Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oink oink before pre-op liquids?

Did anyone else decide to PIG OUT before they had to start their pre-op liquid diet? I got my date the other day and start my liquid diet on 02/10...and I have been eating ridiculously...anyone else? This is kind of my goodbye to foods I won't be able to eat for a long time but I feel like I really shouldn'e be... food for thought I guess.

My surgery is Monday and I have an all clear diet for sat and sun. I have noticed the same thing! I am not proud of it, but I feel like you, I am not going to be eating this again/or for a while. I know its not a good idea to justify things, but deprivation has always made me nuts, so I am getting it out of my system I guess. I am being mindful of the things I am choosing to eat and especially the quantity, so I don't get out of control. I don't know about you but I am excited as well as anxious, so I think thats whats contributing to it. Good luck to you!

surgery.png?ts=1391717219

Yay! Made some tickers finally!

bodyweight.png?ts=1391717390

I am so glad I'm not the only one...I stopped eating McDonald's about 9 months ago but I had a large value meal yesterday and ate every bite! lol Good Luck to you on your surgery!!

I am a few years out from my sleeve procedure, and my husband is scheduled for his in a couple of weeks. We had a two-day pig out session before my liquid diet started and he did it again before his started. I think it is relatively normal to want to have a food-fest directly before you know your diet choices are fixing to no longer be negotiable. I still have bad choices that I make - two Cookies as opposed to a healthy snack...but I am still losing and feeling great. Don't feel bad about your pre-liquid diet pig out - in a few weeks it will be all in the past. :)

LOL. Well I am not big on Micky D's but I hear ya. I was scheduled to have lap band last month and my surgeons office was shut down by the hospital, 1 week before surgery and I had been on a liquid diet for 8 days at that point, I was so angry, and upset I killed an entire bag of chex muddy buddys. And, the sad part is it didnt even feel good, it just made me disappointed in myself. So this time around if I want a piece of candy I am having one, but just one and that way I don't go crazy from deprivation but I still get to taste the candy so it is better than nothing and its working so i am sticking with that. As for this weekend I know I can do that since I made it 8 days on the last one, so I am not sweating it and just doing the best I can. I know you will too, quitting fast food is awful at the time but it makes you feel so much better. I quit in 2010, when I decided to try an all natural vegan diet and I lost about 50 lbs, but then I just gradually started to eat cheese and dairy and was like ok, I will just be vegetarian....lol Needless to say, I have lost 24 lbs and kept it off since I started in July with the weight loss guidance of the nutritionist, and eating low cal only chicken and fish veggies and limited dairy. It helped me to go into my appointments and get weighed and have someone else see it, and either be happy for me or steer me back in the right direction.

I had lots of food funerals before I started my 2 week pre-op diet. But as I got closer to the date, it just got old. I ended up starting my pre-op diet a day early because I felt doing otherwise was counterproductive.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd limit the food funerals - pick maybe 2-4 things, then be done with it. Quite frankly there are foods that I mourned that I no longer want (specifically fast foods) and there are other foods that I have mourned that I have been able to have once my doc said I have no restrictions. The anxiety over I created for myself wasn't worth it.

You're fast approaching your surgery date - take this time to prepare for your post-surgery life...

Practice eating slower (I use an app called Eat Slower)

Practice taking smaller bites (I used appetizer spoons and forks)

Integrate a shake or two into your day - experiment with different flavors and textures

Practice mindful eating techniques (eat meals at the table with the TV off)

Start exercising - I walked a lot before surgery; walking helps you recover more quickly; be in the best shape you can.

Best of luck to you!

I had a food funeral. i was glad I did. i ate my favorite foods for a couple of weeks. the night before I started my 2 week liquid diet I had my most favorite meal of all time....I do not regret it at all

The one thing that I did find out is that I can still eat those foods now if I want to, just not in the same amounts.....I am one of those that saw the funeral as a good thing...:)

But...........that is just me!

I did not but I think it is pretty normal.

By the time I had surgery I was so OVER food as a friend, crutch or whatever. I was so miserable (look at my before pic, I LOOK miserable!). I was hungry 24/7 so I certainly ate alot but it wasn't a food funeral. Truth of the matter is that being sleeved doesn't mean your food life is over. I sometimes struggle too, but in general I LIKE not being hungry all the time. I like that food doesn't drive me and my behavior like it used to. I like being sleeved so in hindsight I think a "celebration" of a new life is more in order!

I may have done some shoveling of candy or ice cream into my mouth...but in general...no, I too, was SOOOO ready to be done with this and have had a good journey even tho things have slowed down... it's all good, I know I'm making good choices and I'll get there! Good luck to you!

Well said, Jane! Celebration - I like that!

I will add for the OP...Sometimes for me, eating a royal pain. It's more of an inconvenience. There have been times that I've taken 30 minutes to prepare a really great dish and get it on my plate only to look at it and not want to eat it or taking a few bites and not being hungry any more. I would like to eat more, but I can't. While that's a good thing, it's frustrating.

Other times, I have found great enjoyment out of eating. It's weird. I enjoy certain foods so much more - I have to eat slower and really savor the food.

Eating has taken a whole different place in my life - right now, I eat for fuel, I don't eat for enjoyment any more. It no longer has a hold on me. And, like Jane said above, I am no hungry all the time. I don't think about food all the time now. It's liberating.

Omg, the "food funerals" before my diet started lol I also pigged out big time before my surgery. I hit up my favorite restaurants, my favorite fast food, and my favorite Desserts. You might as well enjoy it while you can IMHO

I'm now 5 mos. out and down 90lbs. I'm actually being td to eat MORE by my doctor now. We had brownies at the superbowl...I ate 1/2 of one and was fully satisfied and gave the rest away. You'll see you can still have what you like post surgery, you just won't have an insatiable appetite anymore..Now you will have a birds appetite lol

Before the sleeve, I LOVED lasagne. In fact, I could eat half a tray of it, a side salad with balsamic dressing, a good slab of garlic ciabatta, all washed down with glasses of red wine and followed up, after 1 hours digestion room, with a nice desert of something creamy, cold and incredibly calorific.

Immediately after the sleeve (day 1 to week 4), I mourned lasagne. At week 4, I tried it and was fine. Albeit it was a VERY small amount.

I am now 4 months and 19 days out.

Tonight, I ate lasagne. I had the equivalent of 3 tablespoons full. No garlic ciabatta. Half a glass of red wine and a miniscule amount of a side salad. I am PERFECTLY content.

food funerals aren't really necessary. 6 weeks post surgery, you can try whatever it is you're lusting for (as long as its not oodles of the crap stuff) and a little will make you feel satiated and lovely.

That, I think, is the absolute blessing of this surgery. You can eat normal food - just very small amounts of it.

It's all in your heads people :)