Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

serious second thoughts

Hi guys! Im hoping you all can get me through some of the doubts im having the closer I get to surgery. Im 25 years old and 360 pounds. Im terrified of the risk of developing a blood clot with surgery. I know the actual surgery has some great success statistics but blood clots are a risk to any surgery and that seems to be what im hung up on. I understand the mindset that if I stay this weight I will die but that doesnt seem as instant as a clot would. Im only 25 years old..not married and no kids..so the "I might die anyway" rationalization isnt calming me-no matter how true it is. To top it off the danger zone for blood clots last for weeks after the surgery and I dont know if I can handle that looming over my head. Before I got insurance approval I was very ready for my surgery..now im not so sure. Any advice or things your doctor's might have said about the same concerns? Ive got a novel sized lists of questions ready for my surgeon! Hoping for insight! Thanks guys!

You know something...This was my biggest concern I had pre-op as well, but I followed my instructions, and made sure I got up and walked around 3-4 times a day at the hospital, and worked up to my 30mins a day when i got back home. I told myself that I needed to keep moving to prevent the clots! It's the fear of the unknown that always gets to us, but I'm sure you would regret it if you passed it all up over that one risk which is general to every surgery. Good luck in whatever you decide!

It's normal for us to have that freak-out moment. I'm still freaking out. But I sat down and made a list of the things in my life that this surgery could possibly do for me and a list of the ailments I'd suffer from if I didn't get it.

If dying is on your surgery list, well it'll definitely be on the "what will it be like with no surgery" list. The obesity-related deaths are so scary. You're so young and I only wish this surgery were available when I was your age.

Talk to your doctor, explain your fears and listen when the dr explains precautions to take to prevent clots.

This surgery is a life-changer and you are given blood thinners. You will be up walking around a lot, you can do this.

Katt, I just had surgery on 12/18. I'm 25 and was 383 a week before surgery.

I don't think you need to worry that much, they will give you blood thinner shots generally to keep you from clotting (and compression booties!).

Get it done, it'll be the best thing that ever happened to you.

Edited by Tikvah

​Hi,

I am one week post-op and I must commend you on the research you have done. I wasn't as concerned with blood clots as I should have been, but luckily my doctor and the nurses were. Maybe to ease your mind you can ask your doctor what the plan is to help prevent them?

While I was in the hospital they gave me 4-5 blood thinners to prevent blood clots and they put these cuffs around my feet and ankles that pulsated and helped with the blood flow. It actually felt like it was massaging my feet, I liked it. Once I was able to get up and walk I didn't have to wear them. The doctors and nurses just keep pushing you to walk. It's the best thing to help with clots and recovery.

Each doctor and hospital is different, but check with your doctor. I'm sure that he/she will put your mind at ease. Good luck with your upcoming surgery :).

I actually have a blood clotting disorder and have had 2 DVT (leg clots) and two in my lungs. I am on blood thinners for life. If you move and the will give you heparin after, your risk is minimal. Also if you do get them, it doesn't mean you automatically die. I am living proof. Watch for hot spots and leg pain, for signs of a leg clot; for the lungs it is usually a feeling like someone is sitting on your chest and both of mine I developed a dry hacky cough. You will be fine. With my history and a genetic predisposition puts me high risk and the dr will be doing everything to prevent them. The compression cuffs and shots after should get you through with flying colors and keep moving. Being sedentary puts you at higher risk after surgery. Best of luck.

I am under 40 with a low-ish BMI, so I was low risk and ended up with a clot anyway, even though I walked, had compression stuff, etc. It was painful and scary, but I'm ok now. I'm not losing a damn bit of weight, but I'm ok. Getting a complication doesn't always mean it's going to be fatal :)

There are people who ignore every freaking dr order and do fantastically, and people who do everything right and fail or have complications. All you can do is research your options and do the best you can.

It's not irrational to have fear of the unknown, actually rather normal. This is major, life-changing surgery and any number of complications could arise, a blood clot being but one. However, at your weight, if you do nothing...you know how the story will end, i.e. stroke, heart attack, going to sleep...and not waking up, etc. Please don't think I'm trying to be a downer here, only repeating (almost verbatim) what I was told not too long ago...when I had major reservations about proceeding with surgery.

While it may not seem like it right now, you are so young and have an incredible life ahead of you! (My God...to be 25 again! LOL)

Life is far too short to fade into the background of pics, dread the waitress sitting you at a booth (that you know will be uncomfortable), asking a stewardess for a seat belt extension, avoiding flimsy chairs, shopping in the "Modern Woman" (or whatever other cutesy name they can think of for "Fat People's Section"), etc., etc. The list in endless.

Ultimately, whatever you decide needs to be your decision, no one else can or should make it for you.

Being a bereaved father, I guess I look at things a bit differently (or in a goofy way as some would tell you! LOL). I feel if it is our time to go, it is our time to go..regardless of what you do, when you do it or how you do it...when your number is up, your time here is done.

I had a textbook experience and never had a single complication. My wife was sleeved 2 months after me and had a rough 3-4 weeks (she had two hernias that were also repaired). I am 8 months out and at my goal weight (lost 101 lbs.), my wife hit her goal about 3 weeks ago (70 lbs. down). The sleeve is not a magic bullet, you have to put in some work, but with less fat dragging you down, trust me, the energy you have is unfathomable!

Whatever you decide, good luck and Godspeed!

Thank you guys so much for the advice. Im scared but I think its important I do this because youre right- life is too short to keep living this way. I have a meeting with my surgeon and my surgery is scheduled for the 15th of Feburary.

I actually have a blood clotting disorder and have had 2 DVT (leg clots) and two in my lungs. I am on blood thinners for life. If you move and the will give you heparin after, your risk is minimal. Also if you do get them, it doesn't mean you automatically die. I am living proof. Watch for hot spots and leg pain, for signs of a leg clot; for the lungs it is usually a feeling like someone is sitting on your chest and both of mine I developed a dry hacky cough. You will be fine. With my history and a genetic predisposition puts me high risk and the dr will be doing everything to prevent them. The compression cuffs and shots after should get you through with flying colors and keep moving. Being sedentary puts you at higher risk after surgery. Best of luck.

Great advise, I to have a clotting disorder and I had no problems post op also. The compression devices as well at the Lovenox I was on kept me protected.

They give you a blood thinner shot in the hospital several times while you are there and they put compression booties on your feet. The shot doesn't hurt btw, it's such a small needle. I opted to have it in my stomach and I didn't feel it at all. Then again they had me on so much pain medication that that might be why I didn't feel any pain from the shot.

Hang in there girl and keep going. You will be glad to do this now and not 20 years from now. Also you will be able to have kids if you chose to after you loose the weight. If you did it now with it it could lead to you loosing the baby or your own life. Your health is ok now, but as time goes on it won't be. You are young live your life and break down the fat wall. We have your back. After 9 months I am down 127 lbs and have a great life. Which my kids are very happy for.

Thank you all so much for your insight. I did get my surgery date of feburary 15th and things are moving FAST. I read something today that said "If God leads you to it, he will get you through it" I really felt like suddenly all the doors opened for me to get this surgery ive been hoping for for 7 years. I was always denied because of insurance..it was a big series of events that got me to the point of having surgery next month and I believe god wanted that for me. You guys might not know the power of your words on this forum but they have given me so much confidence. I appreciate the reassurance and the advice. Im going to do this and everything is going to be okay! Thank you all!