Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stretched sleeve

How far out are you and how long have you been overfilling it? That makes a difference.

I have found that a couple of days of just Protein shakes tightens up my restriction if that helps.

You may find the information you are looking for on this site:

http://www.provostbariatrics.com/can-you-really-stretch-your-pouch/

why the heck do you think you stretched your sleeve, Its virtually impossible,

more info would be helpful

Those symptoms could be from eating carbs. If you cut way back on them for a while you will most likely get rid of the cravings. Also try assessing what you are really feeling when you think you're hungry... is it real physical my-stomach-is-empty hunger, or is it "head hunger"?

Another thing it could be is excess stomach acid. If you are not taking a med like Prilosec, you might benefit from adding it; or if you are on one you might consider [asking your doc about] increasing the dose.

One thing I've found helps me is only eating every 4 hours - 8am, noon, 4pm and 8pm. That way I know when I'll have something next, and I can keep better control of my intake. And it helps me NOT get in the habit of grazing. I do sometimes get hungry between those times, but I try to deal with that by drinking Water, chewing gum, having a sugar-free candy, etc.

RJ's / beginning - that is an excellent article you recommended. You are a font of wisdom and inspiration!

Okay, I know I sound like a broken record... but here are a couple of things for hunger management to try.

1. You might be having excess acid... that happens. I know, everybody says, "I don't have reflux" but i am telling you even excess acid without reflux can feel like a gnawing hunger. If I had known that during the 10 years I had the lapband I might not have grown to over 300# since I suffered with low grade acid and the only thing that soothed me was food. An acid inhibitor drug can do wonders if you need it.

2. Carbs make me hungry. i mean, they really make me hungry. If I eat clean, stay low carb, I have a low to moderate appetite. When the carb monster is unleashed, i feel like I want to eat ALL the time.

3. Go back to basics... dense Proteins are FILLING. Slider foods just slide by and don't give you that feeling of satisfaction. Seriously, try following the basic sleeve rules for a week or two and see if your appetite doesn't begin to decrease.

4. Water load. Okay, this is where about 2-3 hours after a meal you start consuming alot of Water. I mean, like, you down a couple of cups... don't make yourself uncomfortably full, but you should feel some lack of emptiness! This is not for the newly sleeved I would say, but for someone a ways out like me, it extends the time before I need to eat again.

Conversely, don't drink before meals - a dry tummy gets full feeling on those dense Proteins way faster then one already lubbed up by liquids.

5. Practice to eating to absence of hunger, not to fullness. Over time you start to change your perception of "enough" and get more restriction.

Hun, you didn't stretch your sleeve. Your sleeve is made up of tissue that doesn't stretch that much. The doctor took off the portion of the stomach that stretches a lot. It's what you're eating.

i see a few people saying the sleeve cannot ever stretch. I have read and heard from doctors that YES it can stretch if you over eat . so im confused now. im just curious what everyone else heard on that topic?

I am not sure how much it can mecanically or physically stretch - I have not researched it by reading actual research papers/data. What I do know is that you can sort of "lose" that feeling of restriction by behavior. I know that I can always get it back by changing my behavior which makes me think that any stretching is minor and that the real issues are getting used to a feeling of a "packed pouch" and the other remarks I made above regarding acid etc etc.

i see a few people saying the sleeve cannot ever stretch. I have read and heard from doctors that YES it can stretch if you over eat . so im confused now. im just curious what everyone else heard on that topic?

Yea, I've heard it can stretch. That's why I'm worried.. Trying to find some Protein Shakes that won't make me nauseous.. I tried Jay Robb egg white Protein the other day and so far so good. Thanks everyone for all

The great tips. Wish me luck!

One of the keys to keeping that feeling of restriction/tightness is to consistently eat to "satisfied" and not "full". It is like re-training your brain that absence of hunger not a feeling of "fullness" is the goal.

SMALL QUANTITIES of dense Protein and veggies first!

Protein Bars often slide down pretty easy and some of them are really high carb so be careful of them

Good luck!

Wake up people!!, especially those of you that are medical... the gastric sleeve DOES STRETCH!!, the stomach is made mostly of smooth muscle, and muscles are tissues that stretch, I don't know why surgeons are telling lies to their patients, please do your own research, check out foreign websites and you will see that they do confirm that the stomach does,and will stretch if you pack in more than you should....

To some extent I don't care if it is a physical stretch or a change in the feeling of restriction. I know how to maintain good restriction and I continue to behave that way so it works. I was sleeved Dec 2011