Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

CPAP or BPAP Machine for sleep apnea

Results are in from sleep study and yup I have to sleep on the blasted machine. If anyone is currently sleeping on one of these machines I would love any feedback you can provide on pro's and cons, What type of mask did you find most comfortable, how long did it take you to adjust to sleeping on it, and anything else you would like to share. I am dreading wearing this contraption to bed and I know this sounds ridiculous but you mean In addition to being morbidly obese I have to WEAR THIS TO BED!?? So not sexy at all lol.

I have used CPAP since 2006. I have severe claustrophobia so I have a piece that just covers my nose. No mask for me! If you have never used one just give yourself time to get used to it. You will be glad you did. I wake up knowing I had a good night's sleep. I don't worry about the sexy part as my hubby is on CPAP too. It is quite a sight in our room at night. I am still jumping thru insurance hoops so surgery won't happen until late March or April, but I am looking forward to no more CPAP. Hang in there!!

I have used mine for 12 years!! Love it. At first I was also claustrophobic , but now I can't imagine not using it. My PCP said I would probably always need it because I have enlarged tonsils. I would have to have them taken out! My husband also uses one. I always said we would never be abducted by aliens, if they came at night!!! Lol

I used to work for a cpap company. Some people love them, some hate them, and most take a few days to a few weeks to get used to them. As for masks, if you are a mouth breather, a full face mask is what you'll need, otherwise, lots of people like nasal pillows, they are a pretty small mask.

Last year when I was gonna have surgery, I was given a machine by my company and did a home sleep test, and yeah, I needed it. Although I am not a mouth breather, the first few times, i was panicky, so I used a full face mask, so I could take deep breaths while I was getting used to it. I also took half an ambien for the first week or 2. After that I was fine and get a great nights sleep, feel much better in the morning. Good luck and stick with it.

I've had a CPAP since 2008, and can honestly say that I can't sleep without it. I recommend that when you first get it, wear it during the evening while watching TV or reading. That helped me get used to it when I first got it. I would also recommend getting two different masks (I have bought the on Amazon before). I used to have the nasal pillows and 10 months of the year, I preferred them. But in the winter my nose would get raw from blowing it, and the nasal pillows would irritate it even more. So I would switch to a mask that covered my nose and didn't sit in the same spot.

As for feeling sexy, if it bothers you, just don't put it on until the lights are off. Or have fun with it. My wife LOVES (***sarcasm***) the sexy talk in a Darth Vader voice. The improvement in sleep definitely off-sets all the other worries.

I have used mine since 2008. I had nasal polyps removed from my nose so I had to use the full face mask type. I tried the nose only one after I healed and I couldn't get used to it. I really feel uncomfortable without it now. I am going to have my surgery on March 10th and I am hoping this will eliminate the need for the CPAP. I already had my uvula and tonsils removed to help with the apnea and that barely made a difference. All I can say is give it a chance and you will feel much better with it then without. And remember to clean it.

I've been a sleep tech for the past 10 years and I'll tell you everyone is different. It depends on whether you're a mouth breather or a nose. The full face masks ( for mouth breathers) have gotten sooo much better. My favorite go to full face is the Resmed Quattro FX. If you are a nose breather and don't like pillows up your nose, then Resmed has a new Swift FX Nano that is great. But make sure you "try before you buy" because you don't want to get stuck with a mask you don't like. If you hate your mask, you're gonna hate CPAP.

I have had mine for 2 years now and I cant sleep without it. I have a full face mask, mouth breather. If I fall asleep on the couch for a couple of hrs without it I feel like crap when I wake up. I need it. I had no problems sleeping with it, I have found out if I put the hose over my headboard it doesn't get messed up or bother me at all. Yes it isn't sexy but it is now just part of life, it is exciting when the wife unbuckles it you know things are going to happen!! lol. I am hoping after the surgery and I loose the weight I will no longer need it, all though I'll need another one of those sleep tests. That is one of my goals.

I was diagnosed with very mild apnea in October of last year. I was given a machine with the mask that covers the nose only. My pressure was set at 14. I felt claustrophobic and had awful headaches after using it. Barely able to keep it on 4 hours before yanking it off.

Went back to the doctor and got an auto titration. Pressure went down to 8. I STILL hate the thing and feel claustrophobic. I've tried every mask except the pillows (which I'm going to try soon) and none of them help. I'm a nose breather, but I still feel like I can't breathe out. I also don't like the heated air. I've tried it with that turned off, but I actually need the humidity and from what I can tell, they can't be separated.

Paid way too much money for the silly machine that just sits there doing nothing most of the time because I can't tolerate it. Hopefully you're one who really loves it. Unfortunately I'm not. I sleep worse with it on.

I just was diagnosed with sleep apnea after jumping through hoops for surgery. Last week I had my cpap fitting sleep study. Tomorrow I find out my results. Last official hurdle! Still hoping for a early March date!

If you have difficulty exhaling ask for an EPR ( exhalation pressure relief) or CFlex to be set. That can make a big difference. Nasal pillows can help big time with the claustrophobic feelings. There are also nasal masks as small as pillows if you don't like the pillows inside your nostrils.

I have had CPAP for the last 5 years. While I was a mouth breather, I couldn't adjust to the mask. I felt claustrophobic. I use the nasal pillows and would recommend it ! I had the UPP first hoping to avoid the machine. I am hoping that eventually I will not need the machine but until than it is nice not waking up with a H/A or waking every hour. The added bonus is that I no longer snore ????. Good luck!

I have COPD and was given a CPAP. Would wake up panicing because I couldn't breathe out. BPAP solved the problem. I use nose pillows even though I am a mouth breather...pressure keeps my mouth closed.