Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Skinny Birthday Blog

I have my surgery on Tuesday March 4th and I am considering this my new birthdate :)

I started my process on November 13, 2013, the day after my 44th birthday. I met with my Bariatric Surgeon in hopes of a Lap-Band. He immediately told me no. That he no longer did those as he was taking out way too many of them. He suggested the Gastric Sleeve. I was a little afraid as I had never even heard of such an animal and started my research.

After several weeks of research I decided I was "in" and my journey began.

I met with a psychologist and then 4 months with a nutritionist learning the new ways that I would be eating pre and post-surgery. Your nutritionist can make or break you! If you are not required to meet with one, I HIGHLY recommend it. I got lucky! I love mine and she has been the biggest help ever! She had samples of Protein Shakes and Vitamins to taste etc.

In addition I also contacted the leading suppliers of Protein shakes and Vitamins and requested samples. Celebrate sent me Free Samples of all of their Protein shakes. In addition they also had a sample pack of all of their vitamins for $3.00 which had a $3.00 coupon attached to it to use toward my next purchase. I highly recommend this! Simply because I learned that there were some vitamins that tasted like a butt smells and some Protein drinks that were a fat girl's dream come true (i.e. the Celebrate ENS Protein shake in vanilla Cake Batter- hell yes, it tastes like you dipped a beater into the cake batter and you are licking it!!) Sorry I get a little giddy just thinking about that one.

So I started my pre-op liquid diet about 2 weeks ago-

Again let me just say your nutritionist will make or break you. This has been the easiest two weeks!!! I cannot believe that I have attended 2 different black tie galas (including one for Mardi gras), the World Championship BBQ cook off and even hanging out in bars with my friends with no inkling to cheat.

My Physician allowed me up to 5 protein shakes a day. broth and sugar free pudding or jell. I averaged 2 to 3 shakes per day. The best way I found to do these were to have a Protein Shake first thing in the morning, followed by a 16.9oz bottle of Water. Then the 8oz of water with the Celebrate Vitamins ENS in them. (My fave is the Citrus. It's just like a bottle of orange juice and easy to tolerate.

I would have my protein shake for lunch, again followed by another 16.9oz bottle of water. In the afternoon if I was feeling hungry I would have a few tablespoons of fat free pudding or 1/4 cup of chicken Broth.

I would do the same for dinner. Now at night watching TV is when I'd get my salt craving (potato chips and nuts is what I wanted) I'd turn to the broth again.

The nights I was out while my friend were drinking, I'd just get a 32oz glass of water and continue to refill it throughout the night.

So over the last 2 weeks I have lost 17 pounds. I am down 20 since I first started this adventure in November.

I've started telling select friends that I am having Weight loss surgery. Most people I have just told that I was having a hernia repaired (since I am having that done as well Heck- I didn’t even tell my parents until after I had already seen my Nutritionist a few months.

This weekend I purchased my hospital necessities and began packing my bag. I am so ready.

Included in my bag are my Gasex, Chapstick, Hand Lotion, new jammies with buttons on the front, biotene mouth spray, Colgate wisps and my favorite clean and clear facial wipes.

Well- This is a little winded, but hopefully my ramblings will shed some insight for the next person.

Your so funny! I'm going to order the Celebrate (sp?) just cause you said so...lol. I'm glad in the final phases, I'm scheduled 3/14. Keep us posted with your progress and or setbacks. Good luck!

I enjoyed reading your post. Ordered the Celebrate sample pack, and I'm looking forward to the "fat girl's dream come true" as I've yet to find a Protein Powder I can tolerate/enjoy. Good luck to you tomorrow! Hope you don't have to drink anything that smells like butt:)

Well it's now getting surreal -

My doctor called me about an hour ago and the first patient cancelled so now my surgery has been moved up to 7:30am. I am not sure if I am nervous or just cold since the temp is drastically falling again here in Texas.

Today I went and got my nails done and hidelights (You know those natural highlites that hide our sparkle (Gray) ) I figured if I cannot wear make up to the hospital that I could at least feel a little pretty :)

Now for the other stuff we dont even want to talk about, but it really needs to be addressed. I also updated all my benficiaries for my life insurance, 401K etc. I put together a little notebook with all my passwords for email, facebok, bank account and credit cards too.

I am so excited that I can barely contain myself!

Best of luck to yall and I'll try to post after surgery or Wednesday when I get home.

Tanz

Surgery Day - Day 2 after Surgery

Surgery Day

Well after waking up in recovery I was in pain. I had a pump on and started pushing the button like a kid in an elevator. Between the Pain med (Dilaudid) and the movement of my bed into my room I got horrible Motion Sickness- Dry heaves only since my stomache had been empty for at almost 16hrs at this point.

After I got to my room and my nurse got me dome Zofran (Nausea Med) via IV I visited with my folks for a bit (Mom said I sounded like I'd just left a bar at 2am after a days worth of drinking) I was out off and on for about 5minutes at a time (Seemed alot longer)

about 9:30pm I could no longer tolerate the pain meds in the pump giving em dry heaves me so I quite using it. Got up and walk abit, then my nurse gave me some more Zofran and Reglan (for the stomach spasms) I watched TV until about 1:30am and then fell asleep. Pain was mild to tolerable.

I was woke up at 3:30am for lab tests (EVIL just EVIL) I couldnt sleep so took another walk and my nurse gave me some pain med via my IV Toradol along with more reglan. Slept off an on again until 7am- when it was time for X-rays.

DAY 1 AFTER SURGERY

For some reason the X-ray techs were in a hurry with trying to get me to drink their crap (Acutally it had no taste at all) but I showed them a whole new round of drive heaves started. This was the first thing that was physically in my stomach for 32hrs now.

Got back to my room and my guardian angel disguised as a nurse gave me Reglan, Zofran and Toradol. I slept on and off until about 11am when Gatorade arrived. Surprisingly i had no problems at all sipping on this or getting it down. She also gave me Phenergan (Nausea Med) I slept like a baby until about 2:30pm adn continued to sip my gatorade for the next 6 1/2 hrs. My Dr discharged me at 8:30pm after keeping me in the hospital all day to observe and make sure there were no issues

DAY 2 After Sugery

So far so good! I've managed to walk, even to the mailbox out side and sip on Protein shakes and gatorade all day. I'm supposed to drink 60ml of Protein an hr (not always happening) and 60 to 120ml of Gatorade (again not always happening.) I've had no issues with dry heaves or nausea. I've got Tyenol #3 liquid for pain and so far there has been none. I've had this wierd buring sensation on the skin of my stomach and thats about it.

I did take 1 capsule of prevacid and FYI those little boogers inside that capsule do not dissolve in liquid, but they have no taste either, so that helped. They gave me a couple of hicups.

Until tomorrow-

Tanz

Good to hear that you're home and feeling pretty good. Wishing you smooth sailing from here on.

I'm happy ur doing well!

DAYS 3 after Surgery

Day 3-

Holy cow was I ever bloated! Now we all know that girls dont fart- our bottoms just blow kisses in our panties right? Well I would have given anything for a big one right between the cheeks! Not kidding. I walked. I laid on my sides (The best that I could) I chewed a simethacone tablet (GasEx) and nothing worked. I started to think about the last week and realized that I had yet to have a BM since Monday.....the day before my surgery, so I resulted to a nice hot cup of DoDo Tea. Okay it's not really called that. Its actually called Smoothe Move Mint Tea - found in almost all grocery stores in the herbal teas. Its tastes AWESOME and really gets things "going" Within a couple of hours the gas pains were releaved and yes come monring I had a tiny "movement" - All was well in my world

DAYS 4 and 5 After Surgery

DAY4

I am feeling amazing! The only pain that I have is that of the day after a really solid AB workout in the gym. Today I was going stir crazy so took out shopping with my mom. Walked Hobby Lobby, Michaels and Gardenridge. I needed to walk and this was perfect!

I am defiantly not getting all of my Protein drinks in. I am averaging almost 1 a day and therefore only about 20-25gms of Protein. (My Dr wants me to get in at least 48oz of liquid – That includes 45 to 60gams of liquid protein) I’ve also added Soups (minus the veggies and cottage cheese) Right now I am barely getting in 6 to 8oz of protein. I’ve had no problem with hunger. My tummy is still a little sore when it comes to sneezing, coughing and hiccups. I sleep with a heating pad and that seems to help with the tiny bits of pain when I get up out of bed.

DAY5

Well its Spring Break and my brother’s family is here and of course they want to go to our favorite Mexican food place for dinner. At first I was just going to stay home but then decided to go. It was easier than I thought. First of all I LOVE their iced tea. So I ordered a kids size (knowing it would come in a togo glass too) I also went with their chicken tortilla Soup (Cup of course instead of the bowl I used to order) I just ate the broth….a whole 3 tablespoonful’s over a period of about 45minutes and it was DELICIOUS . Okay I admit it. I smashed up one of the carrots in the Soup to a pulp and ate that too. I took the rest of my soup home for later and that amazing iced tea. It took me 7 hours to drink that kid’s glass but I sure did!! Took another day of walking in craft stores. Started making another wreath for my Sister In Laws’s front door for my nephews little league baseball teams. All in all it was a great day.

DAY 6 After Surgery

Well its getting easier to get more liquids in. I am still not able to get any more than 1protein drink in per day. Totally tired of Gatorade so I have moved on to bottled Water and crystal lite. Makes it so much easier. sugar free Popsicles are also awesome! Especially at night when I think I am hungry but know I just need a little liquid. Its gives me the satisfaction of chewing. I have absolutely no pain at all. Nada, not even with a cough or a sneeze. I know everyone is different and cannot believe how lucky I have been.

Love your blog, tomorrow is my big day!

Day 7 – After surgery

So today I finally got all of my required Protein in! I had a regular Protein Drink. The Celebrate vanilla Cake Batter – have I told you how YUMMIE this one is. It has 25gms of Protein. Then I also found a new gem in the grocery store. Lucerne (A product of Safeway and soon to be found in all Albertsons) has a Protein Plus Fat Free supplement in the dairy department. This item has 12gms of protein per 8oz. I used this to mix my Celebrate shake. Making it 37gms and it tastes awesome! Later in the evening I had the Celebrate chocolate milk flavored Protein Shake made with fat free milk. This combo was very light and filling. Today I also tried sugarfree applesauce. I had no problems adding that into my diet. – Until tomorrows adventure!

Day 8 – After surgery minus 30 pounds

Well today I am both Happy and Sad. It’s been 8 Days since my surgery and I am officially down 30 pounds in 24 days. I see it in my face but nowhere else (Like clothes etc) I know this is partially because I am still swollen in in the tummy area since I literally had surgery 9 days ago. The sad part is I am now where I was when I started my last diet and lost 50 pounds. (That’s I lost 50 pounds and then regained 80 pounds- the story of my life) The happy side of this 30 pound loss is that this time it’s forever.

I am finding myself a lot thirstier these last few days and easier to drink my required liquids. I’ve also discovered that the heartier Soups like Pot Roast Vegatable Soup – if you drain out the meats and veggies and just dip a spoon into the broth that it’s much more satisfying. (Remember to only dip and not scoop as you don’t want to eat too fast or too much at once) I literally dip the spoon and then suck off what remains on the spoon. Sounds disgusting but hey it works for me 

Happy Friday Eve!

Tanz

Glad to hear that you're doing so well. I ordered a sample pack from Celebrate, but no cake batter flavor. Looking forward to the chocolate one they sent, though. Love reading your posts:)

I'm enjoying your blog. You are a few months ahead of me and I hope to learn a lot from your experiences! I loved the Soup trick (removing the chunks), as I dont know if I would have been able to do basic chicken broth for a long time. Did you find one kind better than others? My doc doesn't really require a strict pre-op diet, but I figure I'll try to do 2 weeks of what most people are doing anyway. Can't hurt and it will get the weight loss started!