Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

when do you start to feel better?

help! I had my surgery Feb.3 and on full liquids . Pain wise I am doing very well with very little but I just don't have any energy! My DH took me to the store yesterday to just get out of the house and I thought I was going to pass out....not a good idea! Does it get better on the purée phase? I hope to start that phase on Thursday! I start back to work next week and hope to have more energy! I know I am not getting all my Water in but Iam getting close to getting my Protein in thanks to Premier Protein, So far pre and post op I have lost 25lbs.

I'm sure that the experience is different for everyone, but for me, it took a good 4-5 weeks for me to feel fully back to myself. With that being said, I went back to work after 2 weeks off. That was probably a week or 2 too early in retrospect. I was wiped out exhausted. It will take a couple more weeks, but you will get there! Are you doing B12 injections or anything? Those really helped me with the energy level. Still do, actually.....

Our bodies are so different. I took one dose of pain med when I got home, rested, and 3 days after surgery went to the grocery store. One week later I had so much energy and shopped for hours. I always hated shopping. Now that is all I want to do. I think spring will rejuvenate everyone! I know it will make me happy. Best wishes.

I started back to work 5 days post op and was doing well...and then felt like I hit a wall of tired last week. I'm mid-week 3 and resting as much as possible. Just totally worn out. Working on Water and sleep and hoping that by the end of the week I will have more energy.

I don't know how anyone was able to work out in the first month. Every time I do it just wipes me out from exhaustion.

I went back to work in two weeks post op. I find when I was able to have real food...I felt better and had more entergy. I had to remember that my body went from injesting a huge amount each day down to next to nothing. I have received b-12 shots and B-12 supplements each day. I think that helped as well. It will get better but I kept the fatigue for two months. Best to you!!

I don't know how anyone was able to work out in the first month. Every time I do it just wipes me out from exhaustion.

Cmon, let's be realistic, Before the sleeve, if there was a motorized way to get from the house to the car, I would have taken it. I used to work out tons when I was skinny (such a distant memory) But once obese, I figured exercise was pointless. I got exhausted walking thru a store.

The sleeve didn't change us overnight. We are still starting out obese and workouts are gonna be super difficult and exhausting. But at least now there is a point to it. The possibility of actually reaching that goal. I used to be embarrassed to even enter the gym. Now I have a kinda smirk that I know something they all don't. I will get this weight off, regardless of their judgmental glaring.

speaking of......I'm off to the gym.....less people there in the morning.....LOL.

Edited by Recycled

Recycled, you GO! Positive attitude and humor go hand in hand with your new life!!! Happy exercising!

Thanks everyone! I just have to remind myself I went thru a traumatic surgery. Your replies do give me hope down the road I just need to take one day at a time. I am hoping when I get food that I will feel stronger on the purée stage! I was very active before surgery working out and walking a mile, now I am lucky to get 10 minutes on the treadmill I have my first post op visit on Thursday with blood work, I will be sure to ask about the B 12 shots. I am taking it in pill form. thank you everyone for your replies! !!

Like many have said, everyone is different. I was back to work after 5 days and did just fine. I felt a little stronger every day. Are you getting all if your Protein in? I think that's the key to getting your energy back and feeling better! Hang in there-it will come! :)

Edited by slmwo

When you hit the pureed stage, things will change dramatically.

You won't be able to run marathons, but the energy levels will improve, but you'll almost have to re-stock your calorie levels quite often. Probably about 6-8 mini-meals every day. I still get hungry every 2.5 hours after eating.

My advice (and don't anyone flay me for it, because it was a necessity for me and it worked), don't worry too much about low fat/low calories for the first few weeks. Because you're eating so little, you need to get the most energy and nutrients out of the small amount you're eating. So, for example, I had a roast dinner with roasted lamb, roast potatoes, carrots, peas, all mashed up with gravy to make it the right consistency. Made me feel like a different human being.

Keep the food clean and wholesome and you'll do just fine. :)

We are all different. I also had my sleeve on2/3/14. I have pain (onl hen getting up from a sitting position) but do not need to rest any more than I normally did. Maybe I was alway tired. So I really dont feel differnet. I ued to nap every sat and sunday. I couls shop all day and feel great but I would need a nap as soo as I got home. I am hoping that teed for a nap will decrease with some weight loss. Keep doing what you are doing and things will fall into place.

Make sure they do regular blood work on you. I still have problems a little over 2 months. I have a B1 thiamine defeniciency. I am tired. Cant exercise. I can't stand for more than 15 minutes. The part of the stomach that supported the thiamine was the part that was removed. So I am on a thiamine pill. But on my next visit. I will inquire about injections. I do not like shots but I know they work faster. Alot of people think its B12 or a Iron defeniciency when I tell them some of the systems. But it can be dangerous to your health. Look it up. My doctor has me do blood work before each apptointment to chevk this. Mine was real low. My sister who is a registered nurse told me last night they have injections for it. She also told me that this is usually given to alcoholics. I told her I don't have that problem I do not drink. Check into this. My doctor gives me a print out each month of all my results.