Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you balance your social life?

I had my surgery 6 weeks ago. I am following everything the doctor has told me to do and I'm happy with my results. The only thing I don't know how to do is balance my social life after my surgery. I haven't gone out with friends because I don't know what do. They want to go out to eat and drink and I clearly can't do that. Any suggestions?

Please don't think I'm being rude, but why not? I go out a lot. I don't drink as much anymore when I go out..... Only bc I don't like "drinking my calories." I did have a margarita twice this week bc it's Mardi Gras time in New Orleans, where I live. I just made sure to exercise a little extra those two days. I do eat out quite often. I mean, I have to eat, so what's the difference if I eat at home or in a restaurant. The one thing I do differently is that I check out the menu on line before I go so that I can pre plan what I will order. Live with your surgery. Enjoy your life. That's why I had the surgery...., so I could live again!!!!

Really you can drink? I was told I can't drink for one year and I'm still only on a 1/4 cup of food so I kind of feel like it's a waste to spend money on that little of food.

I went out to lunch with a friend today and barely ate half of my meal (packed up the rest and had it for dinner)

But today I realized something....I was more interested in the company and conversation than actually eating the meal. That's NEVER happened before in my life....EVER!!!! Always had to finish my meal plus some....conversation between bites was an extra.

So I say go out and enjoy the company and make the eating part just what it is...eating a little. See where they want to go and make it work for you...it is doable.

Good luck ....let us know!

I was not told anything about alcohol..., only no carbonated drinks and no drinking right before a meal, during the meal, or after the meal. I sure am not encouraging you to go against what you were told. But as I always told my kids, so what if you're drinking lemon Water while your friends are drinking alcohol... I mean that .... So what? You won't be the first to not have a drink and you won't be the last. I have a few friends who are recovering alcoholics and they socialize all the time. When going out to eat, share a salad or an entree with a friend. Order off the appetizer menu. Order a cup of Soup. There are so many options. Get out there and enjoy your life!!!!!

My surgeon begrudgingly told me a glass of wine would be okay here and there. I drink about every other weekend. Like she said before me, you just have to consider how many calories you are pouring down the hatch.

Check with your surgeon again. He may have some reason in your health history or medications that he may not want you to mix with alcohol.

I go out with friends/family all the time. I make good choices (like fish simply grilled) and I often have one or very occasionally two glasses of wine. I eat band sized portions and either take home a doggy bag, or if we're sharing (which I love to do), I eat my fill at the restaurant and head home. You can absolutely enjoy your social life same as before. Don't let your WLS stop you.

I will,say, it has been a challenge with friends who want to have a big dinner...appetizers, dinner, dessert, drinks, etc.

It takes quite a bit to be able to sit there while they are all shoveling it in. I have certainly over eaten on some of these occasions ... And became horribly stuck mad spent an embarrassingly long time in the ladies room.

I can also tell you that the only way it's going to get easier is with practice. Considering going out to lunch first or maybe just coffee.

You'll get there.

So go out. Enjoy yourself. Have Soup and drink tea.

I had my surgery 6 weeks ago. I am following everything the doctor has told me to do and I'm happy with my results. The only thing I don't know how to do is balance my social life after my surgery. I haven't gone out with friends because I don't know what do. They want to go out to eat and drink and I clearly can't do that. Any suggestions?

I eat out at least 6 meals a week. I have no problems and order correctly. I don't drink at all though. Never any beverage with food either.

When I go out I order an appetizer for my meal. Not many people know I'm banded so in the beginning it was hard for me . I was afraid to socialize for fear of being found out Or to get stuck. But you know what no one cares what I eat or drink for the most part. My dr said I can have alcohol I just choose not to. Got banded in July 2013 have had 3 drinks In total to date . I drink Water when I go out my answer is in eating clean and no one questions it. They can see the results and once you start to see them in you th food won't matter. Never understood the term no food taste as good as being thin until gasp dare I say it in getting thin. The success will be motivating you won't care if u go out and eat a Soup or 15 course meal.

Just order the appetizers. They come in smaller portions & better then ordering a BIG meal. People snack on appetizers so this will allow you to pick & in between conversation you can enjoy yourself as well. This is what I do. I've been banded since 12/22/10 with revision of a new band on 2/11/14. 109.2 lbs gone. Loving Me some Me