Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Undecided...looking at lap band vs gastric sleeve

Hi, I am 45 yr old female who is 5'11 with wt of 346lbs as of 1/17/2014 when I had my consult with the surgeon. I went in looking more into the lap band with curiousness of the sleeve. The surgeon had told me that if I was his sister he would recommend the sleeve for me due to my weight. The thing I am more worried about is the complications of one more than the other. I have always been interested in the band since it came out and just now as of last year my insurance covers the WLS. I would like more info from ppl whose wt was around what mine is and with any complications, success, trials, wt loss and any other topics that you may think I need to know before I decide what is best for me. I have been reading on this site for the past 2 days and figured it would be best just to ask...Thank you all for any comments and god bless.

Hi Susan-

I was banded in September. My starting weight was around yours when I started the process of looking into WLS. I had a friend tell me to try to eat like I was banded already before surgery and I lost weight. I'm down to 240ish now and I couldn't be happier. It's true the band doesn't help you lose weight as fast as some of the other choices. Bottom line: You need to decide about how you feel about part of your stomach being removed. With me, that was what lead me to the lap band. Sure, there are complications--but that goes for every WLS. If you read some of the forums you will find tons of users who have lost over 100 lb with the band. So, it is very possible. I plan on being one of those!

Check out some of the VLS forums and ask the same question and see what they have to say. It's such a personal decision. I don't think there is any wrong choice as long as you stick to the diet required by each procedure you can be a success.

I'm laughing b/c this topic can cause the "ugly" to come out of people. No worries! They're just passionate about their decisions.

any WLS is wonderful and can help if used correctly

my dr wanted me to have bypass when i went for help but have the band/plication...i was starting

at a BMI of 62 and 336 weight.i was as wide as i am tall...

i say as blue suggested, research all surgeries but in my opinion, no one WLS surgery is better than the other..

results vary as with all things in life....pick one and do your best..its all we can do

The others have given you sound advice. research before you leap!Best wishes to you!

As a person that was revised FROM a band TO a sleeve, I would suggest you check out BOTH the sleeve forums and band forums for information. Also, there is a section in the sleeve forums that those of us that have gone through the revision process post discussions about our journey of change. Each of these areas have people with veterans (long time experience) as well as folks that are fitting your physical description and concerns.

Do a search in each of these areas and you'll find previous posts discussing things. I hope this helps. Good luck making your decision. I'm guessing you have guessed what advice I would give.... ;-)

Sleeve or band, both would have worked for me but I went with the band because I didn't want to lose 85% of my stomach. I think I could have been successful with the sleeve too. Be careful, there are several angry X banders on the sleeve forum. Since you can have the band removed and revise to another surgery, there are some folks who didn't do well with the band and revised.

There are also some folks who use antiquated studies and inaccurate information to put down the band. Good luck and like I said, either one can work for you. It's a personal choice.

tmf

I am sure you will do great with either! I did great with the band until it broke and had to have removed. My tubing was also punctured even under fleuroscopy! I would never bash the band but if I had to do it all over again, I would have chosen the sleeve at the start! Good luck! Both are a blessing!

A lot of great advice already has been given Susan so in an effort not to repeat mostly what has been said already I will simply say do not let your high BMI dictate one over the other. I had a BMI of 78. I was 450lbs 20 months ago the day I had my band put in. This morning I was 214lbs. So you can lose a lot of weight with the band but it does take some work and a lot of patience.

You can be successful with either surgery. It's just a matter of deciding which is best for you. We're all different and our bodies work/react differently with each tool.

What ever WLS you decide is right for you we will be here to support you and cheer you on through and through!!

Good Luck

Thank you all for your advice. I really do appreciate each of you. I have been looking at both forums and doing research on both. I am really leaning toward the lap band though just for that it can be removed and I can lose weight with it also And become healthy again. I started my first day of my 1200 cal a day diet for my 3 months of medically supervised diet....yay one day down...lol. My co-workers are so supportive, one even has started a diet to go along with me. My husband and family are all behind me in which ever I decide to do. Please keep up with the advice, I love reading each of them.

I'll offer this, my opinion.

I'm over 4 years post op with my band and still attend occasionally support group meetings when I can. And also some pre surgery seminars....as an "alumni".

I've seen folks do very well with bands, sleeves, and RNY's...no question all can work. Here's what concerns me....

At these support group sessions I attend, there will be folks who are struggling, started to regain weight, etc. I asked at the last meeting two weeks ago of a couple sleevers who were struggling: "what does your doctor/surgeon/nut recommend to help you lose weight now?" Answer, "diet and exercise"........ NOTHING else. I've was told diet and exercise for over 20 years...and I tried. Thats why I like my ADJUSTABLE band....

Edited by catfish87

Hi, I was banded in April last year! My weight loss has been slow but I'm getting there & learning along the way! I'm happy with the band & I know I need it to get to where I need to be! My downside for me is the pain in the left shoulder has been there since day one...but I'm happy to live with it! My girlfriend had the sleeve done years ago and lost a lot of weight but she has since put all her weight back on & now wants to get a band to loss it again! I guess both work if used as tools but either option requires you to assist! I don't have great will power so the band works for me! I wish you the best & Good luck with choosing what right for you! ????????

Hi, I am 45 yr old female who is 5'11 with wt of 346lbs as of 1/17/2014 when I had my consult with the surgeon. I went in looking more into the lap band with curiousness of the sleeve. The surgeon had told me that if I was his sister he would recommend the sleeve for me due to my weight. The thing I am more worried about is the complications of one more than the other. I have always been interested in the band since it came out and just now as of last year my insurance covers the WLS. I would like more info from ppl whose wt was around what mine is and with any complications, success, trials, wt loss and any other topics that you may think I need to know before I decide what is best for me. I have been reading on this site for the past 2 days and figured it would be best just to ask...Thank you all for any comments and god bless.

I'm a sleever and as I read your question I noticed that you said that this is the last year that your insurance covers wls. You may need to ask them will they cover the visits of maintainance of your band, it may turn out that once the rudder is removed you won't be covered for your 'fills' and adjustments.

I myself never thought about the band and surgeons in my area are starting to explain that they are having to do more revisions or removals. I couldn't see myself with the port sticking out of my body, or the fact that I would have to continue to see the doctor for maintainance, I'm like "Cut it out and throw it away".

But like others said, do you're research. You are the only one that knows what's right for you.

Good luck on your journey!

Well I wasn't at a starting weight of where you are but for my height I was considered morbidly obese nonetheless. All I can say is continuously do your research, ask your or different surgeons their opinions. How the surgery is done, continue to read this board etc. You have to make a decision based on your lifestyle. I chose the band because I didn't want any of my organs cut. Period!!!!! So that is something to consider. If they aren't broke, don't need to fix them. I have had my band for three years, one month, one week and one day. I am soooo happy I have it. It is the best thing that I have done for myself. I finally reached my goal in July and I am maintaining pretty well. I am actually planning to see my doctor next month for a six month check up. I don't need to but I just want to. Anyway, good luck in making your decision. You have definitely been giving wealth of experience already. Cheers

Edited by Lady VS

I question WHY? Your surgeon only suggested the Band or the sleeve. If he only does these two surgeries you might want to find a surgeon who is well versed in all WLS's. Just a thought.. RESEARCH and yes, ultimately it's your decision Make it a good one, allot of insurance companies are going to one WLS per lifetime :(

BAND has reoperation rates higher than the other surgeries.

Yes, removal of 80 of the stomach with the sleeve. Both are restrictive surgeries meaning they help you to eat less.

RNY = gastric bypass has malabsorptive but if you are a sweet eater? It might be something to consider.

DS = duodenal switch actually has a 98% success rate, it's malabsorptive, and lifetime of supplementation, and open surgery not something most want to deal with.

Good Luck in your decision.