Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2014 post op losers

Hi Tammy,

So glad you found your way back. I tried to help by replying to you but I am not sure it helped.

Glad to see you hear again and I hope that you are doing well too.

Claire

If you guys ever come to disney or St. augustine, I am right in between the two.

My weight loss has slowdown down. I was at 90 lbs but somehow over the last week I gained 4.5 lbs. I'm trying to reevaluate what I could be doing wrong and maybe it's nothing. It's happened before then I take off again. It is discouraging though but my chart is still moving downward ever so slowly. I'm happy with my progress and I get compliments so things must be working.

Hi,

Good to know Erin, you never know we might meet up at some point, that would be good.

Tammy... frustrating isn't it! However, as you say something must be going right, if we could all just ignore the scales!

Well done to everyone

Claire

Before and current pictures

You look awesome!!

Thank you everyone.. i still have 25 more pounds to hit goal. My weight loss is barely crawling..but I'm better today than I was this time last year.

I'm in northern California if anyone ever makes it over here.

Ryn,

We love northern California and have spent many wonderful holidays there, and intend to do so again in the future.

You look like you are at target in the photo so that is amazing that you still have 25 pounds to go.

Take care

Claire

Hi everyone - great to catch up on all your news (I've been mostly without access to the internet while in Scotland).

Tammy - so glad you found us again! I had the same problem so I've "bookmarked" our group. Sorry about your weight fluctuation - in my own experience, exercise has been more of a factor in my weight loss than just what I'm eating. Good luck! You can do it!

Deanna - what a huge difference - you look amazing!

Erin - you look fantastic too - I can't believe you've still got 25 lbs to go - you'll be downright "skinny" :)

I had a lovely visit with Claire - she's exactly as positive, kind and supportive as you would imagine from her posts - and she looks great. I loved a comment that she made - she said we are "melting downwards" (maybe a British thing?) - it's true! - we've both lost lots of weight in our faces, shoulders, arms etc. Can't wait for the "melting" to reach my belly!! (We're both still "apples") In fact, Claire has lost so much weight from her face that it was her yellow VW Bug I recognized - not her :) Change that picture, Claire! We had so much in common - not just WLS - and her husband is a sweetheart - hope to see them again soon.

Lots of NSV's on my trip - no seat extension on the plane (in fact I had to tighten my belt!); easily got in and out of the back of my brothers tiny car; walked everywhere without difficulty etc. My mother lives in the city of Glasgow so I took the train or bus "into town" to go shopping several times and walked for hours around the pedestrian precincts checking out the latest styles, visiting large book stores etc. So much fun - I was really "chuffed" with myself.

And I lost weight over the past few weeks - despite having my fish and chips, sausage roll and haggis (yes haggis!), I've finally entered "Onederland". Still got a ways to go but I'm feeling so positive - it's definitely worth it. Glad to be home - missed my hubby!

Edited by JanetteH

Hi Janette,

So glad that you are back home safely, it must seem as if you have been away for ages. It was great to see you over my side of the pond, hope to see you again too.

I saw my bariatric consultant yesterday. He said that he was really pleased with my weight loss, and any more weight would have been worrying. He said that the diarrhoea issues are a bile rush which do go on for a few days once they start and suggested some things which is great. As Janette knows it is something that is completely unpredictable and hits very fast so it will be so good to have something to help with that. He thinks that I will definitely need skin removed and it sounded as if the weight loss at that stage will also be much more than I thought, and that is good news. Maybe that is something for me for this time next year or a bit later. So all good news.

Take care all of you, and I hope that you are all ok

C x

Janette so glad you had a great trip and experienced so many NSV's!

Great job on your follow up Claire, so glad your doc is pleased with your progress. I hope the suggested things help with your diarrhea. That must be tough to be so unpredictable and having to be near a toilet all the time. Do you think insurance will help with the skin removal? I definitely want a Tummy Tuck, but not sure it will be covered. I'm also going to pursue a breast reduction and lift.

Hi Kim,

Yes it is not a matter of if I have an embarrassing incident, but when, the way things are going. He suggested Infacol, which babies take for colic, for the wind and Questran (?) for the bile rush, preventatively if it is rally important that nothing untoward happens. I will see my GP soon and ask him to prescribe that. Otherwise all is good really.

As for the skin removal. He is firmly of the opinion that for those of us who have lost a lot and have excess skin that this is not a cosmetic issue, but a medical one. Infections, practical toilet issues, skin soreness, sexual difficulties etc he identified as things that make the situation medical for us. I know he has supported the case for someone in my group over here to have skin removal on the NHS(under insurance for you I suppose). This man has lost 210 pounds and is due to have his surgery any day now. He says that I won't be happy not to have it done, and I think that he is right. He said that abdomen, pubic area, tops of arms and thighs would probably be necessary and I know that other people have had a fleur de lys type scarring, going round to the back as well. I think it depends what different people need, and how much of a case they can make that this is a medical issue. He feels that it should be a natural continuum from wls for those who have lost a lot of weight. He is a wonderful and highly empathetic bariatric surgeon and is highly supportive throughout whether people have had the surgery on the NHS or privately. I would try to make your case as strong as possible, and if you can get people to refer or back you up that seems to help, at least over here.

I hope all is ok with you Kim, take care

Claire

Hi Claire

Over here since things are not "nationalized", it all depends on your individual insurance - some people pay big bucks for really excellent insurance, others pay for the minimum. For example, I have a plan somewhere in the middle - plenty of coverage but a large deductible - nothing is "free". One generalization I've heard is that most insurers here pay for a panniculectomy (remove the front apron of skin) but many do not cover a full abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), arms, thighs etc. Probably easy to argue that removing the excess skin is medical due to rashes, cysts etc but more than that (tightening muscles, removing fat) is considered cosmetic in most people - but 210 lbs is a lot of weight so I've no idea where they draw the line - plus it's all up to your own individual insurance company/policy.

I'll know more when I get to that point - I know I want at least a panniculetomy :)

Hi Janette,

Interesting about what the insurance company might pay for in some cases. Over here the NHS is not keen to support anything really, but I can see the logic in terms of differentiating between different surgeries (at least in their minds). I think a potential issue is what is considered to be abdomen and what is considered to be more of the pubic area. There could be different issues there, but maybe both are covered if necessary in the panniculetomy. The definitions I have read are far from clear.

Hopefully we will all be able to make a case for the things we need, maybe not for the things we want though.

Take care

Claire

I'm really struggling with Breakfast and lunch ideas. What are you guys eating these days?

Hi Erin

I tend to have eggs for breakfast - a favorite of mine before WLS - I find my day gets off to a god start with some Protein and veggies. I usually have them scrambled or poached with a couple of slices of low-carb toast or add veggies & 1 oz low-fat cheese instead (mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes, green onions etc).

Here's some other ideas I got from various WLS sites - hope they help - good luck.

Egg Salad

2 boiled eggs, 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayo, 3 Ryvita crisp-bread.

Total calories = 364

Strawberry Nut Oatmeal

Cook ¾ c dry old-fashioned quick oats with Water (to desired consistency), and top with 1 c strawberries or blueberries and 2 Tbsp pecans.

Total Calories = 375

Vanilla Fruit-and-Nut Parfait

Mix 1½ c whole grain puffed Cereal with 6 oz fat-free vanilla yogurt, 1 c blueberries, and 2 Tbsp almonds.

Total Calories = 354

Southwest Breakfast Tacos

Fill three soft corn tortillas with the following ingredients: ½ cup egg whites, scrambled; ¼ cup sliced Hass avocado ¼ cup low-fat shredded Cheddar cheese, and ¼ cup salsa verde.

Total calories: 363

Breakfast Pita

Warm 1 multigrain pita and fill evenly with 4 scrambled egg whites or ½ c liquid egg, ½ c fresh baby spinach leaves, ¼ c salsa, and ¼ c sliced avocado.

Total Calories = 329

Toast and Cheese 
Toast 2 slices sesame-sprouted whole grain bread and top with ¼ c nonfat ricotta cheese and 2 Tbsp walnuts. Serve with 1 medium apple.

Total Calories = 372

Cashew Crunch 
Top 1 slice sesame-sprouted whole grain bread with 2 Tbsp cashew butter and ¼ c raisins.

Total Calories = 400

Mediterranean Breakfast Wrap

Fill a 100% whole wheat wrap with ½ cup egg substitute, scrambled; 1 oz feta cheese; 1 diced plum tomato; and 10 large sliced black olives.< /p>

Total calories: 364

Farm Fresh Egg & Cheese Sandwich

Drizzle one toasted whole wheat English muffin with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Top the muffin with one large poached egg, 1 slice reduced-fat Swiss cheese, and half of a medium vine-ripened Tomato, sliced.

Total calories: 387

PB&A Oatmeal

2 Tbsp peanut butter, swirled into ¾ cup quick oatmeal, cooked, and topped with 1 medium sliced apple.

Total Calories = 388