Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Journal to Lap Band Surgery

Hello my fellow Lap Banders:

Today is the second day since Lap Band Surgery and what I see as a new way of life. After years of struggling with my weight, I finally made the decision on Lap Band surgery. I am 48 years old 5"7 and 260lbs. I am married to wonderful and supportive man and I have two teenagers ages 13 (girl) and 15 (boy). I am the only person in my family that is overweight. Kind of like Chris Christie, the government of NJ, I considered myself a "healthy" fat. I walk at least 2 miles 3 times a week and go to the gym once or twice a week. I have what I call "pre-diabetes" which is really just diabetes but it makes me feel better to call it "pre-diabetes". And, my blood pressure and cholesterol are within normal limits. With that all said, my reason for deciding on weight loss surgery is simple - I wanted to keep up with my family and their active lives. But more importantly, I wanted to feel better and be healthy both mentally and physically.

Over the last two decades I've found that I can have a very addictive personality. food has always been a source of comfort for me. Two of my favorite foods are homemade biscuits and pancakes. My grandmother, God rest her soul, was a biscuit and pancake maker extraordinaire. So, of course, I have now perfected those recipes and serve to my family. They do enjoy these foods but not nearly like I do. My husband jokingly has said, "Those biscuits take you back to 1979 sitting at your grandma's kitchen table without care in the world except whether to use honey or jelly on those biscuits." Guess what? He is so right. Some of my fondest memories are in the kitchen with my Grandma - talking, laughing, cooking and of course eating.

My second addiction started in high school, blossomed in college and brought me to my knees in 2008. I am a recovering alcoholic. I've been sober since May 2008. I went to my first AA meeting on May 24, 2008 and haven't had a drink since. I followed the 12 step program - got a sponsor, got sober and never felt better. If you know any thing about AA, it is not a program to make your stop drinking, it more about teaching you how to live a better life. It certainly changed my life. Of course there can be a downer to sobriety. Once the booze stops going in which is pure sugar most alcoholics develop a love for sweets. Some are satisfied with a small piece of candy or chocolate to curb the craving but not me. My sugar cravings extend to cakes, pies, Cookies, and anything chocolate. That is one of the reasons I chose lap band over gastric by pass. I was afraid that completely taking sugar from my diet would awaken my desire to drink. With the lap band, I could have a manageable amount of sweets without getting the "dumping" syndrome.

So now, here I am. I find myself on day #2 following surgery slowly drinking a Protein shake and writing in my online journal about my lap band procedure. I just started this journey so I cannot offer anyone advice or uplifting comments. I can only say that I am glad to find this forum to talk with others that are going through what I'm going through now.

My husband took a before picture of me the day I was leaving home for surgery. I will post if I get up nerve.

Thank you to anyone who reads my story.

Edited by T-BEAR

Congrats on all of your accomplishments. Believe me if you are a sweet addict like me you can't even have a small amount. It puts me right into a binge for weeks. I can not control that part of me even after four years being banded I just can not eat sweets. If I eat one piece of candy I will eat the bag. Yes slap me in the face but its true. You will do fine. Just listen to your body. It will guide you.

Good luck, I'm in the same boat as you, addictive personality, AA as well, clean since 1998, then the weight came.

Watch the Protein Drinks so early, stay hydrated first, lots of clear fluids,

Hi T-Bear, we have a great deal in common and similar stats weight wise. I'm 52, mother of a teenaged boy, supportive spouse, my family doesn't struggle with weight issues, etc. And like you I have been an exerciser for a long time and supposedly carried my weight really well (this makes me guffaw now!). I'm not a baker but I am a dedicated cook. I'm happy to report I can still do that but I'm not hungry for the results.

You will find yourself in good company here as far as compassion for addiction. Transference is such an issue and of course there are many people who switched up to sugary treats from some other addiction. I've been working on transferring to exercise -- a positive addiction. Let's just say I'm not afraid of going overboard with this one but I want to be thinking about working out and how I'm going to get my walk in the way I would have been inventorying the cheese in our fridge before or planning to stop somewhere for a treat.

You are doing so well -- I can hear the clear thinking and honesty in every word of your post. I love my band. I'm just getting into the swing with a good fill and ten weeks in or so. I love having that appetite monkey off my back. It's like getting out of food jail. And choosing myself first has been a very powerful decision. Of course every one benefits when I do this because I am happy and healthy. These are exciting times and I'm really glad you're here.

Thanks for sharing your story. Post your pic. I know how you feel. I've missed out on so many pictures in the past due to self consciousness. This is the place you can be open. We are all in the same boat. Best wishes to you on your journey.

Hi T-Bear and welcome. I have found this a great place and people with all steps in the journey.

I haven't been at this that long so it is all new to me.

Have you thought about joining OA? I would like to do that but it is to far away for me and no disabled parking.

Now I am on regular foods I have found that the Akins frozen dinners have been very helpful for me.

Good Luck to everyone and keep in touch.

Wow! Thanks for sharing your story. Welcome to banderland and much success to you.

Edited by Lady VS

Yay T-Bear! You posted your before pic! I love it. I was looking at myself in the mirror in my workout clothes today. From the front I look OK,, but then I turned to the side and I thought, I look like a giant potato with stick arms and legs. I almost took a pic to post. I should have. Maybe next time.

Oh- and I meant to tell you that I do the same thing about the "pre-diabetes." I just refuse to acknowledge that it IS DIABETIC. And I'm a nurse. I should be ashamed. The things we do make ourselves feel better. lol.

T-bear: You have come to our very helpful site and I feel you have taken the first step in the right direction. . . . . . everyone will tell you to check with your doctor. . . . . . they're all a little different. . . . and we all think we know the ropes but we can only re-tell our experience. . . . . We welcome you and wish you a successful, healthy & happy future!

Jo

Today is the second day since Lap Band Surgery and what I see as a new way of life. After years of struggling with my weight, I finally made the decision on Lap Band surgery. I am 48 years old 5"7 and 260lbs. I am married to wonderful and supportive man and I have two teenagers ages 13 (girl) and 15 (boy). I am the only person in my family that is overweight. Kind of like Chris Christie, the government of NJ, I considered myself a "healthy" fat. I walk at least 2 miles 3 times a week and go to the gym once or twice a week. I have what I call "pre-diabetes" which is really just diabetes but it makes me feel better to call it "pre-diabetes". And, my blood pressure and cholesterol are within normal limits. With that all said, my reason for deciding on weight loss surgery is simple - I wanted to keep up with my family and their active lives. But more importantly, I wanted to feel better and be healthy both mentally and physically.

Over the last two decades I've found that I can have a very addictive personality. food has always been a source of comfort for me. Two of my favorite foods are homemade biscuits and pancakes. My grandmother, God rest her soul, was a biscuit and pancake maker extraordinaire. So, of course, I have now perfected those recipes and serve to my family. They do enjoy these foods but not nearly like I do. My husband jokingly has said, "Those biscuits take you back to 1979 sitting at your grandma's kitchen table without care in the world except whether to use honey or jelly on those biscuits." Guess what? He is so right. Some of my fondest memories are in the kitchen with my Grandma - talking, laughing, cooking and of course eating.

My second addiction started in high school, blossomed in college and brought me to my knees in 2008. I am a recovering alcoholic. I've been sober since May 2008. I went to my first AA meeting on May 24, 2008 and haven't had a drink since. I followed the 12 step program - got a sponsor, got sober and never felt better. If you know any thing about AA, it is not a program to make your stop drinking, it more about teaching you how to live a better life. It certainly changed my life. Of course there can be a downer to sobriety. Once the booze stops going in which is pure sugar most alcoholics develop a love for sweets. Some are satisfied with a small piece of candy or chocolate to curb the craving but not me. My sugar cravings extend to cakes, pies, Cookies, and anything chocolate. That is one of the reasons I chose lap band over gastric by pass. I was afraid that completely taking sugar from my diet would awaken my desire to drink. With the lap band, I could have a manageable amount of sweets without getting the "dumping" syndrome.

So now, here I am. I find myself on day #2 following surgery slowly drinking a Protein shake and writing in my online journal about my lap band procedure. I just started this journey so I cannot offer anyone advice or uplifting comments. I can only say that I am glad to find this forum to talk with others that are going through what I'm going through now.

My husband took a before picture of me the day I was living home for surgery. I will post if I get up nerve.

Welcome to the family. My surgery is next Monday. I am excited not nervous. I hope everything is going well for you.

My husband took a before picture of me the day I was living home for surgery. I will post if I get up nerve.

Good luck on your journey!

This is a very helpful site. (I recognize you from SparkPeople) Look to the "Next Unread Topic" at the very bottom of each page and "click" to browse through some very helpful threads and you will get help from the folks with their questions & responses. This is the best of the internet! Wishing you a healthy future. . . .

Jo

Welcome T-Bear. You will find an abundance of information and support on here. We all have our demons to deal with. I believe Sugar is as addictive as cocaine. I also had diabetes.. There was no pre-diabetes to it. I was on Metformin and had to monitor my sugar every day. Diabetes is a very dangerous disease if not addressed. Good for you to get it under control now. I had my band last year and have lost almost 60 lbs. I no longer require meds for diabetes, cholesterol or blood pressure . Being healthy was my main motivator but looking good is also important. I can now feel good in my clothes. I still have some lbs to lose and I will get to my goal this year. There will be days ahead that are difficult for you but remember that you want to be healthy and happy .. We will be here for you.