Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food(s) you thought you loved...

Yes, that would be Pasta. I love pasta but since I've been banded, pasta don't love me. Every now and again I can actually eat a little Mac and cheese if it's really cheesy and spaghetti sometimes. Other than that, no pasta for me.

Fast food cheeseburgers...they are really disgusting creatures! Mountain Dew. I LIVED off of the stuff. I took one sip of my husband's a few months ago and now it tastes like generic "citrus drink" or maybe floor mop solution, definitely not the classic Mt. Dew flavor of my dreams. And sadly enough, leafy green salads. I always used Romaine, spinach, etc. and just loved it. Never iceberg. But now that I have to chew so much more thoroughly, by the time I swallow, they have a dirt taste to them. So sad!

Oh yes, all the foods with zing and tang... I used to love spicy foods, anything with artichokes, pickles or anything else super vinegary (even salt and vinegar potato chips) and that sort of thing... It's partially heartburn, but mostly they just don't taste good to me anymore. It's totally weird.

I'm completely opposite of you there, Sasha! I used to not really like spicy foods at all, but it's definitely a big crave for me now! Pickles, jalapenos, hotter salsas...mmmm! I think I definitely yearn for them a lot more than sweet things, and pre band I was a sugaraholic.

I eat more like a vegetarian now - I eat a lot of chicken and fish. I don't really have red meat that often at all, maybe 2x a month. I used to eat red meat all the time!

I have said that I could never be a vegetarian lol. It's not really on purpose I just don't crave it and it sickens me a little with the fat content in hamburger meat while cooking it in the pan.

pizza. pizza and spaghetti used to be trigger foods for me. I could eat barrels, once I got going. Seriously, like portions 3 large starving truckers would eat. Or else I would eat a moderate portion, and feel "deprived." Lol

Now, they have no power over me whatsoever!!!!! (.... Happy dance .... )

1. bread. I haven't eaten more than a bite or two and I really don't miss it.

2. Sugar. Things with it taste different. I never knew how sweet sugar really was.

I don't know why, but I tried to eat a munchkin from DD yesterday. It was totally not worth it and half way through I tossed it. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so glad there are there are other people whose tastes have changed! My dr says there is no reason foods I liked before I won't like now.. My list is easy though.

I'm too chicken to try a sandwich!

Bananas... The smell of them makes me gag

But oh do I miss my bud lite!!! I would love to have a beer! Ice cold... Mmmm.

But when I am really missing something I use to eat I go put on my new jeans... Then my old ones over them!!

Sugar for me too - I haven't used even a teaspoon since I've had surgery! I was addicted to sweet tea before now I drink peach tea (crystal lite) or unsweetened!

Hi Fellow banders!

I'm with you eating fastfood or sanwiches is just not worth it! I have completely lost the fastfood desire. how about a cup of chicken chili at taco time? a yogart with fruit at Mcds? these are the things that work for me when family has the desire every once in awhile. Most of the time now i just wait to go home! I figure Why waste the money for the bathroom at these joints! coffee yes.lol

thanks for sharing

I'd really like to know--since you guys have had the lap band, are you able to eat hummus or sushi? How about salads (like the Applebees Green Goddess Wedge Salad:https://www.applebees.com/menu/appetizers/sides/green-goddess-wedge)? Those are three things I love, and relatively healthy too, but I don't know how they would go down with the band. From what I'm reading, the band is kind of a wall to carbohydrates, which I guess is a good thing if you're looking to lose weight.

I'd really like to know--since you guys have had the lap band, are you able to eat hummus or sushi? How about salads (like the Applebees Green Goddess Wedge Salad:https://www.applebees.com/menu/appetizers/sides/green-goddess-wedge)? Those are three things I love, and relatively healthy too, but I don't know how they would go down with the band. From what I'm reading, the band is kind of a wall to carbohydrates, which I guess is a good thing if you're looking to lose weight.

Hummus is fine in fact it can be a slider food and it's easy to over eat. For me with sushi it depends on what type it is, I don't have any problem with rice but I know some people do. Salads are again a person by person thing I used to enjoy all kinds of salad but now a lot of higher Fiber vegetables (like broccoli and some types of lettuce) can feel very uncomfortable.

The only carbs that are "blocked" usually are ones that expand in Water. That's why toast is easier than fresh bread and few people have trouble with chips or crackers. Anything that turns into sticky paste when dropped in Water has a good chance of causing a person to get stuck.

Hummus goes down OK although I'm not much of a fan of the food.

Sushi can be problematic. I can eat rice and sushi but only in small bites mixed with other veggies. I guess that's why sushi works for me. But, the problem with sushi is trying to eat small bites. Rolls are very difficult to consume since it's hard to nibble on them without the disintegration of the entire piece. Also, it's so darn good, it's hard to not eat too fast and too much. Stuck episodes just around the turn.

tmf

I have eaten hummus just fine - I think that I could get carried away with it because I need to eat like crackers or something with it - just not out of those little single serve packages. Applebees has a 500 calorie and under menu and its pretty good. 500 calories is a lot - but I only eat half of the serving and save the other half - so its 250 calories, which is better.

Are you on my fitness pal? On my fitness pal you log in your food and it calculates your calories. It might help you - I've also added the food in just to see how many calories before I eat it - so you could log your Applebees Green Goddess salad on there and see how many calories it is and then you can decide whether or not its worth it - or maybe you can just have half.

I would suggest having a diary for your daily intake of calories, at least at first. I had no idea how many calories I was consuming until I started logging my food on my fitness pal app. I hope that helps :)

Edited by jamilyne 102668

I can eat rice and sushi but only in small bites mixed with other veggies. I guess that's why sushi works for me. But, the problem with sushi is trying to eat small bites. Rolls are very difficult to consume since it's hard to nibble on them without the disintegration of the entire piece.

Even before surgery, I've always asked for them to cut it small. This usually results in half the width of the normal piece and it's much easier to eat. I've only tried sashimi (fish only) and this point and one piece of my finances sushi without any problems. I'm always concerned about paying that much for a roll, it getting stuck and I cannot have leftover sushi. Ugh. So I've stuck with sashimi and stealing from others. :)