Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi from Ireland!

Greetings from the US. I will be in Killarney (Cork) in two weeks, as I am considering moving to Ireland. I am an American who had the lap band in Dec. 2008. I am 11 weeks out and have lost about 22 lbs. How tough is it to get fills/support for lap banders in Southern Ireland? Thanks, in advance.

Hi anabeni, Well done on your weight loss,it is very tough to get information in Ireland, i had my surgery done in Belgium because its much cheaper then in Ireland,my surgeon comes to Dublin once a month only for that i dont Know of anywhere i would get fills from depends where you have your surgery, if i had it done here i would get the aftercare,but because i had it in Belgium they would be reluctant to see you sorry hope this helps, welcome to Ireland:smile:

yup Still lurking just so quiet around here afraid to comment !!!!!

yup Still lurking just so quiet around here afraid to comment !!!!!

Hi Loriha how are you doing with your weight loss are you glad you had it done how much weight have you lost,i had my band done in Belgium 6th of March purely because it was to expensive here im doing ok at the mo but purely going on my own will power no restriction yet have had 2 fills the first one was 3mls the second one 2mils very hungry at the mo getting next fill Monday 8th of June i just emailed my doc port site very sore hope there's nothing wrong do you know if it is unusual to get port pain 11 weeks post op lol:smile:

My port site was uncomfortable for about 5 months

but settled when i got used to it

Will catch up soon goto run

My port site was uncomfortable for about 5 months

but settled when i got used to it

Will catch up soon goto run

Thanks Loriha my port site was very sore post op for about 3 weeks and then it was fine up to now 11 weeks post op just got sore all of a sudden i can feel it move a bit when i bend down where you like that could you feel it moving a bit when you bend down or sit starting to panic a bit i have heard they can flip over lol:smile:

Are any of you good folks still around?:lol: Pretty quiet the last couple months.

Hi Lyn281 sorry ment to say hi how are you getting on with your weight loss im from Kildare good to see peeps from Ireland lol:smile:

Hi Lyn281 sorry ment to say hi how are you getting on with your weight loss im from Kildare good to see peeps from Ireland lol:smile:

Hiya Shoes. Was it Bruno Dillemans done your band? I hear he's a fantastic surgeon. I am still dithering re wls.:grouphug: Have managed to keep a stone off from my highest weight from start of this year which I am pleased with. Joined OA 6 months ago and will still go to meets if I go ahead with surgery.

ETA: Loriha, congrats on your 70lbs off, that's excellent!

Edited by Lyn2481

Hi guys,

Newbie here!!!

After consulting with Beacon and their huge price tag, I have decided to go ahead with Dr CDB in Belgium. He came recommended however my mum has heard a horror story of banding where the ladies bowel was snipped, and now I'm, thinking twice...although carrying 6 extra stone isn't gonna help me health either.

I can see the Dr Chris comes highly recommended.

I am due to visit Frederick on 2nd July and after his email of availability dates would hopefully opt for surgery on 5th august

Can anyone tell me how they felt about the service they received from Belgium?

thanks

Siobhian

Hi

I was banded April 07 only lost one and a half stone in two and a half years. I have joined lighter life where they use cognitive therapy to help you after weight is gone. If lighter life was in ireland I would never have gotten band as soon as I have the money I will have it removed it made my life a misery. I got sick a lot eating normal foods and the only foods that went down no problem was chocolate. I also found if I was anyway stressed I got sick even with foods that would normally not cause me a problem. If you are realistic and know you have to work on the psychological side of your eating habits then yes I would reccomend Chris De Bruyne.I only attended as an after care option when advanced cosmetic surgery went to the wall but I found them very professional and helpful. If you think it will be a miracle cure for your weight its not, the band can only work as well as you make it. Good luck whatever choice you make for me the band was a very negative thing but for many it has been very positive ,only you can make the choice and it is good to see both sides before choosing.

Hi guys,

Newbie here!!!

After consulting with Beacon and their huge price tag, I have decided to go ahead with Dr CDB in Belgium. He came recommended however my mum has heard a horror story of banding where the ladies bowel was snipped, and now I'm, thinking twice...although carrying 6 extra stone isn't gonna help me health either.

I can see the Dr Chris comes highly recommended.

I am due to visit Frederick on 2nd July and after his email of availability dates would hopefully opt for surgery on 5th augu

Can anyone tell me how they felt about the service they received from Belgium?

thanks

Siobhian

Hi Topping, i had my surgery the 6th of march i have lost almost four stone the band gave me the kick start i needed but still takes a lot of will power it is only an aid you have to work with it i kept telling myself i did'nt put myself through surgery to give in to temptation its not easy, the fills can be frustrating getting to your sweet spot i think i am nearly there having 4th fill on 2th July and i know when i do get full restriction the weight i have lost wont go back on but you have to work with the band hope this is of some help to you as for Dr chris and hes team i could not fault them in any way the hosp was spotless, have know regrets it has give me the push i needed any ? i will help if i can:smile::)

Hi

I was banded April 07 only lost one and a half stone in two and a half years. I have joined lighter life where they use cognitive therapy to help you after weight is gone. If lighter life was in ireland I would never have gotten band as soon as I have the money I will have it removed it made my life a misery. I got sick a lot eating normal foods and the only foods that went down no problem was chocolate. I also found if I was anyway stressed I got sick even with foods that would normally not cause me a problem. If you are realistic and know you have to work on the psychological side of your eating habits then yes I would reccomend Chris De Bruyne.I only attended as an after care option when advanced cosmetic surgery went to the wall but I found them very professional and helpful. If you think it will be a miracle cure for your weight its not, the band can only work as well as you make it. Good luck whatever choice you make for me the band was a very negative thing but for many it has been very positive ,only you can make the choice and it is good to see both sides before choosing.

OMG did I write that? I'm the exact same. Banded April 07 and have yoyo'd between 15-35lbs weight loss...currently on the wrong side of the yoyo AGAIN....I'm really not doing this band thing well. I about to go for a fill tomorrow...ALL the way to LONDON to pay a fortune...and all to just get 1ml in!!!! I'm not getting any more because last year it was so tight it nearly cut my air supply off!!! I dunno...starting to think I shouldn't bother going over now.. I'm afraid it'll get tight again.

Band for me has sucked..It's not so much restriction as obstruction!! Anyone else?

Hi

OMG did I write that? I'm the exact same. Banded April 07 and have yoyo'd between 15-35lbs weight loss...currently on the wrong side of the yoyo AGAIN....I'm really not doing this band thing well. I about to go for a fill tomorrow...ALL the way to LONDON to pay a fortune...and all to just get 1ml in!!!! I'm not getting any more because last year it was so tight it nearly cut my air supply off!!! I dunno...starting to think I shouldn't bother going over now.. I'm afraid it'll get tight again.

I'm gonna have a look at that lighter life thing. Because I'm just paralysed in a cycle of emotional eating. there's no 2 ways about it, whatever the F**K is going on with me is so psychological, even when restricted I sabotage!!

Band for me has sucked..It's not so much restriction as obstruction!! Anyone else?

I'm gonna have a look at that lighter life thing.

Scrap That!!! Just had a gander to find out that it's a shake/bar programme...NO THANKS!!!

I'm gonna have a look at that lighter life thing. Because I'm just paralysed in a cycle of emotional eating. there's no 2 ways about it, whatever the F**K is going on with me is so psychological, even when restricted I sabotage!!

Hi Lunasa, sorry to hear you having such a bad time with your band,can i ask you what do you mean by obstruction i had my band done in Belgium on the 6th March im doing ok but its getting harder as i hav'ent got much restriction just relying on my own will power at the mo,i am getting 4 fill 2 July hoping to get good restriction then, also can i ask you how did you sabotage your band :blushing::w00t: