Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am scheduled to get banded on Feb 4th and am trying to do as much research as I can prior. Are there some foods that will be off limits forever after getting banded? I love sushi but have read that sticky rice is a no-no, is that true long term ?

You won't know what's off limits till you try it. Everyone is different and what some can tolerate, others cannot so don't presume anything. Oh, and I love sushi too so if you can't tolerate the rice, have the sashimi instead.

There are some things like Soda and carbonated beverages that lots of doctors advise against after surgery. Also some people have issues with doughy products certain breads, pasta's and sometimes rice.

I do not consume any carbonated beverages or soda's. I have had bread, Pasta and rice since being banded in very small well cooked portion and haven't had any problems.

Mainly you want to be sure that the foods you do choose to eat are of high quality nutrition, but I have found very few things that I personally am unable to tolerate.

Good luck as you continue to move forward!

There are a few foods that I have to pay close attention to when eating but I can still eat most anything.

I had sushi last weekend and did have a stuck episode. The problem for me with sushi is the bites are so big and it's so difficult to nibble on sushi. Shoving an entire or even half a unagi or dragon roll bite in my mouth is a surefire problem. If you can find a way to nibble on all your food, you should have few problems.

I can eat anything if I chew it well, but there are some foods whose taste I don't like if they are chewed too long, like rare steaks or some kind of fish, above all shell fish.

Before being banded , I used to eat huge amounts of pizza, but now it is a bit difficult because melted mozzarella, if I don't swallow it fast, turns into a sort of chewing gum.

Small problems, if compared to the joy of being healthy and fit!

I choose not to eat bread. My husband is gluten intolerant and we hardly have it in the house anyway, so this is not a hardship. Some banders report issues with bread as it swells. I just decided to avoid it as it's not what I should be eating anyway. I thought I might come out lactose-intolerant as I have had some issues with milk and other dairy products over the years. Now I have no issues at all -- can eat cheese, etc. Mushrooms turn out to be a problem for me as they seem to be too rubbery for me to really chew up well enough. Every one has these little individual things that they find over time. Oh, meat must be falling apart for me -- no beef that doesn't really break down well. Just means I need the really good stuff if I'm going to have meat. Good luck to you -- February will be here soon!

In the beginning you will find you can eat jut about anything, and will have to force yourself to stay away from the foods high in calories...as the band gets adjusted, you will start to find there are foods that are less tolerable to swallow...

The more you get adjusted...more restriction, the more types of foods that will become difficult, and perhaps some impossible...

But keep in mind, the band is adjustable...so depending where you choose to have it adjusted will dictate the feedback it gives....and people will choose to have their bands adjusted to their liking...

I like where I am at, and have been for over 2-1/2 years now, coasting along with little or no effort...

Myself, I no longer eat anything made of dough, such as bread, pies, do-nuts, Pasta, etc, etc...

I no longer eat meat...no longer eat rice, potatoes unless they're mashed........cannot tolerate anything breaded and deep fried....

I DO drink carbonated drinks, including beer...but I DO NOT recommended it to everybody, especially if you are just starting out...there is more important things to learn...

It's funny though, majority of foods I no longer eat, are not foods good for me in the first place, and many are high in carbs...

so I am not complaining, and it turns out there is a silver lining to it all....

i generally can eat anything except deli meats. or leftover Proteins. even if i put butter or gravy or mayo on it. these things tend to get stuck. but your doctor will have a list of no no's. and you will find your no no's as your band is adjusted. good luck on your surgery and make us one of your tools through your recovery period. and make sure your doctor is number 1 contact number. you will be needing it.

I had never eaten sushi before ever because I knew it was raw fish. The thought of that just made me want to barf. However my daughter tried it after going to college and loved it and suggested I try it. Well I finally did at a Christmas party and loved it. I only ate two but had no problems as they were prepared very soft. I actually can no longer eat oranges and bananas unless they are blended and most pastas. Everything else I can do but I take my time and chew so I won't get stuck. Just follow your meal plan and you will be successful.

Edited by Lady VS

I had never eaten sushi before ever because I knew it was raw fish. The thought of that just made me want to barf. However my daughter tried it after going to college and loved it and suggested I try it. Well I finally did at a Christmas party and loved it. I only ate two but had no problems as they were prepared very soft. I actually can no longer eat oranges and bananas unless they are blended and most pastas. Everything else I can do but I take my time and chew so I won't get stuck. Just follow your meal plan and you will be successful.

I was the same as you until my sister took me to a buffet that included a sushi bar. I tried a few and now I love it that was six years ago. I have had to change quiet a bit of things I love eat. I am praying sushi is not one of them.

Edited by MzEboni912

I'm guessing after surgery are taste buds change. Ive never liked fish until now (still can't stand the smell of it) but the taste is now appealing to me. Go figure anyway thanks for sharing your stories with us. It helps allot. I'm 11 days post op and struggle with food in my mind.

After you've had your band for awhile and a few fills you will just look at certain foods and know you shouldn't even attempt them. For me, those are foods like thick breads, tortillas, and donuts. You may also realize that every bite you put in your mouth needs to be the biggest bang for your buck (so to speak). For example, if you're eating a sandwich take away half the bread. The meat and a little bit of bread will satisfy you. Good luck to you. The band is a wonderful tool.