Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

About 5 days post op (1/21) and I'm hungrier now than I was preop. I'm supposed to be on clear liquid for another week, then full liquids for two weeks, and I dunno if I can take it! The preop diet sucked, but I guess I had assumed I'd lose my hunger some for the post op. I'm getting 70-80 oz of Water in without blinking and eye, and no problems with Protein (except for the taste).

Some people get lucky (not me) and lose their hunger for a period of time (sometimes a year) and some of us unluicky ones never lose it (like me, got it back 10 days post op). Not sure how u get filled on Clear Liquids, I was on full liquids for 4 wks so I could drink Protein shaks and cream Soups to help fill that void. Ur just gunna hafta suck it up until u can have more substance. Sorry. The post op diet truly sucks

Don't even fathom eating food right now. I was even leary about eating Jello post op for fear it was too formed. I was terrified of causing a staple line leak. U don't want that

Good luck to u. Keep drinking, eating Jello and popsicles. Hope the time goes by fast. Sorry no good advice. ((Hugs))

Oh I know I can't eat, I'm just super bitter ;-)

As is I'm going to find out tomorrow if I can talk my surgeon into fast tracking me to stage 2

Some people on here have said post-op hunger can be reduced or remedied by an acid reducer (prilosec or similar). If you're not one one, you may benefit from it. And if you're already on one, you may benefit from an increased dosage. Ask your surgeon.

I had my surgery on 1/8/14 and I have been hungry from day 3 and on. I do find that if I drink something it takes it away for a while. But sometimes it is still there. That is when I drink a Protein drink. I'm sorry you are going through this also. But know you are not alone.

I am a little disappointed to read your post....I was thinking one of the most positive things about the sleeve was loss of appetite.....oh no ):

Yup I'm 3 months out and never lost my hunger. And it's NOT head hunger it's true "feed me Seymour" hunger. I was thoroughly disappointed as I too thought hunger would be a thing of the past. I wasn't lucky in that area. However, I am always surprised that no matter how hungry I get even when it feels like I could take on a whole buffet by myself I'm completely full after 3 or 4 bites which is really mind blowing when you compare what I would've eaten pre-op. I've also tried to look at it as a positive for Protein since I can get all of my protein in easy and there are others who really struggle with that. You'll never know til afterwards how your body will respond. I'm sure you've heard that everyone's experience is different. Keep your fingers crossed ????.

Thanks for the comments! I think the hard part is I cannot eat anything right now. I totally believe that the hunger may subside quickly, but it's just not going to happen when all I have is yet another nectar. I recall reading that acid may be causing this.. My Dr prescribed Nexium, but there was some hold up and it didn't get filled over the weekend. If it turns out to be that, it would be fantastic!

Hi, hang in there. I was sleeved on 1/16 and thought I was going to gnaw my arm off until a few days ago. Suddenly, at 8 days out I lost most of my appetite. Remember to keep hydrated, that should help.

I'm hitting 70-80 oz of Water, sometimes more. If I drink any more water I'll float away!

I am on 40mg Omeprazole daily but did go through a little bout early on where I was getting "hunger pains". 2 teaspoons of Maalox made the "hunger" go away instantly so I can only conclude it was acid. Once I went to puréed and especially soft food, I'm so full all the time I can barely get my fluids in. Even now I will get hunger pains, but it's usually right after I eat certain things, so again, probably acid.

I might have to try Maalox then, tums hasn't done any good. Still hoping its acid!

As JeanZ said if you are already taking an acid reducer you may need to switch brands or increase the dosage. Some people have to try several different brands to find on that works for them. Acid can seriously feel like major hunger. If you are getting all your liquids I would check into this. Call your surgeon if you need to. Most people do not have true hunger feelings this early on. Best wishes to you!! :)