and it wasn't fun. I was ready to do something drastic like drink milk. LOL drinking milk should not be "drastic" I managed to take the edge off with some broth. What is your post op diet like. I am 1 week Clear Liquids next week full liquids, next week purees, 4th week soft foods, 5th week soft moist solids.

Ok, I've survived the first few days now and things are finally looking up. I was banded on th 30th and was seriously regretting that decision that night and the 31st...BUT, I finally stopped hurting when I stopped taking the Lortab(vicodine). Mom said she thinks I might be allergic since when she takes it it makes her entire insides hurts. When I switched to just taking that Tylenol, things got much better for me. I actually slept most of the night last night. I've been doing Liptons Diet Green Tea berry flavor and Jello cups. I had my first whey Protein shake this morning and am looking forward to moving into other foods. I was hurting a little this morning and realized it was hunger pains. It was weird not being able to immediately recognize I was hungry. I'm still dealing with coughing up crap that was in my chest, coughing is no fun, but I guess it's something that can't be avoided...have to get the gunk out.

Anyhow, thanks for the support when I was whining a few days ago and I'll be in touch.

Can anyone tell me what "full" will feel like now? Is it different than before? Last night i thought i might have felt full but it kind of felt like I needed to burp real big and it wouldn't come out I didn't want to push anything so i just took a gasx strip. I'm not sure if it was gas or was i full?

Yeah, I've finally started feeling hungry and find that popcicles are great for that...as well as Protein Drinks. I'm suppose to be on liquids first 2 weeks and then move to mushies but I'm not going to make it...I can already tell. I'll probably stay on liquids rest of this week and then move to mushies this weekend and for next week. That's my personal plan at least...lol...shhh, don't tell my doctor. I've just really decided with all the different rules everyone has that alot of them are more like guidelines and if you are in tune with your body and listen to it, and be smart about your decisions, should be okay. If I have a mushy meal and it doesn't feel right I'll go back to liquids for another week. Anyways, that's just my personal opinion and I don't recommend it to anyone else, it's just what I am doing.

I couldn't get out to walk today at lunch because it is too cold. So I walked inside. I work at an aquarium and I can walk around the tanks. I did the math and with a three foot stride, averaging 80 stides per lap, doing 13 laps, that is 1 lap more than 1/2 a mile. I love where I work and when I get to walk outside, I see wild deer & turkey. We have both wild and tame ducks and geese in our ponds. I LOVE MY JOB!!! On day I will have to post some photos I got this winter. It's just bueatiful.

I am glad to see that everyone is doing better and getting on, getting on.

If you are having a problem with hunger, try calling you dr office. I did at 9 days post op and they let me go onto full liquids early. It is worth a shot. Just remember that you are still healing and everyone heals at a different rate. If my dr office would have said not to advance, I wouldn't have. Granted I would have been miserable (sp), but I didn't put myself through all this just to sabotage myself. (Off my soap box now) Good luck.

Talking about full liquids, today for lunch I tried one of the recipes, Taco Soup, that I found under the liquid food stage thread. Delish. When I made it last night my DH tried it both before and after I put it in the bullet. He liked them both but thought the flavor really came out when blended. It calls for corn chips, I could have went without, but, I put Frito's in my bullet and sprinkled them on top. Anyone else have any other recipes to share? I love trying anything new. If I find any, I plan on posting them under the liquid stage recipe thread.

I love that title...Thanks Demmemoon!

March 2007 Bandsters! We have finally been banded!!!:)

We thought we'd never have this surgery behind us and here we are at the start of April and some of us are already at or close to the 1 month mark. Now, we are moving on to fills, real food, exercise, and watching those pounds melt away! I am looking forward to hearing about everyone's experiences. Keep posting!

I had my surgery on March 20th and have since lost 15lbs and feel great. I have to say I'm very glad it's past especially those gas pains which were right smack in the center of my chest - felt like I was having a heart attack. I have to move my butt and start exercising, that's the one thing I hate doing but know that it's a must. My only problem that I'm still facing is loose bowels, yuck! Doc says that will change once I start eating more substantial meals. I am now in the mushie stage and tonight I'm having talapia, yahoo.....can't wait to eat some fish. I'm eating enough Protein but need to drink more Water.

Surgery date: 3/20/07

Beginning Wt: 307

Current Wt: 292

Goal: 160

Dr: Dr. Nusbaum/Livingston

I had my surgery on March 20th and have since lost 15lbs and feel great. I have to say I'm very glad it's past especially those gas pains which were right smack in the center of my chest - felt like I was having a heart attack. I have to move my butt and start exercising, that's the one thing I hate doing but know that it's a must. My only problem that I'm still facing is loose bowels, yuck! Doc says that will change once I start eating more substantial meals. I am now in the mushie stage and tonight I'm having talapia, yahoo.....can't wait to eat some fish. I'm eating enough Protein but need to drink more Water.

Congrats! You are doing great. I had my surgery a day before you and have only lost 10 lbs. Haven't started exercising yet (Monday is THE day!). Still have loose bowels as well and am in the mushie stage but my dr. doesn't include fish--that sounds SO good! The only thing I was able to add when I went from the full liquid stage to mushies was eggs and cottage cheese. Argh. I'm with you on the Protein and water--it's hard to remember everything! We are learning, huh? Baby steps!

Glad to hear that the March bandsters are doing well!

My port was placed on my right side between ribs and waist line. (I'm 4'11" and there isn't much room) I have a problem bending all the way over to tie my right shoe. No pain but I can definately feel my port, like I'm squishing it into my gut.

I've lost 12 lbs since surgery, but I've stayed the same for almost 2 weeks. How can that be possible? I'm barely eating 600 calories a day.

I know the whole thing should be healing not losing weight, but my gosh, on any normal day pre-band, I'd eat 2 bowls of Cereal for bkfst, coffee with Creamer, 2 double cheeseburgers and a bag of white chedder popcorn for lunch and eat while I was cooking dinner.

It's kinda frustrating.

I haven't started back up my exercise routine yet.

Maybe that's my problem.

The problem you are having is not uncommon. Because you have so drastically reduced your calorie intake, your body has gone into a sort of self-preservation mode and is trying to store as much energy as possible to prevent what it thinks is starvation. This causes it to slow down your metabolism rate and as a result you see little or slower weight loss. It also can cause you to feel as though you have no energy. If you start back up your exercise routine, you will get the metabolism going and start seeing the weight loss again. One article that I was given by my doctor suggests that you need to do a daily uninterrupted 2-mile walk to keep the metabolism going. I am taking that to heart and carving out time to do so at least 5 days a week. Don't get discouraged. The weight will come off, and exercise will definitely help kick start it.

WHOOWEEEah_shock.gif WHAT an afternoon. I have been sipping on stuff at work like veggie juice and coffee. I left to go pick up hubby for his nose appointment and grabbed a Naked Protein juice drink out of the fridge. It's about a 14 oz bottle and has almost 40 grms of protein in it. I started sip/drinking it and about 20 minutes later probably had about 2 ounces of it left, then OH MY GOD... weirdness. I don't even know if I can begin to describe it, but obviously I drank to much of it. It didn't occur to me that I should go over 8 or 9 ounces because, well, it's liquid.. it will run right through right? Well I guess not. I was V. uncomfy for about an HOUR. slight nausea but not overwhealming, felt like I had gas and trapped air, slightly sweaty, sitting down was not comfy AT ALL so I was standing/pacing and bending. we finally got home and I stripped down went upstairs, go a cold wash rag turned the fan on high and laid down on a slight incline until it passed. wow.

Moral of the story... even when drinking... drink/sip SMALL amounts and not in a hurry... it sneaks up on you. I'm supposed to start eating tomorrow and now I'm slightly paranoid about it but I'm sure I'll be fine. Tell you what.. I'd rather over do it and learn on liquid than actual food.< img src="http://www.caloriesperhour.com/forums/images/emoticons/aj_confused.gif" alt="aj_confused.gif" /> I'm still pretty gassy feeling but after the worst was over I went outside and walked for about 10 minutes and that made me feel better as well. I can tell right now, this band/tool will most def be a success. NICE.

A great NSV (non scale vicotry)

I was feeling my stomach today (and I have always stayed away from my belly button because it is soooooo sensitive~girls you know what I mean) and my belly button is not so deep~wierd the things we notice huh! I had a HUGE inny and now it is not such a huge deep inny. :D (the things we share) ha ha

I'm so happy! This morning my weight finally started with the number "one"! It's been a long time....

As an added bonus, I actually get to start eating real food tomorrow (as long as it's soft and moist). No more baby food!! Not sure I know how to chew anymore as I'm so used to sipping/slurping and swallowing. I'll really need to concentrate on chewing well to avoid any mishaps. I think I'll be using lots of salsa, and maybe broth to moisten things. Does anyone have other suggestions on low fat/cal sauces?

Today I had tuna salad for lunch and it was the first food I've had to chew. I put egg, finely chopped pickle, and fat free mayo and enjoyed every bit of it. I have to say I really haven't been hungry like I thought I would but I can't say I've ever felt full either. I've been able to pass up some really good temptations which has surprised me. Will this not feeling full continue until I get a fill? Perhaps this thread isn't the one I should be asking that on since we're all fairly new at this game.

ohhhhhhhhhh you are so lucky LLSibley. Aside from craving bologna and hot dogs, my new craving is for pickles...I even bought some at the store and can't wait to dig in. Anyone else having odd cravings?? LOL

Virginia

Banded on the 28th, about 1 week out now, feeling OK except for port pain.

I'm VERY hungry, gassy and constipated.

I'm supposed to do 3 more weeks of clear liquids! Argghghh.

I'm going to lose 100 pounds just from the stupid liquid diet- If I wanted to do that I wouldn't have had the surgery! *grumpy*

*sigh*