Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone ,

My name is Aasma and i am due for my lap band on the 3rd of Feb.I am both excited and scared and would appreciate all the guidance and support. Right now I am on pre-op diet that is to be low fat and at least one Protein shake.

Okay ,will it hurt a lot after the op :o

Aasma,

You'll do great! These feelings are completely normal! I'm the biggest baby there is when it comes to Dr.'s, pokes, surgeries etc., so if I can do it anyone can! :-)

The rewards are so worth it! Just follow the instructions the Dr. gives you to the T, if you have any problems call them immediately.

I didn't expierence alot of pain, just more discomfort than anything and that was caused from the gas pains. The incisions themselves didn't hurt me at all. The best thing to do (even though you aren't going to feel like it) is walk around as much as possible, walk around the living room in cirlcels, just anything to get that gas moving so you can get it out of your system, the more you sit the worse it will get. Make sure you have Gas-X Strips, sugar free Popsicles, Mylanta, lots of pillows, a heating pad (to place where the gas pains are) helped me alot, SF Jello was a life saver, Protein shakes, (I use nectar chocolate Truffle), and just sip, sip, sip. You want to make sure you stay hydrated.

Congrats to the new healthy you taking shape. YOU GOT THIS!!!

Hi there, I am just shy of three months out and so happy with my new banded life. I was nervous about the surgery as I'd never been an overnight hospital patient before and I think we all get the jitters beforehand. Plus the pre-op diet kind of dials things up as we are not tamping down stress with food anymore. For me, the surgery was so much easier than I thought it would be. I was elated. Yes, some discomfort but it felt purposeful -- a great cause. Me! It wasn't like being ill or having to endure real pain. I knew exactly what was going on thanks to so many people here on the forum. A super positive attitude really helped me, and the walking. I walked and walked. This kicked off the healing in my body and helped me shrug off the anesthesia. I had a prescription pain prescription filled but didn't use it -- got by on Tylenol and Ibuprofen and after a few days did not need those. So much easier than dentistry in my book (and I've only had one root canal) or having my back really out, a cracked rib, etc. So much easier than any of that and quick healing with a laparoscopic procedure.

It wasn't difficult or painful for me. I don't react well to anesthesia so I felt traumatized for a week afterwards. My wife said I was still loopy 6 days later.

I do read on the forum of many people who seem to be in terrible pain. Some even say they have a high tolerance to pain. Mostly it's shoulder and chest pains from the gas that's pumped into your body cavity and it can take a month for that stuff to dissipate. Incision sites can ooze and be very itchy just days later.

I'm told it's a lot like childbirth. A few months later and all is forgotten. I had kidney stones twice and I'd have the surgery over kidney stones any day.

tmf

:))))) now I am freaking out more about the gas than he actual surgery but I am so glad I found this forum.Thank you for your reply.So is your appetite less now?

:))))) now I am freaking out more about the gas than he actual surgery but I am so glad I found this forum.Thank you for your reply.So is your appetite less now?[/size]

Hi and welcome. Your question about less of an appetite is complicated. It's not like a light switch that goes on or off. It's a process...and it takes some longer than others. All I can say is listen very closely to your band. Don't eat more than you should...even if you can. Eat when you are truly hungry and not because you are bored, or upset, or any of the reasons emotional eaters lose control. Good luck...ask your doctor or nutritionist about support groups and feel free to come here as often as necessary.

Oh yeah. I find it nearly impossible to overeat as long as I stick with healthy foods. It's the chips, nachos, ice cream, candy, cookies(slider foods) that slide through the band and give no satiety and only spike my insulin levels so that I just want more an hour later.

You'll do fine if you stick to the rules. Good luck!

thank all for your replies.I feel more confident about my decision but am very scared that I might fail as i am an emotional eater.I am hoping that the band will restrict my urge to eat :)))))))) hopefully (fingers crossed)!

thank all for your replies.I feel more confident about my decision but am very scared that I might fail as i am an emotional eater.I am hoping that the band will restrict my urge to eat :)))))))) hopefully (fingers crossed)!

Hi Pinkylaty :-)

I get your concern about emotional eating. That was one thing I learned/realized about myself. I haven't been banded yet, but I'm trying to find ways to cope with my emotional eating. For example, when I use to get upset, Talenti and Famous Amos were my two best friends. Now I grab my earphones and listen to some of my favorite (happy) tunes. After shuffling across the floor for a minute I tend to forget what upset me. If I just absolutely have to put something in my mouth, I try to grab something healthier- grapes, a banana, baby carrots or celery & Peanut Butter and some Water. I'm hoping this helps! Good luck with your band. I'm sure you'll do great!