Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many people have you shared your lap-band experience with?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. How many people have you shared your lap-band experience with?

• No one or Only my significant other
    • Limited number of people, closest friend/family members
    • Most of my Family & Friends know
    • Everyone & Their neighbor's Dog know

I wasn't going to tell anyone, even my husband. But it ended up that I have told everyone! I am a nurse and I have taken this opportunity to educate my coworkers and anyone else that asks about it. There is enough negative images around WLS. And you know, it has been nice. They have been supportive and are keeping me in check too!

Is it hard to keep it a secret from people?? Don't they realize your eating differently?!

It depends how restricted you are. After fills it takes me a while to readjust my eating habits and figure out what I can eat and what is going to get stuck.

I told everyone that I had changed my habits and if I'm out I will either drink (alcohol) or eat, not both and that way I get away with just having a few fries. Also I try and eat before I go out there is nothing worse than being in a toilet trying to bring back the item that is stuck.

All my friends are always on a diet so they don't think twice and my weight loss is so slow that they don't think 'ooh she's had weight loss surgery'.

Also the major factor is I live on my own so it's easier....

Everyone I know is on a diet too, so no one notices that I eat different. I really don't eat any different than anyone else though, except for not drinking with my meals and eating Protein first. Only one person has said something about me not drinking with meals and I just said I don't drink when I eat. But a lot of people who don't have a band don't drink when they eat, so it was no big deal.

Well I wasn't planning on shouting it to the world, but I'm from a VERY small town and my mother seen a cousin of mine who works in the medical field and my mother being the kind worried mom that she is, asked my cousin about it and told her that I'm getting it. So now the whole town will know about it!!! So I might as well shout it to the world now!!! LOL That's ok though, Cuz i'm not ashamed anyways. I just didn't plan on making a huge poster about it and holding it up at football games or anything! I might as well go for it now!!! LOL!! GO LAPBAND!!! =D

. Only one person has said something about me not drinking with meals and I just said I don't drink when I eat.

I always just order Water and drink until my meal comes, then quit. No one has ever noticed yet that I am not drinking with my meal. Of course, some docs want you not to drink 30 min before meal, however, my doc said I can drink right up until I start eating. Then don't drink for 1 hour afterwards.

Is it hard to keep it a secret from people?? Don't they realize your eating differently?!

I really don't eat that differently, just healthier and not as much. I will tell you, people will begin to suspect you have had surgery, just by your weightloss. The fact is, very few people are able to diet and keep the wieght off long term. So when someone loses a lot of weight, no matter how slow it is, people start to suspect it, and thats what has happened to me.

I was prepared to answer the question "how are you losing weight", however, I was never prepared to answer the questions "did you get the lap band?". I have been asked that several times, and I asked why did you? and walk away. I have decided the next time someone ask me that, I'm going to ask How much do you make a year? I am going to put them on the spot and just show them how rude their question is! If I wanted you to know, I would tell you.

I think its rude for someone to ask about your medical history and anything too about your medical proceedures. Again there is a law called HIPAA for a reason. Everyone and I mean everyone has a right to keep their medical history private. Its our right. Its also your right to tell if you chose.

I have told 1 co-worker, wife, children and their spouses and my parents

My son in law and daughter are trying to talk me out of it.

At work I brought it up two years ago and they said I didn't need to do that. I was 313 lbs. Know my insurance will cover it. Dec 3 the paper work will be submitted. I hope so badly that they will accept and schedule me right away.

My co-worker friend she's a nurse and gives good advice, she is the only one at work that knows. Others are asking questions though. Wanting to know whats up?

I don't want anyone to know because I think they judge you.

Blessings

bearbelly

I am banded now and the only person who knows that is my sister. I haven't told anyone else. I started changing my eating habits months ago letting people know that I was trying to eat healthier. One of the reasons why I chose this procedure was that weight loss is gradual, thus not having to explain to people why the dramatic weight loss.:cursing:

My loss is immediately noticed & I KNOW the next question is…how I did it. I tell everyone who asks that I changed my eating habits, started working out and got the lap band. I have no shame in it and I like to educate people about it! I have a few co-workers who are now interested in the procedure & 1 who is on her way to surgery very soon!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Hey there! I told a select group of people. My best friends and my family. Though now I am starting to feel guilty about it now that people are starting to make comments about my weight loss. I kind of feel like a liar even though it was a very personal choice for me, I guess I feel like a lot of people will see me differently and judge me for my decision.

weight.png

Band date 04-08-08

Edited by grlluvstech

I wonder how easily I'll be able to keep it a secret when I'm eating a quarter of what I normally eat? Office workers, family members and friends will all be curious. I live in New York City, and going out to eat is almost a nightly ritual. I'm really concerned about what people will say and what I'll say, etc.

I have lost close to 100% of my excess weight now, and it is still a secret to almost everyone. I have gotten sick a couple of times near others and just claimed a stomach bug. It has not been difficult, but I did cut out a lot of eating out with others.

Now that I am at the end of the road, I decided that if anyone is really struggling and could possibly be helped by knowing how I lost it, I would share the information.

Yea, I agree, if anyone ever asks me if I had surgery, I won't lie about it. It may help someone else. There is a girl at work who is always complaining about her weight, and I want to tell her about the band, but no one at work knows I have it, so I haven't said anything. I also don't eat out much anymore. We are having thanksgiving dinner at work wednesday and it is at 11 am, I can't eat much that early in the day and I'm a little worried about what people may say.