Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fave comfort food?

Ultimate comfort meal for me would be chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes, both smothered in gravy and some fresh bread. But alas, I will never eat it again :rolleyes: But I think I got enough of it to last a lifetime before surgery :eek:

I have discovered smothered steak. It's probably fattening but I can eat it. To make it, you take some round steak and cut off all the fat and crap. Then salt, pepper and garlic it and dip it in flour. Put some grease in the skillet and brown the meat then pour in about 3 cups of Water and let it simmer away for a long time. The meat will get really tender. I always let the Water boil away and scrape up the brownings and eat them. They are the perfect mixture of flour and grease. Then I make gravy with the leftover grease and I mean to tell you this is good. I learned to make this from my mother and aunt, good old Okies who can cook. I like to make this because it is really good and is Atkins sound. Also the tenderizing of the boiling is wonderful because I can eat this stuff without PBing.

I have discovered smothered steak. It's probably fattening but I can eat it. To make it, you take some round steak and cut off all the fat and crap. Then salt, pepper and garlic it and dip it in flour. Put some grease in the skillet and brown the meat then pour in about 3 cups of Water and let it simmer away for a long time. The meat will get really tender. I always let the Water boil away and scrape up the brownings and eat them. They are the perfect mixture of flour and grease. Then I make gravy with the leftover grease and I mean to tell you this is good. I learned to make this from my mother and aunt, good old Okies who can cook. I like to make this because it is really good and is Atkins sound. Also the tenderizing of the boiling is wonderful because I can eat this stuff without PBing.

I don't know how to cook, Hag. Fat and crap... what's the crap? Simmer for a long time... how long is a long time? An hour? Six hours? All day?

What is round steak? I know T-Bone, what is round?

My Mom died before she told me how much a smidgeon is. How much is that?

Ice Cream. Preferably a large hot fudge sundae with whipped cream and almonds or pecans. Or a huge, huge bowl of vanilla ice cream with Hersheys chocolate Syrup if I'm desparate.

Fortunately now that I have the band I can't do the large bowl anymore. I went berserk one night when I was all alone and binged on ice cream and Hersheys and my tummy bloated until my port bulged out so much I had to put pressure on it for a long time. Revolting. Positively revolting. Not to mention just plain stoopid! :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: And downright pathetic.:omg:

Ice Cream. Preferably a large hot fudge sundae with whipped cream and almonds or pecans. Or a huge, huge bowl of vanilla ice cream with Hersheys chocolate Syrup if I'm desparate.

Fortunately now that I have the band I can't do the large bowl anymore. I went berserk one night when I was all alone and binged on ice cream and Hersheys and my tummy bloated until my port bulged out so much I had to put pressure on it for a long time. Revolting. Positively revolting. Not to mention just plain stoopid! :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: And downright pathetic.:omg:

LOL!!!!!!!! BTDT!!!! Only mine is Fritos! I barf on yogurt but I can eat a bag of Fritos.

I totally relate!

I have a few, my first one is the cheese sampler at Le Cellier in EPCOT at Walt Disney World, it is a selection of 3 cheeses, on crackers and topped with various toppings. One is blue cheese, with rasberry something or other, I only eat the blue cheese, then there is a brie with olive mouse (I have olives but this is devine) then there is a goat cheese, I can't remember the name but it is a nice salty cheese, with a nice oak flavor...heaven on a plate.

The next is from the same place... it is a

Crab and Salmon Timbale - Smoked salmon layered with Canadian rock crab, Mascarpone cheese, and citrus Syrup.< /span>

Oh good lord, this is good...

Last but not least is also at Disney, only in the Magic Kingdom, it would be a Hot Dog from Casey's, they have the best all beef dog on the planet. I will have one without the bun when we go, it's not the same but still Damn good. I have a side of chili and chop the dog up and have it like franks and Beans, topped with a touch of their spicy mustard and some kraut.

Top any of these off with a Dole Whip and I have had a really good day, because 1, I'm in Disney and 2, those are the things that make me feel like a kid again. ~Mandy

....I don't HAVE a 'comfort food' these days....the Holy Shredded Wheat is as close as it gets....

I find that bran flakes provide a lot of comfort for me since I'm old as the hills and need lots of Fiber. I have trouble eating fresh vegetables though I eat cooked vegetables, but bran flakes will provide daily comfort every time.

I don't know how to cook, Hag. Fat and crap... what's the crap? Simmer for a long time... how long is a long time? An hour? Six hours? All day?

What is round steak? I know T-Bone, what is round?

My Mom died before she told me how much a smidgeon is. How much is that?

I'm a picky eater which is weird for a fat girl. I cut off all the fat on a piece of round steak and cut out anything that looks weird, like blood veins or whatever. You can read the tags on the meat at the store and it will say bottom round or top round. Either one will work. I simmer the smothered steak for about an hour to 1 1/2 hours on the top of the stove until it's fork tender. You stick a fork in it and wiggle it around to see if it sort of breaks up. If it does, it's done. Take it up and let the flour fry down so you get to eat the brownings which I scrape off the bottom of the skillet. Make sure you cover the steak while it's simmering so that it steams. I find that covering stuff while baking it or simmering it really tenderizes it which makes it easier for me to eat. Also cooking stuff for a long time at low heat tenderizes it, so when I bake something, I usually allow about 1 1/2 hours of baking time. When I get the brownings out of the skillet, I make cream gravy. Gravy is hard to learn to make, but once you get it down, you can do it. You keep about 2 tbs of grease in the skillet (I pour the rest in a coffee can to use later) and add about 2 tbs of flour or more to make the roux sort of like melted caramel. Then add a cup or more of milk and stir it around when it starts to boil. Salt and pepper the gravy to taste. This gravy is criminal, it's so good. I have to make it because Mother demands it. I then put the gravy over the smothered steak and eat it. The idea of smothered steak is that it makes it's own gravy which it does, so you can take it up when it gets tender and is surrounded by gravy. But that means you can't eat the brownings. Mother never gets the brownings since I scrape them all up and eat them. But if you don't particularly care for grease and flour, just serve the steak with it's own gravy. Be sure to put plenty of garlic on the steak before you cook it as well as salt and pepper. I think garlic is God's gift to mankind.

I make pork chops by putting them in a baking pan with about 1/4 cup of Water and letting them bake for about 1 1/2 hours. Then I take them out and broil them for a few minutes to brown them. They are very tender and good though somewhat dry. So I usually make some sort of veggie to mix with the pork chop when I eat a chiclet sized piece of the pork. I absolutely love Stouffer's cheese potato bake which comes frozen and serves 2 people. It works really well with pork chops. I also like their Harvest Apples which are good with pork. I sometimes make a small pork roast by putting it in some tin foil in a pan and dumping a can of sauerkraut on it. Seal up the tin foil and bake it at 350 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours. You can then open up the tin foil and let it brown. It doesn't taste like sauerkraut. It tastes good. The Harvest Apples are good with this.

I don't make much chicken anymore, but one recipe that really tenderizes chicken is Maryland Country Captain. It's a lightly curried chicken dish with tomatoes and onions. You can probably find a recipe online. I use my Betty Crocker cookbook from abouut 1962. I highly recommend old Betty Crocker cookbooks. You can always make the stuff less fattening and the recipes taste really good.

Another thing I like is ribs from the grocery store. I get the cooked baby back ribs which are cheaper cooked than they are raw. Then I cut the rack of ribs in two so they'll fit in the pan, brush a little more barbecue sauce on them and put a little water (maybe 2-3 TBS) in the baking pan with them and cover the pan. Cook them for about an hour and they will be really tender. I put a little more barbecue sauce on them and broil them for a couple of minutes because I think barbecue sauce should be slightly burned to taste good. This is because my Dad always burned the barbecue sauce. I absolutely love these ribs. You can do the same thing with raw baby back ribs. Just brush some barbecue sauce on them, add a little water and bake them for about 1 1/2 hours or so and proceed like the bought ribs. I like to cook though I find it boring to cook everyday. So I experiment to see what I can eat.

Hope this helps. Cooking can be really fun and intellectually challenging. Be prepared to screw it up at first though. I have learned to eat burned things. If it's too burned for me, the dogs will eat anything.

I'm a picky eater which is weird for a fat girl. I cut off all the fat on a piece of round steak and cut out anything that looks weird, like blood veins or whatever. You can read the tags on the meat at the store and it will say bottom round or top round. Either one will work. I simmer the smothered steak for about an hour to 1 1/2 hours on the top of the stove until it's fork tender. You stick a fork in it and wiggle it around to see if it sort of breaks up. If it does, it's done. Take it up and let the flour fry down so you get to eat the brownings which I scrape off the bottom of the skillet. Make sure you cover the steak while it's simmering so that it steams. I find that covering stuff while baking it or simmering it really tenderizes it which makes it easier for me to eat. Also cooking stuff for a long time at low heat tenderizes it, so when I bake something, I usually allow about 1 1/2 hours of baking time. When I get the brownings out of the skillet, I make cream gravy. Gravy is hard to learn to make, but once you get it down, you can do it. You keep about 2 tbs of grease in the skillet (I pour the rest in a coffee can to use later) and add about 2 tbs of flour or more to make the roux sort of like melted caramel. Then add a cup or more of milk and stir it around when it starts to boil. Salt and pepper the gravy to taste. This gravy is criminal, it's so good. I have to make it because Mother demands it. I then put the gravy over the smothered steak and eat it. The idea of smothered steak is that it makes it's own gravy which it does, so you can take it up when it gets tender and is surrounded by gravy. But that means you can't eat the brownings. Mother never gets the brownings since I scrape them all up and eat them. But if you don't particularly care for grease and flour, just serve the steak with it's own gravy. Be sure to put plenty of garlic on the steak before you cook it as well as salt and pepper. I think garlic is God's gift to mankind.

I make pork chops by putting them in a baking pan with about 1/4 cup of Water and letting them bake for about 1 1/2 hours. Then I take them out and broil them for a few minutes to brown them. They are very tender and good though somewhat dry. So I usually make some sort of veggie to mix with the pork chop when I eat a chiclet sized piece of the pork. I absolutely love Stouffer's cheese potato bake which comes frozen and serves 2 people. It works really well with pork chops. I also like their Harvest Apples which are good with pork. I sometimes make a small pork roast by putting it in some tin foil in a pan and dumping a can of sauerkraut on it. Seal up the tin foil and bake it at 350 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours. You can then open up the tin foil and let it brown. It doesn't taste like sauerkraut. It tastes good. The Harvest Apples are good with this.

I don't make much chicken anymore, but one recipe that really tenderizes chicken is Maryland Country Captain. It's a lightly curried chicken dish with tomatoes and onions. You can probably find a recipe online. I use my Betty Crocker cookbook from abouut 1962. I highly recommend old Betty Crocker cookbooks. You can always make the stuff less fattening and the recipes taste really good.

Another thing I like is ribs from the grocery store. I get the cooked baby back ribs which are cheaper cooked than they are raw. Then I cut the rack of ribs in two so they'll fit in the pan, brush a little more barbecue sauce on them and put a little water (maybe 2-3 TBS) in the baking pan with them and cover the pan. Cook them for about an hour and they will be really tender. I put a little more barbecue sauce on them and broil them for a couple of minutes because I think barbecue sauce should be slightly burned to taste good. This is because my Dad always burned the barbecue sauce. I absolutely love these ribs. You can do the same thing with raw baby back ribs. Just brush some barbecue sauce on them, add a little water and bake them for about 1 1/2 hours or so and proceed like the bought ribs. I like to cook though I find it boring to cook everyday. So I experiment to see what I can eat.

Hope this helps. Cooking can be really fun and intellectually challenging. Be prepared to screw it up at first though. I have learned to eat burned things. If it's too burned for me, the dogs will eat anything.

Wow! Thank you!

I do know how to make ribs. Sounds gross but it REALLY works for we .. cooking challenged.

Boil 'em. Boil the heck out of them and then when they are done put them on a cookie sheet kinda thing and smother in BBQ Sauce. Bake till the BBQ bubbles and they are fantastic!

I don't cook often but when I cook for friends I make this because it works. My friends who actually know how to cook look at me like I'm doing something wrong. They taste it and ask for details so they can do it too.

My dogs won't eat just anything. Sometimes I have to go to KFC, Chinese, Jacks, etc. before I figure out what one of them actually wants that day. And no, they are not spoiled. Just loved a lot.

Yeah, this is interesting reading. I can tell that Bitter is from Oklahoma. I have all the same recipes that my mama used to make too. I also have always depended on the Better Crocker cookbook that I got as a shower gift when I was married in 1964. The later versions are not nearly as good. All that low-calorie stuff. It's just not right!

As for our dogs. I have been preached to so often about not allowing them any people food. Only dog food. Now that the dog food manufacturers are trying to kill my dogs, I figure people food won't kill them nearly as fast as bad dog food from bad manufacturers.