Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why I am doing this... Why are you doing this?

Hi Everyone,

I go by SnohoGal98296 - I have been visiting and posting for a few months now. At first I was lurking to learn about your experiences and your pre and post surgery successes and failures. I also wanted to learn if you had the same experience as I have and if those experiences helped lead you to weight loss surgery.

I did this research to determine if WLS was for me - and through this site, my outside research of specific surgeons and my own family who have made the leap for themselves and are very happy, I have made the decision to get weight loss surgery, specifically the sleeve.

I am just in the process of determining which bariatric surgical center at which I will spend my hard earned money. I am self-pay, well employed and well insured, but with a WLS exclusion. As this is a huge investment for me I have closely examined specific reasons why I want this procedure. Below is my list (I apologize in advance for any TMIs :-D):

I have tried nearly every diet on the planet - I am 45 years old and first realized I was overweight when I was about 10 years old. Here is a list of diets I have tried over the past 35 years:

Lowfat / Nonfat

liquid VLC diet (I snuck my Dad's Optifast in the 6th grade)

Jenny Craig

Weight Watchers

Acupuncture

Hypnosis

Grocery Diet (Lean Cuisine, etc)

Starbucks Diet

Subway Diet

Atkins

South Beach

Medically Supervised Optifast

Medically Supervised High Protein / Low Carb (I was most successful here)

Here are my physical observations since my last diet and regain, I don't make this list to complain but to remind me why I need to be proactive for my health, in no particular order:

I am 5'6", I started my last diet at 275lbs, I lost around 50lbs. and was feeling pretty darn good about being in the 220's. I thought I could lose more and keep the weight off and did for almost a year, unfortunately the diet was too hard to maintain and I ended up gaining back the 50lbs. plus another 20lbs. Actually I am fluctuating between 295 and 298. At my first surgical consult their scale, fully clothed in the afternoon, said 302lbs.

I have finally eclipsed the largest size of my favorite work slacks - Lee "khaki" style slacks. Their largest size is 24W. I wear 24W in other brands but not in Lee anymore.

I have been on two business trips since October and on both occasions I had to ask for seat belt extenders, (funnily enough on the USA based airlines but not on the Japan based airline).

When I bend over to tie my shoes I feel starved for oxygen, I often need to prop my foot up to reach. I am unable to wear my favorite pair of boots anymore, my calves won't fit anymore - and they are men's boots.

I have resorted to fastening my bra before I put it on because my arms don't bend that way anymore.

I have a few creases in different areas of my body that get raw and irritated if I get sweaty. I have had to have prescription yeast infection treatments for these areas. Needless to say I hate to sweat now, in fact it makes me itch.

I barely fit in my son's car and the seat belt is fully extended when I fasten it. It is close in my car - but I have few inches there yet.

Some public restrooms stalls are too small for me, I have to use the handicap stall to have the space to reach, if you know what I mean (sorry TMI).

At a recent meeting at work, the chair I was sitting in broke, snapped underneath me with a loud crack and I barely caught myself before tumbling over backwards, and I yelped! My only relief from complete embarrassment? A normal size guy broke his chair too, a short while after mine did.

When I go to bed at night, I have to sleep with 2 or more pillows because I can't lay on my back without my own neck flesh choking me, I also need the pillows to sleep on my side due to my body is larger than one pillows width from the mattress surface.

I have borderline high blood pressure.

I do not have type II diabetes, although my surgical consult reminded it hasn't been tested in a couple of years.

Climbing the single flight of stairs at my work, walking between buildings, or trying to keep up with my family while we are on walks causes me to be out of breath.

Walking or standing for more than 20 or 30 mins makes my feet and back hurt so badly that I have to sit down. Cooking Thanksgiving dinner this year was excruciating. Doing normal housework is now a workout.

My hips brush the armrests of my office chair, not too small yet, but close. There is a woman at work who had to have facilities order her an XL chair and everyone knows about it.

Regarding my family -

My husband is truly supportive, he backs me 100%. My 17 year old son wonders why I can't diet and exercise more. My daughter really hasn't weighed in - I believe she supports me. I have a cousin who weighed over 440lbs. when she got the lap band, she got down to 300lbs and all weight loss stopped. After her band failed (i.e. broke internally, she didn't regain very much) she got a revision to RNY and has begun loosing again. Her son just got banded this year and has lost over 150lbs. and just got engaged. I feel comfortable within my own family with this decision.

Regarding work -

I have told my Boss and she supports my decision but I will only tell my coworkers on a person by person basis. Some will understand and support others just don't need to know.

So these are some of the reasons why I have decided to get weight loss surgery, what are some of your reasons?

Edited by SnohoGal98296

I'm in Snohomish County too! I had my surgery on 12/16. I was pre-diabetic and did not want to become diabetic.

I feel the quality of my life decline every year. Each year I am less active than before and now I have degenerative disc disease and arthritis in both knees. I had a hip replacement 8 years ago (bone tumor/benign) and vowed to take the weight off then to prolong another surgery on my hip as long as I can. I haven't been able to do it on my own in the past 8 yrs so its time for me to get some help so I don't develop other health issues.

Wow!! You are so brave!!! Ok...here I go...

I am choosing to have RNY for the following reasons:

I want to live past 50 (which is the age my gma passed away from a heart attack and stroke.

I want to live to be a great great grandma!

I want to for the 1st time in my life...look in a mirror and have the reflection match what I feel inside

I have borderline high BP, and my sugar was slightly elevated in December when I had some labs done

I want to be a good no great example for my kids!

I want to have more energy to go and do things, not just cuddle...I want to be active with my family!

I am 35...I have a long life ahead and I want to enjoy it and not feel constant self loathing and self consciousness.

I do not want to feel my lower stomach on the tops of my legs anymore

I want to be able to have a real family picture taken and NOT make excuses why I can't. I am so proud of my family. I waNt to be seen with them, they are amazing

I want to have a pic of my husband and me professionally done (something he's asked for since 2002...our wedding photo)

I want to have sex with my husband of almost 12 years....and not feel like it has to be black as night in the room (sorry if tmi)

I want to not turn over n pretend I am asleep instead because I am soooo self conscious of my body 50% of the time.

I want to be...healthy and have a healthy relationship with food.

There are many many more reasons...I won't keep going on here but...these are some ones close to my heart.

Thanks for being so brave and posting this thread!

I wanted to improvemy quality of life..period..I wasn't sick.or diabetic or any pressure issues..but I was miserable..I couldn't and wasnt enjoying any of the things a young mother should enjoy..I started a new career and almost turned down a promotion because I didn't want to fly and be embarrassed in any ay about my size on the plane..I wanted to drivemy husband wild instead of feeling lie we just have sex because we love eachother....I want to go on a cruise and go rock climbing and repelling and ride carnival rides.....I could go on and on...ool

I am blown away by your honesty in this thread...There are a lot of things that you say that I could have been your double in...All the things that have happened to you happened to me just about!

I can now hug my grand daughter so close to me it is surreal....she was the last straw for me to get this done....I wanted to be here for her and love her as long as I can..To be there for her as long as I can ...And enjoy being her Nana for as long as I can............This was the deciding moment for me when I held her when she was 8 weeks old and fell madly in love with her....

Even though I was the walking dead it was this little light in my life that sealed the deal for me...............I love being her Nana!!!! :)

I'm in Snohomish County too! I had my surgery on 12/16. I was pre-diabetic and did not want to become diabetic.

SLVRSAX - May I ask where you were sleeved? And shout out to my Sno homie!

Thank you everyone!

I really appreciate your responses, this post has been buzzing in my head for a week or so now.

I don't know about the brave/thank you's part though, I just felt like writing it down and sharing it (all be it with a modicum of anonymity) with my BariatricPals would help. But I have to say that coming from RJ, knowing your story, is stunning. ..

Edited by SnohoGal98296

Thank you everyone!

I really appreciate your responses, this post has been buzzing in my head for a week or so now.

I don't know about the brave/thank you's part though, I just felt like writing it down and sharing it (all be it with a modicum of anonymity) with my BariatricPals would help. But I have to say that coming from RJ, knowing your story, is stunning. ..

What ever your reasons for your thread are okay with me...Honesty helps us to deal with all the stuff we have gone through and will go through with this journey...Unless you are up front and personal you cannot heal..So many on this forum know where you have been and are scarred by their past and it will affect them always..But!!!!!! They are strong enough to change all that, open themselves up and move forward...I see that strength in you. Honesty and courage to change....

I think you got this, no matter what happens!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you for your kind words concerning my journey...Soon we will be on it together, just in different places ;)

SLVRSAX - May I ask where you were sleeved? And shout out to my Sno homie!

Love Snohomish county, I've been here since 2008! I was sleeved in TJ, Mexico by Dr. Ariel Ortiz at Obesity Control Center. It was a great experience, moving right along at a good pace.

SnohoGal I sent you a pm but I don't know if it went through. If you don't get it, let me know :)

Goals are what keep us going through the hard times. These are valuable thoughts to commit to paper..eh..media. Pre-op when the diet sucks or post-op when you just don't feel like hittin the gym before work, remember these things and use them. They can push you forward when nothing else can. Blessings to you on your journey.

All my best,

Jay

I got the sleeve to gain control of my health and fitness. I no longer wanted to be prisoner to my weight struggles and low body image. I have a long line of horrible family medical history and my quality of life was declining in addition to my immune system and overall health. I was fatigued and exhausted all the time. I felt 50 years old. I was developing high blood pressure. I felt disgusted with my appearance. I was tired of dieting and failing. It was the best decision I've ever made in life. I have more energy for my son. I feel 15 years younger. I am feeling more confident about the woman I see in the mirror. My health has improved and depression declined.

I got the sleeve to gain control of my health and fitness. I no longer wanted to be prisoner to my weight struggles and low body image. I have a long line of horrible family medical history and my quality of life was declining in addition to my immune system and overall health. I was fatigued and exhausted all the time. I felt 50 years old. I was developing high blood pressure. I felt disgusted with my appearance. I was tired of dieting and failing. It was the best decision I've ever made in life. I have more energy for my son. I feel 15 years younger. I am feeling more confident about the woman I see in the mirror. My health has improved and depression declined.

I'm so glad you noted that your depression declined. I'm praying this does the same for me also. Thanks for sharing that!